Burma - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Burma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviezombie View Post
this thread is not firearm related and therefore shouldn't exist?

as a yank in the pond, i am not offended by Boris' statement....in fact, it has a ring of truth to it. scottg also has hit something when he said <Burma is a client state of China. China could make them accept the aid, but they won't because starving, dying people are of no concern to them. Human life is cheap there. The elite will do only what's necessary to maintain themselves in power. What the people of Burma need is drop shipments of arms, as well as food. But we don't do that kind of thing anymore. It would make the evil people angry....>

movie zombie
*shaking head*

No dude - my point is, this website was founded as firearmstalk - but in this case, I haven't seen much of it from this one person. This thread has every right to be here. Stop trying to twist my question. My question is, if your sole purpose to be here is to just take political shot after shot at the forum, why join a firearms forum? Why not join a political argument forum based in the US?

I could click ignore - but I have already used that feature this week on someone I truly felt had little to offer me at all in the realm of firearms & wasn't worth my time. Boris, on the other hand, seems to really be worldly and have some good information, along with being highly intelligent and well read. But, in looking back at 2 full pages of his posts, I haven't seen a lot of what I assume is there, and his contributions seem to be a bit critical, almost in an attempt to draw out other members.

I'm not trying to say he has no right to be here, or to have opinions and post them. All I wanted to know was if that was his reason for being here, his political/world opinions, or if he does indeed own firearms and will be offering information in correlation with them.

It's an honest question - I am not here because of you, your country of origin, your love of red vines, disregard for the infield fly rule or how you feel about the societial state of Atlantis. Everyone has something to offer, and almost everyone here has brought forth some really good reading, of which I have enjoyed. What I am not here for is continually to see threads mucked up with a back and forth battle about foreign policy in a He Said / He Said format.

If the whole thing is offensive to the forum as it stands, I withdraw the question and will just disregard all of Boris' posts as I don't have an answer at this time....

Sweet F'ing Christ....

JD

JD

Old 06-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The original post was about aid to Myanmar. Nothing more can be said about it because the U.S. has offered millions of dollars in free aid and it was rejected, not once, not twice, but several times. I think we have fulfilled our "world obligation". People like Boris won't recognize the fact that the U.S. has come to the rescue of every third-world nation ,and then some, in their times of need. He see's things from the anti-American, United Nations NWO viewpoint which promotes global-disarmament . I fail to see why someone with those views would even take interest in a Firearms Forum based on the 2nd Amendment and based in the United States. While world news is relevant and is sometimes very relevant on a firearms forum, the opinion that Boris espouses regarding the "world view" and more importantly, the UN's view of the United States and it's firearms freedoms is antagonistic, contradictory to the views of most members, and runs contrary to the foundational beliefs which this country was founded on. JD had it correct when he stated that there are other forums which may be more in line with Boris' anti-American views. To make a comment like "besides, they aint got no oil" is inflammatory and offensive to me as an American. The UK and France didn't have anything the US wanted during WWII, but we saved their asses didn't we?

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-10-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
this thread is not firearm related and therefore shouldn't exist?

as a yank in the pond, i am not offended by Boris' statement....in fact, it has a ring of truth to it. scottg also has hit something when he said <Burma is a client state of China. China could make them accept the aid, but they won't because starving, dying people are of no concern to them. Human life is cheap there. The elite will do only what's necessary to maintain themselves in power. What the people of Burma need is drop shipments of arms, as well as food. But we don't do that kind of thing anymore. It would make the evil people angry....>

movie zombie
A ring of "truth to it"???? And what might that be? Are you implying that the only time the US comes to the aid of foreign nations is for oil or other resources? As a "yank" maybe you aren't offended, but as an American , ex-serviceman , and a citizen whose tax dollars have gone to aid foreign nations I certainly am! This country is far from perfect, but as a nation of people willing to give money, aid , and assistance to anyone requesting or needing it, we are second to no other nation on the face of this ****ing planet, and we neither ask for anything in return nor do we get it, not even a "thank you" in most cases. So if you aren't offended - you should be!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Boris - I have an honest to God question here. Do you own firearms currently? Because in looking back at like 2 pages of your posts, you seem to spend a lot of time taking shots at the forum, like the one above, but don't seem to be offering a lot in the way "firearmstalk" - which was kind of the purpose of the website I think.

I only ask because I don't want to miss out on something that you might be contributing that could be relevant to the world of the firearm, but really, I have no interest in coming to a site that I enjoy and reading posts that I would consider "baiting".

You have some strong opinions, which is great and you are welcome to them, but some of us aren't here to argue - believe it or not. I, for one, am here to learn some stuff and share what I know, so I really don't want to read thread after thread of back and forth battles.

