Bragging about my wife and CCW
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Bragging about my wife and CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Default Bragging about my wife and CCW

I'm normally very discreet about the fact that my wife and I both have CCW permits, and that we both carry. Last night however, we were buying a couple Tempurpedic pillows at a furniture store, and the guy kept hassling us about giving a phone number and email address. I told him I would walk out of the store before I freely gave that information. After a somewhat heated discussion, he got the manager, who was more than happy to NOT require us to give out that information. (we spent $300 on two pillows)

When the transaction was completed, the salesman (jokingly) said all he needed was a blood sample, and we could leave with the pillows. My reply (jokingly) was that he should be careful because my wife and I both had concealed carry permits. I did not say we were packing, just that we had permits. I live in Missouri. I started to wonder if stating that you had a CCW would be similar to brandishing a weapon. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not being a lawyer, but I did sleep in a Holiday inn last week, although your story doesn’t convey the amount of anger surrounding the transaction, I can say that you saying that you are armed can be (to a motivated Prosecuting attorney) considered a threat. The only problem I have with your story is $300 for PILLOWS?
Have a Merry Christmas..

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 12-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #3

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrower View Post
I'm normally very discreet about the fact that my wife and I both have CCW permits, and that we both carry. Last night however, we were buying a couple Tempurpedic pillows at a furniture store, and the guy kept hassling us about giving a phone number and email address. I told him I would walk out of the store before I freely gave that information. After a somewhat heated discussion, he got the manager, who was more than happy to NOT require us to give out that information. (we spent $300 on two pillows)

When the transaction was completed, the salesman (jokingly) said all he needed was a blood sample, and we could leave with the pillows. My reply (jokingly) was that he should be careful because my wife and I both had concealed carry permits. I did not say we were packing, just that we had permits. I live in Missouri. I started to wonder if stating that you had a CCW would be similar to brandishing a weapon. Any thoughts?

My 2 cents is this... I had a female employee at a store tell store security that I was shoplifting an item. (She must've been retarded, seriously, as I had JUST purchased said item FROM HER, and removed it from it's packaging). As I was walking out of the store, a major chain btw, store security tackled me from behind, handcuffed me, and locked me in a back room. They let me go after some time, I kept asking them to look at my receipt. Long story short, YES I sued them. I used a civil rights attorney, because they violated my 4th amendment. And yes, I pressed charges against the store security. YES, 4 years later I am still mad.
My point being, had the guy been a moron like those I was forced to deal with, you could've found yourself being "Detained", because he decided to tell mall security you had a gun.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2876 Times on 1432 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin- YES, 4 years later I am still mad.
Can't say I blame you.

OP:
In this day in age, what you said "could" be taken as a veiled threat & cause you any number of different problems. If someone I didn't know, said that to me, I would wonder about their judgement at the very least.

No offense intended.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 12-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8963 Times on 3880 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Just my personal opinion- other than close personal friends, the facts that (1) I have a CCW, and (2) I am carrying are only shared with others after the gun clears the holster.

In your case, I would have been SORELY tempted to ask to see the manager again, advise him that his ill mannered bufoon of a salesman had just lost a sale, and that I planned to email the manufacturer, and wished him a good night.

But I AM a real vindictive SOB when you get me irriated.

PS- then go home, order the pillows on line, probably paying a lot less.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigjumpr
Not being a lawyer, but I did sleep in a Holiday inn last week, although your story doesn’t convey the amount of anger surrounding the transaction, I can say that you saying that you are armed can be (to a motivated Prosecuting attorney) considered a threat. The only problem I have with your story is $300 for PILLOWS?
Have a Merry Christmas..
If you ever laid down on a Tempupedic pillow, you'd understand!

Old 12-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin

My 2 cents is this... I had a female employee at a store tell store security that I was shoplifting an item. (She must've been retarded, seriously, as I had JUST purchased said item FROM HER, and removed it from it's packaging). As I was walking out of the store, a major chain btw, store security tackled me from behind, handcuffed me, and locked me in a back room. They let me go after some time, I kept asking them to look at my receipt. Long story short, YES I sued them. I used a civil rights attorney, because they violated my 4th amendment. And yes, I pressed charges against the store security. YES, 4 years later I am still mad.
My point being, had the guy been a moron like those I was forced to deal with, you could've found yourself being "Detained", because he decided to tell mall security you had a gun.
I didn't say I had a gun. I said my wife and I had concealed carry licenses. That's the question I'm asking. Is saying you have a CCW license the same as saying you have a concealed gun?

Old 12-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
Can't say I blame you.

OP:
In this day in age, what you said "could" be taken as a veiled threat & cause you any number of different problems. If someone I didn't know, said that to me, I would wonder about their judgement at the very least.

No offense intended.
Thanks. I figured at the very least I should have kept my mouth shut about the licenses. I'll try to behave better in the future. :-)

Old 12-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #9

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Not necessarily, but a DA might see it that way.

Personal opinion, I agree with c3. I don't advertise to anyone that I could possibly be carrying, not by word of mouth. Seeing my gun print is not always something I can help though.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my question is this, why have a CCW if you don't carry? so if you stated to the store employee that you had a permit to carry, wouldn't it be safe to assume from his standpoint that you were armed?

as another stated, i would have called back the manager and explained to him that their employee was making remarks you found offensive and you would take your business elsewhere. quite possibly that employee could be looking for a new job, and maybe next time will learn to keep his mouth shut.