Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Bought Boat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1611 Times on 865 Posts
Likes Given: 2633

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
Thinking of getting a fishing boat, maybe aluminum lightweight to pull.
Mine is lightweight but when it comes to boats, everything seems to be a tradeoff. Even though mine has a nice vee-hull it still seems to pound whereas a heavier fiberglass boat will always ride better in the rough stuff.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 927 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm

Is there a difference between a wave runner and a jet ski? Are they just brands for the same device or are they actually different "toys?"
Waverunner is the brand of jet ski made by Yamaha. So it is a jet ski. Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser HO. It has a 160 hp high output fuel injected engine. I've had it up to 73 mph on smooth water.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 06-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14

Boat has a 6.2 liter injected Chevy Vortex MerCruiser power package and outdrive with those two counter rotating props. I believe it's the MerCruiser Bravo 3 drive.
I've wondered exactly how those counter rotating props actually work. Do they just give the boat more bite in the water? Also what kind of exhaust does your boat have? Through hull? Here's a clip of mine running with a water hat on on Friday.

http://youtu.be/Y_9E0T3k0vQ
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Old 07-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 832 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Did you lose your ever loving mind?

After I got rid of my third AND LAST boat, I sat down and considered how many times I used the boat and how much time it cost me. Keep in mind I water skied a LOT, and lived right on the lake. It was a SCARY number!

Enjoy what is obviously a beautiful boat

Old 07-01-2013, 02:50 AM   #25

Liked 18 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm
Very nice. Congratulations. I'd like to buy a jet ski or two some day. But I think a full on boat is a bit out of my price range anytime soon. Anyway, she's a beaut. Congrats.
Boats are not very expensive if you buy them in the off season. I actually did a construction job for trade to get my boat. It cost me 1500 and then I put another maybe 500 into it after. I re-wrapped the interior cuddy cabin and put in a tv. The boat is a 1989 21' sea sprite cuddy cabin with a 5.0 v-8 engine. I haven't had to many problems with it. Here's a picture of it.

image-20587397.jpg

Old 07-01-2013, 03:11 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteman

Boats are not very expensive if you buy them in the off season. I actually did a construction job for trade to get my boat. It cost me 1500 and then I put another maybe 500 into it after. I re-wrapped the interior cuddy cabin and put in a tv. The boat is a 1989 21' sea sprite cuddy cabin with a 5.0 v-8 engine. I haven't had to many problems with it. Here's a picture of it.
Very nice! I like it!

Old 07-01-2013, 03:14 AM   #27
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 856 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Its not much, but we like to take it crabbing!

solandge-superyacht-launched-photo-klaus-jordan-665x334.jpg

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

People Like This 
Old 07-01-2013, 03:19 AM   #28

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGunner

Waverunner is the brand of jet ski made by Yamaha. So it is a jet ski. Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser HO. It has a 160 hp high output fuel injected engine. I've had it up to 73 mph on smooth water.
Jet Ski is actually the trade name for the Kawasaki product, but the term jet ski gets used generically quite often. No harm no foul. I think "personal watercraft" is the true generic term, but it doesn't really matter.

My Sea Doo (by Bomdardier) tops out at 60 mph. Would be nice to hit 70+. I'm jealous!

Old 07-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM1114

Jet Ski is actually the trade name for the Kawasaki product, but the term jet ski gets used generically quite often. No harm no foul. I think "personal watercraft" is the true generic term, but it doesn't really matter.

My Sea Doo (by Bomdardier) tops out at 60 mph. Would be nice to hit 70+. I'm jealous!
73 on it is pretty dang fast. You definitely don't wanna screw up at that speed because hitting water that fast is like hitting concrete.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #30

Liked 300 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGunner View Post
I've wondered exactly how those counter rotating props actually work. Do they just give the boat more bite in the water? Also what kind of exhaust does your boat have? Through hull? Here's a clip of mine running with a water hat on on Friday.

http://youtu.be/Y_9E0T3k0vQ
This boat's exhaust is through the transom (hull) and it's the factory MerCruiser exhaust. The counter rotating MerCruiser Bravo 3 props do give the boat a bit more bite, out of the hole, which is good for all altitudes regardless of the prop. The props on this boat are for altitude (6300') which means they (slip) a bit more and keeps the torque up to help the boat plane out quicker. This boat planes out in 6 seconds at 3200 RPM which is good for altitude. Also with the counter rotating props, you don't need that small skag thing above the prop that's threaded into the anode and offset slightly to counter the torque steer created by the rotation with a single prop. Most single prop outdrives I've seen have this little skag just for that reason.

One other thing, the counter rotation props, I've read, cut a couple of MPH off the top end but what they make up in bite on the bottom end is supposed to be worth it and helps some with fuel economy as it helps the boat plane out quicker.

Pretty much all I know so far. I should be able to pick up the boat early next week when the total mechanical inspection I ordered has been done. It already has passed with flying colors from the 1-1/2 hour sea trial the broker and I took it on and the seller is going to replace a couple of very minor things that I didn't pass on the trial.

Last edited by mrm14; 07-01-2013 at 10:48 PM.