Building my collection
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Building my collection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Building my collection

Hi all,
I am beginning to educate myself as to what all is out there and it is becoming very overwhelming. I hope people can give me some pointers on how to begin and what to look for. Right now my collection only consists of a .45 and I want to expand upon this. Maybe if I give my thought process in what I am looking for, it will help in what I am doing. If I am missing the point or off base in any of my thinking, please let me know so that I do not go down the wrong path. I have a budget and the last thing I want to do is buy something I do not like.

First off, I am the type of person that likes to keep things simple, basic and realistic. I also believe in having the right tool to do a job, I don't use a flat head screwdriver to take out a phillips head screw. That said, ultimately I think I want a few pistols, which I think I have that area covered and can handle what I want with respect to handguns. Eventually, I think I would like a shot gun, a tactical weapon and a mid to long range rifle. I feel as if that would give me the diversity to handle anything I could come across or need. The tactical firearms are what is throwing me for a loop. There are just so many options. In my thought process, I think I want a tactical weapon to kind of be the one weapon that could be used just about for anything, you know, the "all around" type of weapon. I naturally see a ton of info about the AR-15's but I am not sure if this would be the right choice for me. I dont have my mind set on anything at this point. I do know that I do not want all these "cool" gadgets attached to my weapon. I am of the opinion that if there is a chance of failure, I do not want it. Especially, anything electronic. I work with computers and I know there is a failure rate when electronics are involved so I shy away from that, even if the failure rate is one in a million. There are of course some exceptions to this rule. Basically said, I do not want some electronic device to "help me shoot better". Just the basics is all I want. However, I do recognize the difference between guns made 40 years ago versus today, I understand the technology advances in the machine work involved in making a reliable weapon. As an example, although I see a lot of good things said about the AK-47s, I don't think I would like something that old, knowing that advances in machining will have made todays guns better than the AKs to some extents.

What would be some things I should look at to make my decision for this? What are some weapons I should consider? I do not mind attachments and upgrades, as long as there is a realistic reason to have it and there are some upgrades that I would get. I dont want "cool" or get something just because everyone else has one. I want functionality and what works for me. Remember, for this weapon, I just want an all around weapon. One that could be used indoors, outdoors, short range, long range(loosely stated of course), hard target, soft target, etc etc. I guess you could say I want a "utility" weapon.

If there is something I am missing the point with please educate me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I eschewed the AR type rifles because when I served, they weren't well developed yet. So when I looked for a long gun that would serve as a main battle rifle, I bought a DSArms SA58 FAL carbine chambered in .308. I liked the idea of an adjustable gas system and the fact that it was called the "Right Arm of the Free World". It had hitting power, a track record, a standard caliber and easy parts availability.

That said, I longed for a Springfield M1A. Eventually I sold the FAL and bought a new Springfield Scout Squad model with a synthetic stock. The rifle was accurate, had light & comfortable recoil, was nice ergonomically and was an accurate and easy shooter. I would still have it, but economics forced me to sell it.

I currently have a 1943 Springfield Garand for my main battle rifle. It's most definitely about as old school as you can get. It's accurate and a pleasure to shoot. I have always liked the characteristics of the .30-06 round and this rifle shoots it well.
I dislike only having eight rounds. However, I find that it's the only negative when I compare it to the M1A. In fact, surplus .30-06 ammunition is cheaper than .308, so there is a bit of a financial savings.
The Garand is also considerably less expensive to purchase than the M1A. The savings will buy a lot of ammunition and other toys.

For closer in, I have a 1943 Inland M1 carbine. It is as reliable as they come.

You can buy both the M1 Garand and an M1 carbine for less than the price of a new Springfield M1A. I also really enjoy having a piece of history in my hands.

I too do not care for all the tacticool goodies that get stuck on firearms these days.

I have a Mossberg 500 shotgun with an 18.5" barrel, factory Ghostring sights that I bought and installed myself and an elastic butt shell cuff. I keep it loaded and the buttcuff gives me five more rounds right to hand if ever necessary.

For plinking, I have a Ruger 10-22 with a Nikon Pro Staff scope. It's much more scope than the rifle really needs, but I had the scope laying around and so on it went. I really like the combination and have been quite spoiled by it.

For hand guns, I have a 1927 Sistema Colt .45acp, an FM Hi Power in 9mm, a S&W model 37 .38spl. Airweight and a Ruger GP160 .357 magnum. My wife has a S&W model 60 .357 magnum loaded with .38 HP's for a S.D. handgun.

I like .44 magnum, have owned several, but currently don't have one. I have bought and sold many guns, both rifles and handguns, but the ones I just wrote about are essentially my keepers.

I don't know if this will help you, but I hope it at least gives you food for thought.

Best,
CA357

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 05-26-2009 at 07:39 PM.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

double tap.....sorry

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-27-2009, 01:48 AM   #4

Ok, Thanks. I will get this figured out.

I just got done reading an article about the LMT's Piston 16. What are some opinions about this rifle? One of the things I gleened from this article is that they made a change to the rail system, apparently ARs have a few design gotchas that are maybe a little frustrating to some and this manufacturer seems to have fixed some of those. This article is in the Guns & Ammo, Book of the AR-15.

I failed to mention earlier, I do not want to buy a "name". I refuse to pay extra money for something just because of its name. However, I do not mind paying a little more for a better product. I totally believe that you get what you pay for. As of now I have not really looked at the prices, I am looking for something I like first then I will start looking at the cost and narrow things down from there.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:03 AM   #5

Actually, I think I know what I want to do. I want to just build my own. I am good with tools and I have no problem working with parts. Find me a new bare bones AR base from a top of the line manufacturer. You know, a piece of "junk". Then as I shoot it and get the feel for it, I will begin to not like things about it and those are the things I replace with new parts. I am kinda curious to see if these things are as modular as they say they are. Being cost prohibitive is the only reason I can think of this to be a bad idea.