Brothers in the wind...
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Brothers in the wind...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Brothers in the wind...

With the weather getting warmer and riding season approaching, I have this curious thought lately and would like some input from my fellow motorcycle riders and ccw holders.

I almost always wear my leather through the entire riding season. Not only for the protection of keeping skin on my body in the chance of a crash, but also to conceal my weapon. There are some days that are so beautiful, I just really want to enjoy the weather and ill leave the jacket at home... now I am limited to carrying my pistol. Every person that rides, knows that eventually your shirt will catch some wind and ride up your back, exposing some skin to the world. And right in the face of the vehicle next to you... BAM.. your concealed weapon is no longer concealed.

How do some of you deal with this situation?
How do you dress?
What is your form of concealment?
Do you even bother to carry while riding?

Please share your thoughts.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3179 Times on 1652 Posts
Likes Given: 322

It may look a little goofy, but fanny pack

Old 02-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I always wear my riding jacket, so no big deal for me.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

I've never really worried too much about it. The wind blows my shirt up all the time and exposes my full sized 1911 when im carrying it. Here in Ohio, there is no license required for open carry and I have my concealed license. Whether its exposed or not, im legal. My fellow riders notice but dont care. And as far as I can tell, other auto drivers either don't notice, or don't care.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #5

Liked 130 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Blue-jeans and I carry my little Ruger .380 LCP in a pocket holster in my front pocket...That's about all you can do...Carry a very small gun and hope you need nothing-bigger....A extra clip in my other pocket or thinking about putting a clip in my tool-bag........Got any other idea's ????......The S & W .38 snub-nose is just to heavy to carry on the bike...I live just south of St.Louis and we ride alot in Illinois and you can't carry there...So alot of my friends don't carry when we ride...and you may drink a few beers on those HOT summer days so another thing stopping us from carrying alot on the bikes.....I have a Hard-Tail Chopper and to carry anything bigger then the little .380 just...SUCKS.....Hit a pot-hole and you loose your Kidney...You don't want to loose your gun-to...Just-Kidding.............

Old 02-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR
I have a Hard-Tail Chopper and to carry anything bigger then the little .380 just...SUCKS.....Hit a pot-hole and you loose your Kidney...You don't want to loose your gun-to...Just-Kidding.............
Glad you mention this. I meant to ask about what type of bike does everyone ride also. That can have an impact on the placement and comfort and where you carry on your person. Personally, I ride a 2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s. Not quite a "crotch rocket", it is a "sport touring" bike. So comfort is pretty good for me and, IWB works well, if I have the jacket on, I use a cheap Uncle Mike's shoulder harness.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00
I've never really worried too much about it. The wind blows my shirt up all the time and exposes my full sized 1911 when im carrying it. Here in Ohio, there is no license required for open carry and I have my concealed license. Whether its exposed or not, im legal. My fellow riders notice but dont care. And as far as I can tell, other auto drivers either don't notice, or don't care.
We have open carry here in PA also, unfortunately the local LEOs are not aware of their own laws and makes it an issue for us here. If you're not familiar with the story of a man who was stopped by a LEO and treated like a criminal because of an LEO that didnt know any better and, his ignorance to learn his own laws, heres some audio....

Old 02-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja

We have open carry here in PA also, unfortunately the local LEOs are not aware of their own laws and makes it an issue for us here. If you're not familiar with the story of a man who was stopped by a LEO and treated like a criminal because of an LEO that didnt know any better and, his ignorance to learn his own laws, heres some audio.... Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-vUYeJXSrA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Understood. I guess to better help u hide a gun, we need to know which gun we are trying to hide. I wouldn't recommend an ankle holster for a 1911... there are also iwb holsters that still allow you to tuck in a shirt over the gun. That may be something worth looking into. Or a shoulder rig under a button down shirt... there are ALWAYS options

Old 02-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00

Understood. I guess to better help u hide a gun, we need to know which gun we are trying to hide. I wouldn't recommend an ankle holster for a 1911... there are also iwb holsters that still allow you to tuck in a shirt over the gun. That may be something worth looking into. Or a shoulder rig under a button down shirt... there are ALWAYS options
Well, my two main carry weapons are 1911s.
Kimber "custom shop" Combat Carry. Officers model.
S&W model 3913 9mm single stack.

Now I do have many other handguns, but the two mentioned are the only ones I feel comfortable to carry. I have a Rossi .357magnum, but I am not much of a revolver fan, even though it is reliable.. revolvers are just not comfortable in my hand.
Taurus Pt111 millennium pro 9mm. Once again.. not comfortable enough in my hand for self defense. It is a compact, but i never liked having fingers hanging off the bottom of my grip in a self defense situation.
Hi-point c9 9mm.... its a Hi-point... enough said...
S&W sw99 .40.. extremely reliable and accurate, but way to bulky for carry on a bike.
Phoenix Arms HP25. Perfect for concealment in almost any fashion, plenty of magazine capacity, fits anywhere... but this I would only trust as a backup. Simply not enough stopping power.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja

Well, my two main carry weapons are 1911s.
Kimber "custom shop" Combat Carry. Officers model.
S&W model 3913 9mm single stack.

Now I do have many other handguns, but the two mentioned are the only ones I feel comfortable to carry. I have a Rossi .357magnum, but I am not much of a revolver fan, even though it is reliable.. revolvers are just not comfortable in my hand.
Taurus Pt111 millennium pro 9mm. Once again.. not comfortable enough in my hand for self defense. It is a compact, but i never liked having fingers hanging off the bottom of my grip in a self defense situation.
Hi-point c9 9mm.... its a Hi-point... enough said...
S&W sw99 .40.. extremely reliable and accurate, but way to bulky for carry on a bike.
Phoenix Arms HP25. Perfect for concealment in almost any fashion, plenty of magazine capacity, fits anywhere... but this I would only trust as a backup. Simply not enough stopping power.
Ok. Your choices in ccw's are good ones imo. Now its going to come down to what type of bike? Cruiser? Sportbike? And what will look/feel right for you. There is always the fanny pack option but personally I would feel retarded with a fanny pack on in any situation. I would suggest you look into a iwb holster like the max tuck from white hat holsters that allows you to tuck your shirt in. If of course you don't mind riding with a tucked in shirt. Im sure you have seen the button down shirts the employees in the harley shops wear. If one of those, or a shirt like one of those would suit you, I think they would be great for hiding a shoulder rig. Or if you are the leather vest wearing type, they make them with compartments inside the vest for a concealed handgun too. Any of these options would work well with your current choices of carry pieces. Im sure I could think of more options too if I had to.