Breaking News: Shooter on Navy Yard in DC - Page 19
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Breaking News: Shooter on Navy Yard in DC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #181
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 760 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

All of us can, after the fact figure out what SHOULD have happened to prevent this.

Monday morning quarterbacking will get us nowhere and will never prevent every mass murder that takes place.
I kinda disagree that it will get us nowhere it helps identify the faults and fix them. That's why dod imcom has red team/blue teams to probe installation security and rectify issues. That's why we do risk assessments before doing anything in the military to identify and mitigate risks maybe now more stringent methods will be used in accessing military bases. Perhaps if the chairman of the joint chiefs puts out an order stating that these are the regulations for accessing all military bases then the guards on the gate can properly check all people entering the post without worrying about pissing off some colonels wife who will run to the garrison commanders wife and complain leading to the garrison commander getting an earful and ultimately ending a guards career because he was just doing his job and he wasn't fast enough at searching a car(it has happened I have witnessed it)

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #182
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

One of our tax clients is a local cop who got diagnosed with PTSD (afcrapistan) recently. His doctors indicated that policework was one of the best fields for him to be working in as far as being a functional worker, though it made it take longer for anyone to notice he had the PTSD. Apparently, a small town cop's natural defense mechanisms/habits look a lot like PTSD. I think they have him talking to a therapist now. I know he is still on the job.
That's great he can get a police job but I know many major depts look for PTSD in veterans and use it as a disqualifier the same with many federal law enforcement positions I would love to work for a small local department in Texas but I have to go to aacog to get my tcleose certification on my own because many depts do not pay for academies anymore this is difficult but doable and i hope to start soon

Old 09-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #183
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
That's great he can get a police job but I know many major depts look for PTSD in veterans and use it as a disqualifier the same with many federal law enforcement positions I would love to work for a small local department in Texas but I have to go to aacog to get my tcleose certification on my own because many depts do not pay for academies anymore this is difficult but doable and i hope to start soon
Well, good luck with aacog man; small towns need LEO's too.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #184
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357
Here's my opinion. We, as a society, need to stop placing blame on external factors. Yes, the man was crazy (you would have to be crazy to kill innocent people).

But, in my opinion, calling him crazy is writing it off to not placing the blame where it lies: its his mental disease's fault, not his own.

This goes on forever: Its the Navy's fault. Its the base security guards fault. Its society's fault. Its his parents fault. Its liberals' fault. Its conservatives' fault. Its Obama's fault. Its a fault of his brain. Its the wars' fault.

How about we place the blame on literally the only thing that can be legitimately blamed? It was HIS fault, and nothing else's.

We're delusional as a society if we think we can PREVENT these things from happening, without giving up all our freedoms and liberties.
I agree with you that it's his fault. You're right, we need to stop blaming mental illness, guns, society, etc., but we need to realize that his mental illness may have had something to do with it. Obviously the reason it happened is because this man was evil and wanted to do an evil thing, but his mental illness may have been the root cause of his evil. Here is the problem with what I'm saying, it's that I don't know why they do it, because I'm not one of them, I don't want to kill people, so for me to say why they do it is impossible because I don't know why they do it.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 09-18-2013, 01:16 AM   #185
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
I agree with you that it's his fault. You're right, we need to stop blaming mental illness, guns, society, etc., but we need to realize that his mental illness may have had something to do with it. Obviously the reason it happened is because this man was evil and wanted to do an evil thing, but his mental illness may have been the root cause of his evil. Here is the problem with what I'm saying, it's that I don't know why they do it, because I'm not one of them, I don't want to kill people, so for me to say why they do it is impossible because I don't know why they do it.
actually it's quite simple why they do it. their brains are wired differently!

the man is either mentally defective and doesn't comprehend between right and wrong, or he's totally sane and just doesn't care about others or himself.

it's not impossible to understand and doesn't take a degree in psychology to grasp the meaning of it.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #186
I used to play keyboards, but now...

Liked 2042 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 2220

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post

None of us knows why they do it. But many of us would have the means to minimize the damage if concealed or open carry was allowed without restrictions on location.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

People Like This 
Old 09-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #187
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The security guard he killed was an 18 year veteran of the Maryland state police and also did 3 years in Iraq as a pmc training the police there. This ******* Alexis had to have complete surprise to take down this man that and the guard was armed with a handgun vs a shotgun

People Like This 
Old 09-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #188
I used to play keyboards, but now...

Liked 2042 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 2220

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
The security guard he killed was an 18 year veteran of the Maryland state police and also did 3 years in Iraq as a pmc training the police there. This ******* Alexis had to have complete surprise to take down this man that and the guard was armed with a handgun vs a shotgun
As much as I wish I could change it, the attacker will most often get the first few shots for free. Defense in the typical public situation is reactive. I just wish the government would allow us law abiding targets the means to watch each others backs.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

People Like This 
Old 09-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #189
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I mean I used to have the same job this guy did as a dod security officer. Why was he alone? We never had one man posts and we had government issue body armor and sidearms. I'm former army so I know speed, surprise and overwhelming violence of action is enough to gain a tactical edge but this being a secure building inside a secure navy base should have had more than 1 armed contract officer. That's another thing why was it a contractor the bill that allowed military bases to use contract security expired about 4 years ago all military bases are required to have government employees as security and police. Contract security is not required to issue body armor to employees but government regs require body armor for our security personnel

Old 09-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #190
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
As much as I wish I could change it, the attacker will most often get the first few shots for free. Defense in the typical public situation is reactive. I just wish the government would allow us law abiding targets the means to watch each others backs.
That's just a sad fact of life. As much as we wish we could, we will never be able to save every innocent life. 3 deaths is better than 23, but is still very bad.