Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > which bow should i get.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

Default which bow should i get.

I can't decide between two bows- Hoyt Katera and the PSE Vendetta. I bow hunt and shoot in competitions. I like the looks of the Katera but hate how the Vendetta looks. The Vendetta will last me a longer time than the Katera because the draw weight can be adjusted all the way up to 60#. I'm only in the 8th grade now, so it will be a couple years until I can pull a 60 pound bow. I only have access to the Vendetta online, but I have checked out the Hoyt in my local proshop. The hoyt seems like a better choice to me cause it's what the pros use. opinions?

image-1069717441.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 842 Times on 405 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Sorry partner, cant help ya. I am an old recurve shooter. I do have a Horton Yukon crossbow with scope. But all my deer have been taken with a Browning Nomad recurve that I have had for many years. You can see it on my den wall in photo.
img_0045_resized.jpg

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired)
also US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team
Alway keep your six covered

Old 03-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Seems like someone found some gold in their wallet!! Haha

Gunna recommend the website huntersfriend.com... They have great bow combos.. Give you everything you need to get started and the bare bow prices are really good too..

Old 03-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Just checked that website and they don't have either on u are lookin into.. Personal I shoot a diamond outlaw with maxis carbon express arrows... 28.5" draw and 60lb limbs.. I am 5'11" 230 lbs and its not how to put my bow back but it can get tiring after a long day shooting.. My friend has a pse stinger and I actually hate it.. It's a single cam but since its not very aggressive ( like the one in your picture) it's not as fast as mine.. Also when I draw mine back I can move a bit before the cam wants to put te string away from me... The slightest move with my friends pse and the string wants to shoot foward.. He's only 5 lbs lighter on the weight then I am but it feels a lot more than that to me... Also what are you gunna be doing with this? Hunt I would assume right? Where do you live and what game are you going for.. On longisland in ny u shouldn't need anything over 50 lbs to kill a deer but I take mine upstate where I could run into the occasional bear and want to be prepared..

Again tho how much you looking to spend on a bow? And remember if you get one from a shot most dot come with all the accessories to start up... Those can add up real quick..

Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Yeah,buy a used woman's 3D tournament bow.Spray bomb it.Check ebay or find out who's shooting in the pro class in your area.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 444 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Have you considered traditional equipment? I grew up shooting recurves and longbows, went into the service and when I got out, compounds were of course the rage. I used one for several years but it seemed that bowhunting was not as fun. I went back to traditional and the old enjoyment is back. True that they require more practice and lonbows are arrow picky as Hell but it is just more fun to me. A graceful recurve or longbow has such beautiful lines and seems to take you back to when man first started using bows since their is not that much difference between an ancient bow and a modern traditional bow except fot the materials. It is ,, to me,, just more fun, although modern compounds are very good hunting machines.
Good hunting,
Jeff

Old 03-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5196 Times on 2963 Posts
Likes Given: 4421

Try a crossbow.

Golda Meier.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #8

Liked 868 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 608

Try a Mathews. Tried them all and they are TO me the best. I won't own anything else. If I had to settle for 2nd best I would for sure choose Hoyt.

USMC 74-78

Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Get a hoyt carbon express

Old 03-08-2013, 02:39 AM   #10

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1
Just checked that website and they don't have either on u are lookin into.. Personal I shoot a diamond outlaw with maxis carbon express arrows... 28.5" draw and 60lb limbs.. I am 5'11" 230 lbs and its not how to put my bow back but it can get tiring after a long day shooting.. My friend has a pse stinger and I actually hate it.. It's a single cam but since its not very aggressive ( like the one in your picture) it's not as fast as mine.. Also when I draw mine back I can move a bit before the cam wants to put te string away from me... The slightest move with my friends pse and the string wants to shoot foward.. He's only 5 lbs lighter on the weight then I am but it feels a lot more than that to me... Also what are you gunna be doing with this? Hunt I would assume right? Where do you live and what game are you going for.. On longisland in ny u shouldn't need anything over 50 lbs to kill a deer but I take mine upstate where I could run into the occasional bear and want to be prepared..

Again tho how much you looking to spend on a bow? And remember if you get one from a shot most dot come with all the accessories to start up... Those can add up real quick..
I hunt and shoot competitively in upstate NY. I'm hunting deer.I'm probably looking to spend about $400 on a used bow. Another option is the PSE Supra.

Newest Threads