Boutique Shop or Bubba's Gun Shop?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Boutique Shop or Bubba's Gun Shop?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Boutique Shop or Bubba's Gun Shop?

I was looking for something when I came across this. I appropriated it from another firearms forum.

I was thinking about the different types of gunshops that I partronize and why. I came to the conclusion that there are basically two types. One is the BOUTIQUE and the other is the MOM & POP/BUBBA/Redneck(I mean that in a good way as I consider myself as a Ridge Runner). etc.

I came to the conclusion that in the last few years I made a full transition to the latter one. The Boutique establishments really got on my nerves. Here are the differences.

Boutique Shop:

1. Clean and immaculate. Everything has a barcode and cases are cleaned with windex. Prices are on computerized tags and attached to the triggerguard.

2. If you try to negotiate a price, they look at you like you're Bill Clinton arriving at a sorority convention.

3. If you try to special order something they refer you to a guy who's only there 1 hour on Monday between 10am and 11am.

4. If you ask for a cup of coffee, they refer you to a vending machine attached to a state of the art range facility.

5. If you ask to see the latest Ruger Vaquero single action revolver in 45LC, they refer you to a Glock in .45GAP due to incompetent staff. Granted, I like both guns, but please hire someone who actually graduated high school and knows the difference between a polymer frame and a steel one.

6. If you want to use the restroom, they give you a multilevel retinal key for password access and then look at you funny if you come out later than 1 minute.

7. Ammunition is grossly overpriced unless is the tradition cartridge. A box of 10mm is $30. If you ask for a box of .22 Hornet, they look at you like you collect insects.

whereas!!!!!!!

The Bubba Shop:

1. When you walk in, its like Cheers, everyone knows your name.

2. Price tags are scribbled in pencil and NEGOTIABLE!!!

3. There is a balance of long guns and handguns, in both DAO, SA, and everything in between.

4. The owner knows you by name and offers layaway.

5. The owner gives you a FREE cup of coffee when you walk in.

6. There is taxadermy on the wall instead of simulated turkey bullseye that you find on the boutique shops.

7. The owners and staff are wearing NRA and John Birch Society T shirts and not IPSC and bullseye match tshirts. ( I happen to love both, but you get the drift).

8. There is a range out back, but it consists of tin cans and heavy steel barrels for test firing.

9. The owner open carries in a belt holster instead of inside the pocket.

10. going back to #1, everybody knows your name.

So the choice for me is obvious.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 04-19-2011 at 05:38 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Have frequented both...some additions:

Boutique Shop

Constantly trying to upsell every request

Pushing $300 range membership every time you stop in

Nothing under $1000 ever in stock

Bubba

Has a barrel full of old rifles and shottys under $100

Bins of "old" parts to rummage through to find what you need

Always willing to shoot the breeze without making a sale

Walls full of "new" products with 10 years of dust on them

Always has a 15 years old dog named "Bear" or something lying around

Only thing they "push" is NRA membership

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

People Like This 
Old 04-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yeah, that sounds about right.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Just like this.

img00199-20110201-1309.jpg  

Old 04-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Is that your basement Shi?

Old 04-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Is that your basement Shi?
I could only wish. That is my Bubba Shop.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I think I could live there.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #8

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I vote for Bubba.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:17 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I now have a bubba shop and an almost boutique shop on the same road in town.

My bubba shop is a garage with a gun shop attached. You have to walk through a small junk yard of potential classic restoration cars from the 60's and 70's, yell in the garage that you want to speak to Sherman, the dude will come out from under a car to shoot the **** about guns for a couple hours. The handgun case is covered in old magazines and bills of sale so you have ask exactly whats in the case. The long guns are on a rack with a cable through the trigger guards that looks like they are locked up tight, but its just a free cable not attached to anything. The ammo is in a back closet filled with old boxes of crap ammo that no one will ever buy. The whole place screams "Bubba Shop". Unfortunately, the guy will try to screw you out of every penny. The last time I went there looking for a revolver, he had exactly what I was looking for. A 442 with a crimson trace - he wanted $950. I haven't been back.

The new place that would be considered a "Boutique Shop" compared to their competitor, is my new favorite shop. As soon as you walk in the door, you're greeted by a Dalmation who is a fantastic guard dog - you have to let him sniff you before you walk in or he wont stop barking. The owners are the nicest people I've ever dealt with. They specialize in bows and will do any work on them you want. Their firearm selection is small but growing fast. Everything is neat and tidy and did I mention the owners are friendly? I haven't tried negotiating prices yet - a few more buys and I will start asking to knock of a couple bucks if I buy ammo too, etc, etc.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #10

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't think I've been to either of those type of gun shops. We just have long established gunshops, newer shops, and several chain sporting goods stores...that's about it. I never find these stereotype establishments that seemingly exist only on the Internet.