Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Building from Canebrakes 13 farewells (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/building-canebrakes-13-farewells-87216/)

GSpears471 03-23-2013 04:30 AM

Building from Canebrakes 13 farewells

Has anyone been on the receiving end of the flag ceremony from the military funeral? I have. Last year my 85 year old father passed away. Watching the ceremony was pretty impressive. I being the oldest son received the flag and the spent casings. One of the honor guards was someone that had worked at the same company that I had. At the meal after the ceremony I went and met the honor guard and thanked them. My father served in the Army at the tail end of WW2 . He told me that he was a guard at pow.camp in Manila. He said that had the prisoners known the only time they had live ammo issued to them was when there was rumors of suspected upcoming problems things probably would have been a lot worse.
I had mentioned that I am a reloader and that I was going to make the casings into keyholders and pass them out to family members. The family thought that was a great thing to do for a memorial to our dad.,

dango 03-23-2013 04:44 AM

Yes , my wife's father , twenty six years of service , both proud and sad..!

Tackleberry1 03-23-2013 05:07 AM

Yes... My Grandfather passed 3 years ago. He had served in the Pacific durring WWII as a Marine Grunt.

My uncle made sure I got one of the casings. I now have fun stumping range commandos who think they've seen it all.

None have been able to correctly ID the spent blank...

Guess you had to train with em to recognize the crimped end for what it is.

Tack

GSpears471 03-23-2013 05:18 AM

The crimped end made them wonder, Huh. I carefully worked on them I only lost 1 of 21 to not forming properly. Who has seen casings from blanks before?

DrumJunkie 03-23-2013 06:40 AM

I have my Fathers flag. Got all the casings too. None of them where crimped though.

sdiver35 03-23-2013 09:44 AM

My parents have my brother's flag.

Having worked funeral details when I was in, typically you aren't receiving the spent blank casings from the actual firing at the funeral. We would have spent live casings that we would polish to place in the folded flag prior to presentation to the family. Keep in mind the presentation of the flag occurs after TAPS is played and the firing team are normally a distance from the flag detail.

Being on those details was a sobering feeling that I'll never forget!

racer_x 03-23-2013 09:47 AM

Ive got 3 flags great gramps, gramps,stepdad no casings. when my stepdad died my mom an grams gave me the 3 flags

DrumJunkie 03-23-2013 09:49 AM

Never looked in the flag, never unfolded it. I put it in a flag case and that's it. The cases I have I picked up[ off the ground. I watched them fly out of the rifles (M1 Garand).

WebleyFosbery38 03-23-2013 10:34 AM

I Have My Grandfather the Coronals and my Dads Flags, even fly them on occasion. Unfortunately no casings from either.

BK3220 03-23-2013 10:45 AM

My grandfathers flag hangs on the wall in the fieldhouse of Concordia College in Moorhead Mn where he taught after he got back from the pacific in WW2.