Burial, cremation, or composting - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Burial, cremation, or composting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #41
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The wife and I are both in agreement on cremation.

I seem to remember hearing about a company a few years ago called Parting Shots. You could send them a small amount of your loved ones ashes and they would load them into shotgun shells (as the shot buffer). That way you could take them hunting with you one last time.

On a side note. Something that REALLY turns my screw is seeing the grounds crew sitting on their backhoe waiting for the funeral ceremony to be over.
--------------------------------------

A very close friend of mine died from bone cancer. He was the best friend I had ever had, and the most honest trustworthy person I've ever known. His name was John Largent. We both changed jobs and moved apart, but kept in touch over the years. I found out about his cancer and would make the drive to visit him during his treatments.

The last time we talked he told me "Shoot Troy, I feel strong. Man I got this stuff licked." I got a call a couple weeks later while at work. It was his wife, and she asked me if I would give the eulogy at his funeral. Have you ever agreed to do something, then hung up the phone and thought "what the hell did I just do?" That was me. . . . But I tell you, giving that eulogy was the best thing I've ever done.

Just before the service at the funeral home I told Linda, his wife, that I had a favor to ask. She knew how close John and I had been and immediately said yes. I told her how much the backhoe thing bothered me and utterly disrespectful I thought it was, and asked if I could bury John. Right then and there she took me by the hand, walked me over to the County Judge, said "This is Troy, and he is going to bury John." He said that he'd tell his guys to stay back until I left. After the graveside service was over I waited around for what seemed like forever for everyone to leave, walked to my truck, took off my suit coat and picked up the shovel I had bought just for this purpose. As I walked back to the graveside I was joined by another one of his friends. He had asked Linda why I was loitering, and she told him my plans. So he had gone and found the grounds crew, gotten another shovel, and said that I wasn't doing it without him.
THAT was a good day.

BTW: That shovel still sits in the corner having only been used once.

Last edited by Troy Michalik; 01-10-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #42

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Caskets are a rip off, so no casket for me. All in all(like ScottA) I really don't care. Cremate me, throw me in the ocean, shoot me into space, I don't care.

I will have no further use for this earthly vessel and will be in my new home that God has prepared for me.

John 14 1 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.”

Old 01-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #43

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've always been fond of burial. My father was a funeral director for many years, and burial just always made sense. However, my mother wishes to be cremated. Heck, we cremated her cat and she keeps the ashes in a little urn.

As for me, listening to all of these "shoot me out of whatever" ideas, and I've formulated an answer of my own. Load me into some 12-ga shells and take aim. Sushi and beer to follow the 'ceremony'

Old 01-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #44
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Troy- some years ago, attended funeral of a friend. First (and only) Jewish funeral I have attended. At conclusion of funeral, son asked (have been told is traditional) for his father's friends to help bury him. Took a shovel, and did.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #45
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Troy- some years ago, attended funeral of a friend. First (and only) Jewish funeral I have attended. At conclusion of funeral, son asked (have been told is traditional) for his father's friends to help bury him. Took a shovel, and did.
Thanks C3; I know very little of Jewish traditions. But my perception of the unceremonious dumping of a bucket load of dirt by a piece of heavy equipment, was NOT going to happen to my friend John.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #46

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default to troy

man ,that it probably the most respectful thing ive ever heard of. a devoted friend is ones brother.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #47
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Cremated, Viking style, with a few choice songs playing while I burn.

There's more, but I'll spare you.

The wife has said no, my best friend says yes, I guess we know who power of attorney is going to.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
The wife has said no, my best friend says yes, I guess we know who power of attorney is going to.
It is my understanding that you can file some kind of paperwork with the local courthouse to have your requests made legally binding.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #49

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Cremate me and I don't care what's done with the ashes. The ideas of loading into ammo sounds cool but I don't want my kids to have any more worry or work than necessary during that time.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-11-2011, 02:42 AM   #50
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Quote:
don't want my kids to have any more worry or work
Sorry, Bear- you just made me get the giggles for a moment-

"How many grains of Dad are you loading in the AA hulls?"

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.