Breaking News: Shooter on Navy Yard in DC - Page 22
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Breaking News: Shooter on Navy Yard in DC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #211
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 266 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 30

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/20/navy-yard-escape/2842675/
"scurried under a desk with her supervisor in a nearby cubicle, she said. They stayed there silently as the shots continued.

From that vantage point, the building's open floor plan allowed her to view the fifth floor, where she saw someone moving.

"Get down!" she screamed, emerging from her hiding place....
...crawled to her desk to grab her identification badge and her purse. From there she saw her colleague, Vishnu Pandit.

"He was down."
"We don't want you to go," she told him.

Three security guards arrived. They carried Pandit to an office chair, rolled him to the stairs and strapped him into an evacuation chair used to help disabled people quickly escape.

But it wouldn't roll.

"We lifted, dragged the chair down the stairs."

When they got to the second floor, she said, the security guards' radios came to life: "The shooter was on the first floor," she said. "On the west side."

Exactly where they were heading.

They continued downstairs and escaped through a side door, where she said they found a security guard in an unmarked car.

A gunman was on the loose and the security guard was worried about leaving his post. Still, he took Lavern and Pandit into the car and raced off. They made it off the grounds of the Navy Yard and to a street corner a few blocks away. The security guard needed to get back to his post and asked police who were there to get an ambulance immediately. "....

Apparently, with 4 or 5 guards on duty and employees with an Occupant Emergency Plan , people called in the wrong building number to 911, administered medical aid while the threat was still active, moved an injured person, lost a guard to enemy fire and lost the guard's gun ( Beretta pistol ) to capture, and one guard abandoned post to get help .
A few questions :
Are the guards federal or contract ? Police or guards ? Why did it take ( according to reports ) maybe 21 minutes before someone called 911 ? Did the guards draw their guns once they knew a killer was on the loose ?
Did the guards have instructions on handling active shooters ?
Were the Berettas carried with a chambered round ?

Old 09-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #212
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 807 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

They were contract security guards navy doesn't use gs guards they also have navy civilian police and if the security is like at West Point they had no round chambered

Old 09-23-2013, 03:24 AM   #213

Liked 1326 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 411

I do not know if the contract security (building security) had a round chambered. If I were to guess and this is ONLY A GUESS WITH NO FACTS TO SUPPORT IT, I would guess no they do not.

However something that I have not heard reported elsewhere and F me if I'm "breaking news" but about 9 months ago(maybe more or less) there was a big change of guards at the Navy Yard. Many officers (contract) were replaced and the rumor was that they instituted new physical fitness requirements and many of the current(at that time) guards did not pass the test. I will say that in my building there was a clear difference in the physical appearance of the guards and it was for the better as far as fitness standards go.

I really question the fact that a guard called in the wrong building or anyone else called in the wrong building. I can believe that someone called 911 and said "Navy Yard" but if they used a building number I have a difficult time believing it was an incorrect number, the average person that I have spoken with who works on the base calls the building 197, maybe someone who works there would call it NavSea HQ or something like that but calling it by the wrong number would be hard to believe. Again I have no evidence in either way on this matter, this is my own opinion and people in high stress situations can react wildly but personally I could not imagine how you could call that building anything but 197 if you were using a number.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #214

Liked 266 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Yunas-
Thanks. We still need ironclad facts, though . I hope the FBI releases its final report to the public when the investigation is completed .

Active shooters are not supermen . They can only look in one direction at a time, aim at one person at a time, move at limited speed etc.

If guards respond like trained soldiers, the active shooter could have his hands full ; He could find himself caught in a crossfire from mutually-supporting covered positions, driven down a hallway by an entry team only to be ambushed by guards forming a blocking force , pinned down by fire from a guard while an entry team outflanks and kills him .
The possibilities are endless . The keys are planning, clear instructions, training, teamwork, freedom to act, clear priorities for action, unpredictability of guards' actions, cooperation with responding LEOs and gunfighting ability .

The guards should not play the roles laid out for them in violent video games. They should speak up if their orders and procedures put them at unnecessary risk .

We should all raise hell against " gun-free" zones and disarming the victims ( what CNN won't talk about ) .

Employees should be instructed in using the options of sheltering in place, evacuating, field expedient weapons and swarming the attacker .

Last edited by Rentacop; 09-26-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Sonic82 Likes This