While it's true, I could just click the ignore button, I was kind of wondering if there might be more to your reason of joining up here other than to spend some time "giving it to the Yanks across the pond". Don't they have sport shooting websites and hunting club websites in the South of France?

Honestly, I am not trying to be a d1ck here - You seem like a well read and intelligent fellow, someone who could offer something that I might gleen quite useful - I am just one that comes here not for battle, but to actually learn some things.

Thanks -

JD
JD...Yes I currently own firearms and in truth like most of countrymen, and even those in my adopted country I have extreme regard for the American people, if not the forign policy of their goverment. I was not aware that I have been over critical of the US, certainly if I have given offence to you I apologise that has never been my intention. Certainly as far as I am aware any personal observations I have made have never come close to some of the comments posted, and some have been ill informed and nothing short of ignorant. These individuals are of course intitled to their opinion, as am I.

Please do not take this personally as I am not refering to you here. On the other hand I do have a problem with the attitude of some on the forum who are ignorant and belligerent, who instead of entering into a debate prefer to sling personal insults. I, like you and most people can be persuded by reasoned arguement and I have learned one or two useful tips while I have been on the forum, but nothing can be learned from these individuals with their biggoted red neck mentality, fortunately there are very few on the forum. At first I have to say it was amusing, but it's getting a little old......and there I intend to leave it......

Old 06-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
A ring of "truth to it"???? And what might that be? Are you implying that the only time the US comes to the aid of foreign nations is for oil or other resources? As a "yank" maybe you aren't offended, but as an American , ex-serviceman , and a citizen whose tax dollars have gone to aid foreign nations I certainly am! This country is far from perfect, but as a nation of people willing to give money, aid , and assistance to anyone requesting or needing it, we are second to no other nation on the face of this ****ing planet, and we neither ask for anything in return nor do we get it, not even a "thank you" in most cases. So if you aren't offended - you should be!
sorry but my 84 year old ex-Marine dad is greatly offended when i tell him about the attitude i run into here at firearmstalk.com when occasionally i do post ....he says he didn't fight for another american to tell me what my opinion should or should not be. get into a political discussion with him and he'll respect your opinion but he'll tell you if he does not agree. i will note here that he's 180 degrees from you on most issues....this is the same man you told me in another post was a great man for his service to his country in WWII.....

i didn't see the original post as an invitation to rant re politics or the UN......but when it went that way, posters joined in. if this forum is meant only to hear one side and have one political politic, let that politic be 2nd amendment concerns only. i'd rather not hear that opposite views are not welcome when it comes to other discussions/issues....but then i don't own this forum. however, i will say there is much here at firearmstalk that i don't participate in because of the bashing that goes on.

dillinger, i thought you posted your original question quite well. however, most people seem to participate in the club house threads, not the actual gun threads. i agree it is disappointing as i too came here to learn more re firearms. i click and ignore so much at this website but i return hoping to learn something re firearms and post occasionally with the hopes of not getting flamed for having differing opinions and views. i am not suggesting that you have done so in your response. i've read many of your posts in various threads and find you to be articulate. i so agree with you re <What I am not here for is continually to see threads mucked up with a back and forth battle about foreign policy in a He Said / He Said format.> but once again that's what happened.

so, total thread highjack: anyone have any good revolver info they care to post? my contribution: there is a s&w model 19-2 awaiting its 10-day release-to-me date.

movie zombie

Old 06-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Would God discriminate ?

Old 06-10-2008, 07:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
JD...Yes I currently own firearms and in truth like most of countrymen, and even those in my adopted country I have extreme regard for the American people, if not the forign policy of their goverment. I was not aware that I have been over critical of the US, certainly if I have given offence to you I apologise that has never been my intention. Certainly as far as I am aware any personal observations I have made have never come close to some of the comments posted, and some have been ill informed and nothing short of ignorant. These individuals are of course intitled to their opinion, as am I.

Please do not take this personally as I am not refering to you here. On the other hand I do have a problem with the attitude of some on the forum who are ignorant and belligerent, who instead of entering into a debate prefer to sling personal insults. I, like you and most people can be persuded by reasoned arguement and I have learned one or two useful tips while I have been on the forum, but nothing can be learned from these individuals with their biggoted red neck mentality, fortunately there are very few on the forum. At first I have to say it was amusing, but it's getting a little old......and there I intend to leave it......
Boris - Thank you for your kind response. I meant no disrespect and I would hope it was not received as such.

I can agree to disagree with just about anyone, on just about anything, and as long as we can share information about pertinent topics, then I have personally, no problem with a viewpoint not my own. I feel that you are a knowledgable person who has seen and done quite a bit, most likely more than me, and I am always willing to listen and learn, especially from those that have already traveled a hard road.

