This bothers me....

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > This bothers me....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 01:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default This bothers me....

From time to time I will come across a picture of a small child posing with and holding a semi auto rifle (uzi,AK) or handgun. Not to mention sometimes ammo scattered about.... These kids are not even old enough to fire a gun. Whats your take on this? For me its just wrong

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2009, 02:05 AM   #2

Liked 322 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 30

How old do the kids in these pictures appear to be?

My Dad started my brothers and me shooting a lever action .22 rifle and a .16 ga. shotgun not too long after when we were about 6 y.o.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:10 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My daddy started me shooting a single shot stevens 22 rifle when I was 6 . Of course this was in 1952 so it was normal.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:17 AM   #4

Liked 322 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 30

It was 1960 for me and it was still normal at that time as well.

Dad was real keen on teaching safety with guns and more than just the times we were pulling the triggers.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:18 AM   #5

I would say around 4 or 5 years of age. Teaching your child to shoot a .22 at an early age is great. I have no problem with that, infact I will do this with my daughter when (I think) she's old enough. But, posing a child with an AK strapped around his or her shoulders and ammo laying around just gives off a bad message. It just doesn't look right. Just one more thing the anti-gunners can use against us.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:56 AM   #6

If your talking about the kids in the war torn places like Somalia then yes that is disturbing. Can you imagine being a soldier having to fire fight against kids? But as far as my kid, he wont be holding an AK any time soon. A 22 and a bow work for now.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:04 AM   #7

I do mean american children. And yes, it is very sad to see children in other countries holding machine guns instead of toys.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:22 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9385 Times on 4047 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

Well, if you see my youngest grand-daughter holding a rifle, don't tell her you think it is cute OR improper- she will likely ask if you want to put a 5 spot on the best 5 round group. (I think the kid is saving up for an X-box or something) She turned 13 last Saturday- has been shooting with me for 3 yrs now- is an associate member of my range, and an NRA member. (In 5 more years, she will be a voter)

When I was a little kid, you got toy guns. The double holster western rig with TWO silver six shooters. My pride and joy at age 5 was a lever action (toy) that looked just like my Dad's Winchester- including chambering and ejecting rounds! By the time I was 8 I was hunting with my Dad- at 11, hunting on my own- but strict rules (stay on your own property)

I hear what you are saying, but the anti's use anything and everything- including my irresponsible acts of giving CHILDREN access to DEADLY weapons. (Guilty as charged- all 4 of our kids, and 7 of our grandkids have hung out with the old man, and learned about the safe and effective use of firearms)

I guess I really have been a bad influence on them. 3 of them use guns to make their living (SHUDDER). One son is now a retired US Marine, one a law enforcement officer, and one grandson is serving with the US Army.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #9

I have no problem with children firing a high cap rifle or uzi or anything as long as it's under direct supervision by an adult. Shoot 10 year olds or under shoot m1 garands all the time up the street.

Newest Threads