Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > But it sounded like a good idea at the time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1103 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default But it sounded like a good idea at the time

I know this post would fit in better, subject wise, in the Survival Folder, but I wanted a wider range of responses from more of the general population here.

I was sitting around the cigar shop today -- slow rainy Saturday afternoon, and it was myself, the owner, and one other regular who also enjoys guns and related subjects. The other customer -- let's call him John -- mentioned that he had some discount codes for a surplus website, and he could order Chech army gasmasks for $10.00 after the discount. The owner -- let's call him Joe -- and I both sorta went "$10.00! Hell, I'll take two" or words to that effect.

It was only later that I thought, "isn't it sorta weird to sit around talking about ordering gas masks and such?" I mean, in 58 years of living I've never been gassed. And I'm not really sure who would want to gas me anyway.

It started out innocently enough. A few years ago I thought, you know, in case the power goes out for a couple of days, or there's some other emergency, I oughta keep enough food and water for a few days around, So I bought a few extra canned goods and a couple of cases of bottled water. Now I find myself storing rice and beans with oxygen absorbers in mylar bags and ordering #10 cans of freeze dried food. Looking up the specificaions of solar powered battery charges on Amazon.com. I won't say it's become an obsession, but it's definitely become a hobby. And it isn't helped by Joe and a couple of other people I know. They say, "I have 100 cans of soup stored, and I think, "HE has 100! I only have 50! I need to catch up". Joe and I do this to each other all the time, and our wives are threatening to forbid us to talk to each other anymore. I don't think they're joking.

Just like I think of outlandish situations that require me to buy a new gun, I think of survival situations and then find myself buying another wind up flashlight.

Am I being cautious in preparing for the Zombie Wars, or is there a twelve step program out there I should join?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-06-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5308 Times on 2914 Posts
Likes Given: 10141

You are a nut.

Would you be in the possession of said gas mask in the event of a gassing; or will it be in the basement/bunker with your other stores of apocalypse supplies? The odds are you will be home, but what if you are out when tragedy strikes?

No offense and none taken

Old 10-06-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
You are a nut.

Would you be in the possession of said gas mask in the event of a gassing; or will it be in the basement/bunker with your other stores of apocalypse supplies? The odds are you will be home, but what if you are out when tragedy strikes?
Well, then I need three. One for home, and one for each one of my "get home" bags. (Note: we WERE discussing the $10 gas masks at the cigar shop today, and I did think, "heck, for $10 why not", but I don't really feel a huge need for one. ).

Last edited by txpossum; 10-06-2013 at 01:27 AM.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 10-06-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1065

I have to wonder how well a 10.00 dollar gas mask would work?????
My first( and only) marriage sounded like a good idea at the time too??? I'll leave it there!!!

Last edited by rockratt; 10-06-2013 at 01:32 AM.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 10-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #5

Liked 1415 Times on 816 Posts
Likes Given: 989

When I was in the army we wore gas masks to go through the gas chamber. And a few times we spent a whole day walking around in NBC suits with gas masks on just so we would know what it was like. I was in during peace. So I never used one. I don't think I will be worrying about one. I keep food, water, a generator with extra gas and other camping equipment. I have a crap load of guns and ammo. But I don't really think I need a gas mask.

As far as needing a 12 step program...if you are simply stocking extra stuff that you use on a regular basis, that sounds normal to me. I probably have 50 or 60 cans of soup myself.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 10-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7554 Times on 3288 Posts
Likes Given: 1120

Whatta wack! Buying Czech gas masks! Hah!

Mine are US M17 Protective masks. With the decon kits in the pouch on the back of the carrier. Over there next to the Geiger counter.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 10-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #7

Liked 2184 Times on 1253 Posts
Likes Given: 1770

10$? You'd be overpaying.

You ever try one of those

Czech GMs?

Old 10-06-2013, 01:39 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockratt View Post
I have to wonder how well a 10.00 dollar gas mask would work?????
My first( and only) marriage sounded like a good idea at the time too??? I'll leave it there!!!
Well, they were $20.00 without the coupon.

http://www.budk.com/product/Czech-M10M-Gas-Mask-With-Filter/175307.uts

But I don't really CARE about the gas mask. It's just illustrative of how I think of buying things like meteor repellant these days.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:40 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Whatta wack! Buying Czech gas masks! Hah!

Mine are US M17 Protective masks. With the decon kits in the pouch on the back of the carrier. Over there next to the Geiger counter.

Well, it sounds like I need THOSE.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:41 AM   #10

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I recently started selling volcano insurance, inbox me for details!

:sarcasm:

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

People Like This