But, truth be told, that post above is a bit of a slap in the face only because I have spent time, overseas, on behalf of my country, in a foreign land where a generation of people my own age wanted us out of there and to "mind our own business", when I didn't even want to be there. Outside of one base I was stationed there is a rally, every Friday, to this day, filled with youthful college kids chanting about getting the US out of their country ( Korea ) and let them re-unite their country. I didn't want to go to Korea, it was asked of me. If I put my top 50 travel locations on a piece of paper, Korea wouldn't have been one of them. But, I was there, and after being spit on, and pointed at and threatened, believe me, I was ready to let them have their country back in a heartbeat.

Then one day I was in a AAFES taxi cab, getting a lift from one point in town back to base. I asked to be dropped off at a smaller gate, instead of the main gate, even though the AAFES taxi's are cleared to go on the base. The driver asked me where I was headed and I told him Main Post. He said no problem and started driving, but he went right down the main drive where all the protestors were. This was exactly what I wanted to avoid because an AAFES taxi is like blood in a shark tank on Friday afternoons. Sure enough, the crowd starting yelling and pointing and carrying on. I was still wide eyed and not used to it at this time. I didn't make policy, I didn't "invade" them, I sure wasn't keeping them from seeing their family in the North. The driver stopped the car and yelled back at the protestors, gave them an arm gesture and then continued on to the gate. I asked him what that was about and he laughed and said that "they" the young kids who wanted to re-unite Korea, had no idea how bad it was before. They had no idea the pain, the problems and the horrors. It had all been forgotten. He told me that people of his generation would always respect us and would always defend us because we had done for them what they were not able to do by themselves. For whatever reason, that has stuck with me, since that day back before the Great War on Terror and the Attacks of 9/11.

You know what? Maybe the US is involved in too many countries' business. Maybe the US needs to pull back and tend to our own. Maybe the US should have stayed out of Vietnam, and Korea, and Iraq, and hell, even Kuwait. But they didn't - and those policies and those actions can not be changed or altered or even debated by any member of this forum that I know of, unless we have someone here incognito. But what this forum DOES have, among even it's most under-privledged and "unintelligent" people, when viewed from another place outside our country, is people who did what was asked of them, when they were asked. They did it, not for oil, not for money, not for fame and they sure didn't do it because South Vietnam, or Korea, or Somalia, or Kuwait or even Iraq was a place they were DYING to go and get shot at and have their safety and their values compromised.

That is my only point. Many of us here don't like our government, but that doesn't mean we don't stand behind it, even when they make bad decisions. To not do so is to be a Part Time or Fair Weather American - and you won't find many of those on this forum. Please keep in mind that the policies of the US of A are not those of ALL the men & women who reside in America. And your view, as welcome to it as whole heartedly are, when expressed in such a manner as to not clarify the intent of your barb, can sting many of us who would rather bleed than concede.

Thanks it. That's all I got on this issue. Thank you for your time. I am going to go back to being weapons guy now. I don't have the mind, the tongue or the patience to be a politician....

JD

Old 06-10-2008, 08:06 PM   #18

Quote:
dillinger, i thought you posted your original question quite well. however, most people seem to participate in the club house threads, not the actual gun threads. i agree it is disappointing as i too came here to learn more re firearms. i click and ignore so much at this website but i return hoping to learn something re firearms and post occasionally with the hopes of not getting flamed for having differing opinions and views. i am not suggesting that you have done so in your response. i've read many of your posts in various threads and find you to be articulate. i so agree with you re <What I am not here for is continually to see threads mucked up with a back and forth battle about foreign policy in a He Said / He Said format.> but once again that's what happened.

Zombie - No offense taken. I have said my peace in my post above. I have never had issue with your posts. I would say your old man is one hell of an American if he is an 84 year old FORMER Marine ( There are no EX Marines lad ). He was probably a hardcore snake eater before anyone coined the term. I, for one, am thankful for every Marine, Sailor, Soldier, or Airman that has ever laced up a pair of boots and went somewhere, away from home, away from family that they didn't want to be in the first place. The world would be MIGHTY different without them and their heritage of self sacrifice.

I don't think that RL's opinion is that he should be able to tell anyone what to think. I would say he is a little more proud of his country than some, but that is not a bad thing. RL doesn't make our countries' policy, but you have to remember, he swore an Oath to defend this Country Against ALL Enemies, Foreign AND Domestic. He also has a son who has now taken the same Oath. That is no small thing to alot of us.

Thank you for your response. I meant no offense in your direction either.

JD

Old 06-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #19

deleted.....dup post.

Last edited by moviezombie; 06-10-2008 at 09:50 PM.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #20

Dillinger, your articulation is so good that its too bad you don't have the desire to be a politician!

and i am properly chastised: yes, once a Marine, always a Marine......

movie zombie