Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > this burns me up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 05:37 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

This is not advice because I did not go with ROTC. This is knowledge of good friends who have done the college military route.

1. ROTC Air Force guy got pilots license. Did 4 years stateside with the Air Force. Now commercial pilot for major airline, married to high shcool sweetheart and 3 (last I heard) kids.

2. RTOC Air Force other guy did undergrad and then went to med school. Now a high ranking and very successful doctor with the Air Force. Married to undergrad school sweetie with 2 kids.

3. Best friend in high school went Air Force right out of high school. Did 8 years then went to college and got his 4 yr degree. Went back Air Force and is a mid ranking officer. Married his high school sweetie with 2 kids.

Those 3 guys are just over 40. All 3 have their lives pretty much set for the long term.

Just from some that are friends of mine.

Many former and/or current military here who can give advice from their own experiences.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #42

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

*sigh* Alright, here's what is happening in my life... I need some help.

I have some grade school schooling in public and off and on schooling in middle school through a homeschooling thing called co-op.
Anyways, I have no high school schooling in public. My mother pretty much took my education into her own hands and this is where I am at now:
I have a really advanced knowledge on History. I took the most advanced book set available.
I am really good at language. I have impressed two college professors and people have questioned if I stole the writing off of the internet.
I took the most advanced Science but didn't complete it because I was going to take Chemistry and advanced Biology in college.
I didn't complete math because I needed more help than they were willing to give. So I haven't taken Algebra, Algebra 2 or Pre Cal.
I do not have Spanish 1 or 2 because I was going to take that in college.
Because I was home schooled I have never really taken a timed test. So I suck at timed tests because they are a new concept.

I was enrolled into SSU last fall. I took one class and it was Spanish. I failed it along with almost everyone in the class and the teacher might get fired because she taught so poorly. She never checked HW or anything. We are all disputing the grade right now.
Right now I am taking English and Algebra intermediate.
Guess what?... I failed my first math test. I had no one to help me and I was more than confused. I had never done algebra before, let alone intermediate.

Anyways, I turn 18 come June 20th. My parents will not pay for anymore college and I have no diploma. They want me to leave this summer and I have no idea what to do.

What should I do, and what do I need to get into the Marine Corps?

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Last edited by saviorslegacy; 02-24-2010 at 07:16 PM.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:20 PM   #43

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

The military now requires a High School diploma to get in (there are waivers, but since the economy sucks there's enough applicants). A GED is acceptable so that may be an option.

Sorry to see your folks didn't provide the "means" for a regular education and then are choosing to give you the boot.

BTW, I was a high school dropout and eventually did OK. Stay focused and you'll be OK as well...

Last edited by NGIB; 02-24-2010 at 07:31 PM.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #44

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I, too am sorry that your parents did not set you up with the needed educational opportunities.

Step 1: Get your GED

Step 2: Go to talk with a recruiter

Step 3: Do your best in whatever branch you can get in to.

Step 4: Take advantage of the opportunities the military provides and get out and see the world.

Keep reading and writing during all of this. Don't let anyone get in your way to provide yourself with the best that you can get out of life.

Step 5: Since you are smack dab in the heart of Mothman territory, get evidence of his existence and write a book about it and get rich. (I'm kidding of course)

I'd hate to see a fellow Southern Ohioan not take advantage of the opportunities available in today's world. Shawnee State, huh?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #45

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
I, too am sorry that your parents did not set you up with the needed educational opportunities.

Step 1: Get your GED

Step 2: Go to talk with a recruiter

Step 3: Do your best in whatever branch you can get in to.

Step 4: Take advantage of the opportunities the military provides and get out and see the world.

Keep reading and writing during all of this. Don't let anyone get in your way to provide yourself with the best that you can get out of life.

Step 5: Since you are smack dab in the heart of Mothman territory, get evidence of his existence and write a book about it and get rich. (I'm kidding of course)

I'd hate to see a fellow Southern Ohioan not take advantage of the opportunities available in today's world. Shawnee State, huh?
I want to join the Marines.
Yep, I am in Scioto county.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 02-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
I want to join the Marines.
Yep, I am in Scioto county.
SHAWNEE STATE UNIVERSITY* :: Basics
How close is that school? Call them & ask about free help for the GED; while you have them on the telephone, ask them if they know anything about financial assistance you could get to further your education, including Pell grants. Get them to give you the telephone number for the financial aid office & ask those folks if your family income is too high for you to qualify for financial aid and your options if it is. There were more than a few people at the Junior College i attended immediately after high school who were getting enough from Pell grants to pay their tuition, housing, and cafeteria fees with a teensy bit left at the end of the semester. Then ask the financial aid peeps if their is a ROTC program on campus that would let you go in a little bit ahead of some people just joining right out of high school. Colleges and community colleges have a lot of people who are interested in helping young people get a direction & education; they also have some very unimpressive governmental drone-type employees. The trick is learning to find the good/helpful peeps.

A friend of my nephew's is now on a ship somewhere after joining the Marines last year due to similar circumstances. His grandparents managed to get his mother to let them keep him in public school, and he did graduate, but with little financial backing or options for furthering his education or career training. I was very proud of the young man when he showed up after boot camp and some other initial training; he seemed more confident and was in much better physical condition. He also seemed like he knew that somebody "had his back" so to speak, for the first time in his life that i know of.

Good luck!

edit* I had to take Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Finite Math, and Business Calculus to get my BSBA; I haven't used anything past College Algebra since finishing college. I've been an auditor and an accountant for the last dozen or so years since.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 02-24-2010 at 09:07 PM.

Newest Threads