Boutique Shop or Bubba's Gun Shop? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Boutique Shop or Bubba's Gun Shop?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I was looking for something when I came across this. I appropriated it from another firearms forum.

I was thinking about the different types of gunshops that I partronize and why. I came to the conclusion that there are basically two types. One is the BOUTIQUE and the other is the MOM & POP/BUBBA/Redneck(I mean that in a good way as I consider myself as a Ridge Runner). etc.

I came to the conclusion that in the last few years I made a full transition to the latter one. The Boutique establishments really got on my nerves. Here are the differences.

Boutique Shop:

1. Clean and immaculate. Everything has a barcode and cases are cleaned with windex. Prices are on computerized tags and attached to the triggerguard.

2. If you try to negotiate a price, they look at you like you're Bill Clinton arriving at a sorority convention.

3. If you try to special order something they refer you to a guy who's only there 1 hour on Monday between 10am and 11am.

4. If you ask for a cup of coffee, they refer you to a vending machine attached to a state of the art range facility.

5. If you ask to see the latest Ruger Vaquero single action revolver in 45LC, they refer you to a Glock in .45GAP due to incompetent staff. Granted, I like both guns, but please hire someone who actually graduated high school and knows the difference between a polymer frame and a steel one.

6. If you want to use the restroom, they give you a multilevel retinal key for password access and then look at you funny if you come out later than 1 minute.

7. Ammunition is grossly overpriced unless is the tradition cartridge. A box of 10mm is $30. If you ask for a box of .22 Hornet, they look at you like you collect insects.

whereas!!!!!!!

The Bubba Shop:

1. When you walk in, its like Cheers, everyone knows your name.

2. Price tags are scribbled in pencil and NON NEGOTIABLE!!!

3. There is a balance of long guns and handguns, in both DAO, SA, and everything in between.

4. The owner knows you by name and offers layaway.

5. The owner gives you a FREE cup of coffee when you walk in.

6. There is taxadermy on the wall instead of simulated turkey bullseye that you find on the boutique shops.

7. The owners and staff are wearing NRA and John Birch Society T shirts and not IPSC and bullseye match tshirts. ( I happen to love both, but you get the drift).

8. There is a range out back, but it consists of tin cans and heavy steel barrels for test firing.

9. The owner open carries in a belt holster instead of inside the pocket.

10. going back to #1, everybody knows your name.

So the choice for me is obvious.
There I fixed it

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #12

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I have two of each with in 6 miles of my home. I like one of each a lot, the Bubba shop has a milling machine right up front, ammo stored on a home made wood shelf and is self serve, everyone has a gun on their hip, a spit cup is on the counter (which is plywood), they have chairs that are old and squeaky, and know their S*#t about guns.

Now the Boutique shop is clean and has the high end guns proudly on display, the guns I go to look at are tucked under the counter out of sight, they are somewhat flexible in pricing, one or two will open carry, three different doors to enter or exit with magnetic locks, tons of video cameras, over priced ammo in a glass display case behind the counter, and they also know the guns that they sell.

I work both of them against each other over prices, neither has a range to shoot at, and when I walk in they both greet me by name. Now the chain stores are just to fondle new arrivals or cash in on a really good deal.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
There I fixed it
Where's the fun in buying a gun if you can't haggle?

Old 10-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Where's the fun in buying a gun if you can't haggle?
Depends on which side of the counter you're on

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Old 10-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5912 Times on 3085 Posts
Likes Given: 415

I like the big box stores like gander and cabelas because they have a huge selection i can look at and handle. Then when i find one i want i go order it at my lgs which is run out of a hardware store.

The dealer i use the most doesnt have a glhuge selection but they can get about 90% of the ones i want with the same price as buying online for most things. Sometimes they are a little higher but not by much. That difference is usually recouped in store credit on the purchase as they got a cashback rewards program.

I paid like 100$ for my sw mp15-22 using the cash back thing. I can use that even on special orders.

They call me if someone brings in something for sell or trade they think i might be interested. On occassion i get calls about ar15 questions heh.

Picking up a pair of new vaquero 45acp/45colt thursday evening they got for me nearly 200$ cheaper than a similar gun at gander without the extra cylinder and they have consecutive serial numbers. Im pretty stoked about that.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #16

Jon please clone yourself and send me the clones (I could use a few patrons such as yourself)..lol

Member:

Old 10-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1470

North of Richmond VA is a LGS that has been there since the 1950s. They have grown, expanded, and are quite large.

2 years ago, Gander Mountain opened a store 1/4 mile away. BIG store. Came over and outright told the LGS they might as well have a going out of business sale- Gander was going to put them out of business.

Well, that LGS closed its door last week. They had to. You see, they were moving. They picked up the lease on the nice, new store 1/4 mile away when Gander Mountain closed up.

They are re-opening this week in their new location.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 10-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
North of Richmond VA is a LGS that has been there since the 1950s. They have grown, expanded, and are quite large.

2 years ago, Gander Mountain opened a store 1/4 mile away. BIG store. Came over and outright told the LGS they might as well have a going out of business sale- Gander was going to put them out of business.

Well, that LGS closed its door last week. They had to. You see, they were moving. They picked up the lease on the nice, new store 1/4 mile away when Gander Mountain closed up.

They are re-opening this week in their new location.
LMAO!!!! You gotta love irony.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:30 AM   #19

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan

I could only wish. That is my Bubba Shop.
He has found heaven!!

-Matt

Old 10-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #20

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

We have some a little different.

1. Bubba See OP.

2. Tactical Wal-mart.
a. If it has tactical in the name they got it in stock.
b. If it is black they got it in stock.
c. Everything is $50 over MSRP.
d. The sales staff are all on the local SWAT team (Even the guy who is 5' nothing and weighs in at 375#).
e. If you ask about a 1911 they snicker and point to a glock.
f. If you ask about a revolver they snicker and point to a glock.
g. If you ask about a rifle they point to a tricked out AR with 5 lights 3 lasers 2 scopes and a 90-1000x900mm laser range finding super epic sniper scope with 3 forward hand grips at different angles.
h. If you ask about a bolt action they snicker and say "Your no sniper what do you need a sniper rifle for?"
i. If you ask about a holster they point you to the 1000 different drop leg holsters.