Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   which bow should i get. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/bow-should-i-get-85932/)

bowhunter17 03-06-2013 11:21 PM

which bow should i get.

1 Attachment(s)
I can't decide between two bows- Hoyt Katera and the PSE Vendetta. I bow hunt and shoot in competitions. I like the looks of the Katera but hate how the Vendetta looks. The Vendetta will last me a longer time than the Katera because the draw weight can be adjusted all the way up to 60#. I'm only in the 8th grade now, so it will be a couple years until I can pull a 60 pound bow. I only have access to the Vendetta online, but I have checked out the Hoyt in my local proshop. The hoyt seems like a better choice to me cause it's what the pros use. opinions?

Dearhunter 03-06-2013 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry partner, cant help ya. I am an old recurve shooter. I do have a Horton Yukon crossbow with scope. But all my deer have been taken with a Browning Nomad recurve that I have had for many years. You can see it on my den wall in photo.
Attachment 89213

hockeyjr1 03-07-2013 12:15 AM

Seems like someone found some gold in their wallet!! Haha

Gunna recommend the website huntersfriend.com... They have great bow combos.. Give you everything you need to get started and the bare bow prices are really good too..

hockeyjr1 03-07-2013 12:28 AM

Just checked that website and they don't have either on u are lookin into.. Personal I shoot a diamond outlaw with maxis carbon express arrows... 28.5" draw and 60lb limbs.. I am 5'11" 230 lbs and its not how to put my bow back but it can get tiring after a long day shooting.. My friend has a pse stinger and I actually hate it.. It's a single cam but since its not very aggressive ( like the one in your picture) it's not as fast as mine.. Also when I draw mine back I can move a bit before the cam wants to put te string away from me... The slightest move with my friends pse and the string wants to shoot foward.. He's only 5 lbs lighter on the weight then I am but it feels a lot more than that to me... Also what are you gunna be doing with this? Hunt I would assume right? Where do you live and what game are you going for.. On longisland in ny u shouldn't need anything over 50 lbs to kill a deer but I take mine upstate where I could run into the occasional bear and want to be prepared..

Again tho how much you looking to spend on a bow? And remember if you get one from a shot most dot come with all the accessories to start up... Those can add up real quick..

Intheshop 03-07-2013 10:48 AM

Yeah,buy a used woman's 3D tournament bow.Spray bomb it.Check ebay or find out who's shooting in the pro class in your area.

yazul42 03-07-2013 12:27 PM

Have you considered traditional equipment? I grew up shooting recurves and longbows, went into the service and when I got out, compounds were of course the rage. I used one for several years but it seemed that bowhunting was not as fun. I went back to traditional and the old enjoyment is back. True that they require more practice and lonbows are arrow picky as Hell but it is just more fun to me. A graceful recurve or longbow has such beautiful lines and seems to take you back to when man first started using bows since their is not that much difference between an ancient bow and a modern traditional bow except fot the materials. It is ,, to me,, just more fun, although modern compounds are very good hunting machines.
Good hunting,
Jeff

locutus 03-07-2013 10:09 PM

Try a crossbow.:)

limbkiller 03-08-2013 01:54 AM

Try a Mathews. Tried them all and they are TO me the best. I won't own anything else. If I had to settle for 2nd best I would for sure choose Hoyt.

springfield45wv 03-08-2013 02:02 AM

Get a hoyt carbon express

bowhunter17 03-08-2013 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyjr1
Just checked that website and they don't have either on u are lookin into.. Personal I shoot a diamond outlaw with maxis carbon express arrows... 28.5" draw and 60lb limbs.. I am 5'11" 230 lbs and its not how to put my bow back but it can get tiring after a long day shooting.. My friend has a pse stinger and I actually hate it.. It's a single cam but since its not very aggressive ( like the one in your picture) it's not as fast as mine.. Also when I draw mine back I can move a bit before the cam wants to put te string away from me... The slightest move with my friends pse and the string wants to shoot foward.. He's only 5 lbs lighter on the weight then I am but it feels a lot more than that to me... Also what are you gunna be doing with this? Hunt I would assume right? Where do you live and what game are you going for.. On longisland in ny u shouldn't need anything over 50 lbs to kill a deer but I take mine upstate where I could run into the occasional bear and want to be prepared..

Again tho how much you looking to spend on a bow? And remember if you get one from a shot most dot come with all the accessories to start up... Those can add up real quick..

I hunt and shoot competitively in upstate NY. I'm hunting deer.I'm probably looking to spend about $400 on a used bow. Another option is the PSE Supra.