Business Logo ,, opinions ??? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Business Logo ,, opinions ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 02:41 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1917 Times on 992 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

It is very nice piece of art, but it’s not a logo. "Sorry to rain on your parade."

A logo should be able to be reproduced in solely black and white, like on the tee shirt. And its design elements should also be clean enough to be able to seen and understood even if it is reproduced quite small.

In this regard, the skull’s teeth, the detail scroll work on the medallion and the revolvers, the text ‘Firearms Ammo Transfers’ and 'Windham, ME' would just turn to mush and be unreadable when reduced to 1”. I suggest you see what a printout of it looks like when reduced to 1” or try reducing it on a copy machine to see how it stands up.

To get around this, logos are usually made in several versions. They may look similar but there’ll be one specifically modified for small reproduction on cards, letterheads, and small ads, etc. Another will be designed for medium sized reproduction and others for larger reproduction.

Or they may design a simpler logo that would just work regardless of reproduction size, like the Nike ‘swoosh’ or the Mercedes Benz (north)star.

This is an informed opinion from someone who was a commercial artist in NYC for 15 years and worked on and fixed a logo or two.

Last edited by Vincine; 08-29-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 08-29-2012, 03:24 AM   #22
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2479 Times on 1329 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
I had a fiend who is a graphic designer make me a logo for my store ( as long as my ffl goes through ) What do you guys think ?? I was picturing semi autos but I think I like the old school look with the revolvers.

Business Logo ,, opinions  ??? - The Club House
It is an interesting and well designed image, but let me critique it as a marketer.

First, I agree with Vincine. Simpler is better. It is easier to reproduce, and can be more memorable.

Second... the skull. Unless you want to restrict your market to ex-special forces, motorcycle gangs, and thuggee death cults; lose the skull. You don't want your logo to alienate large segments of your market. If I recall correctly, I read an article or listened to a speech last year which talked about the firearms market is growing not through "gun culture" people, but by new people buying firearms who have not grown up with guns. These people are not going to relate to skulls in logos.

Third... the revolvers. Revolvers are nice, but they have a connotation of something old and out of date. That means your company will have a tinge of old and out of date.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
Vincine Likes This 
Old 08-29-2012, 04:08 AM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Looks good.

The revolvers should have more contrast, the grips should stand out more, and they look like they are honeycombed. Never saw that on a wood grip before. Bone, antler, ivory or even checkered wood would be much better. On second thought ivory would be best. Make the color a bit yellower than the skull and have some very light grain and maybe some cracks in it.
The skull should be light bone color.

A little too busy IMO. Keep in mind the viewing distance. If you want people to recognize and read your logo from 20 feet away when it is on the chest of that hot babe then you need to look at it from 30 feet away with a hotter babe wearing it, and wet.

It looks better on the white T-shirt (and the girl looks great too) but you need to make sure the graphic will work well on all colors of shirts and in different colors for the graphic especially if the graphic is to be screened in one color. That shirt should be a bone or tan color, not white.

How will it look on a tan, black, red, yellow or blue shirt? Or do you have to change the contrasts and/or colors? I like the antique look, but you can easily incorporate any gun you want to into the graphic including modern long arms once this gets up and running.

If you use my ideas please send me a free shirt in XL. Or not. I'm OK either way.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:21 AM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
It is very nice piece of art, but it’s not a logo. "Sorry to rain on your parade."

A logo should be able to be reproduced in solely black and white, like on the tee shirt. And its design elements should also be clean enough to be able to seen and understood even if it is reproduced quite small.

In this regard, the skull’s teeth, the detail scroll work on the medallion and the revolvers, the text ‘Firearms Ammo Transfers’ and 'Windham, ME' would just turn to mush and be unreadable when reduced to 1”. I suggest you see what a printout of it looks like when reduced to 1” or try reducing it on a copy machine to see how it stands up.

To get around this, logos are usually made in several versions. They may look similar but there’ll be one specifically modified for small reproduction on cards, letterheads, and small ads, etc. Another will be designed for medium sized reproduction and others for larger reproduction.

Or they may design a simpler logo that would just work regardless of reproduction size, like the Nike ‘swoosh’ or the Mercedes Benz (north)star.

This is an informed opinion from someone who was a commercial artist in NYC for 15 years and worked on and fixed a logo or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
It is an interesting and well designed image, but let me critique it as a marketer.

First, I agree with Vincine. Simpler is better. It is easier to reproduce, and can be more memorable.

Second... the skull. Unless you want to restrict your market to ex-special forces, motorcycle gangs, and thuggee death cults; lose the skull. You don't want your logo to alienate large segments of your market. If I recall correctly, I read an article or listened to a speech last year which talked about the firearms market is growing not through "gun culture" people, but by new people buying firearms who have not grown up with guns. These people are not going to relate to skulls in logos.

Third... the revolvers. Revolvers are nice, but they have a connotation of something old and out of date. That means your company will have a tinge of old and out of date.
Both Vincine and Scott have great advice. Think small as well as thinking of viewing distance. I work more in sculpture and gates and stuff. You have to keep both near and far viewing distance in mind.

I am not drawn to the skull/tattoo/biker/Special forces culture, but I still like the design. I would wear it. But maybe think of a small left chest patch on the front and a larger more detailed full back graphic. Don't have them too busy. Keep them as simple as you can while maintaining a specific identity (yours).

Old 08-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #25

Liked 1917 Times on 992 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
. . . . Unless you want to restrict your market to ex-special forces, motorcycle gangs, and thuggee death cults; lose the skull. . . . . Revolvers are nice, but they have a connotation of something old and out of date. That means your company will have a tinge of old and out of date.
I think that's the niche market he's trying to appeal to. Thus the 'romantic' outlaw cowboy symbolism.

Last edited by Vincine; 08-29-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #26

Liked 1178 Times on 763 Posts
Likes Given: 2063

very nice logo . woundnt mind having one of those Ts also

Old 08-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #27

Liked 362 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
When do I get my free shirt?
Screw the shirt, who's the chic Looks real nice!

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
I think that's the niche market he's trying to appeal to. Thus the 'romantic' outlaw cowboy symbolism.

Last edited by ktmboyz; 08-29-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #29

Liked 705 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Reminds me of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_(video_game)

Good logo. Good game.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I think it looks great! Your friend does really nice work!