BOTB: The Pocketknife - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

BOTB: The Pocketknife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 03:47 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm a knife knut, I admit it. I carry all sorts of sharp toys everyday and have a whole 3 x 4 mts. room dedicated to my collection.

I think there's no such thing as the "ideal" knife, there might be a knife that's better suited for a particular task, and there are even some that are quite decent for a few different things. Price is also a factor. Is a $1000 custom ten times better than a $100 production knife?

Swiss army knives are a good basic pocket knife, a sort of jack of all trades. They are affordable, the extra tools always come in handy and the spear point blades are quite useful. They come in a variety of sizes, with and without locks. They definitely aren't self defense knives and the blade steel is far from being premium, but it's easy to sharpen. No matter what else I'm carrying, I've got a SAK on me (usually a Vic. Huntsman, which I feel is a good compromise between tools and size).

Traditional carbon steel slipjoints are my favourite for almost all chores. There are lots of different patterns to choose from, from tiny peanuts to hefty folding hunters. I love the way the blades darken with use, and the feel of wood or bone handles. The ones with several blades are quite handy, like the stockman pattern (I use the sheepfoot blade for most things, the clip for food and keep the spey a bit dull to scrape my pipe bowl). Some people are put off by the lack of a locking mechanism, but I've never needed one in my working knives.

I do enjoy modern one hand opening folders with locking blades. They might not be as aesthetically appealing (to me) as a pocket worn slippie, but they are very convenient. Brands like Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw, etc. offer really good knives with excellent blade material and sturdy locks. I don't care for serrated edges or overly thick blades which so many "tactical" folding knives seem to sport. For around $100 there are lots of good options.

There are just too many different types of knives and they are all good for something. I like to switch my daily carry according to my mood, sometimes I feel like carrying an old beat up Opinel (wonderful slicer), or something small and light like a Fallkniven U1. Fixed blade pocket knives shouln't be overlooked either, lots of good ones out there.

Anyway, the idea behind all this senseless rambling is that I can't choose a single favourite knife.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:05 AM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Timeless, simple, classy, legal everywhere except the U.K., in a variety of handle materials, and loaded with Old World charm, the Opinel.
opinelknife.jpg  

Old 07-06-2009, 06:56 AM   #13

Default pocetknife

i have both a leatherman and a sog multitool that are nice. both were military issue to me. another favorite is my mil issue MC-1 camillis. this was only issued to people with a mil parachute. camillus went out of business in 2007. i do not know why they issued so many knives to me. i also like a BIG swiss army knife (not mil issue) for survival. one with features like a magnifying glass (plastic), wood saw, pliers, etc. items only found in the big ones. for an everyday light pocket knife i like my imperial (ireland) ss and composite. jeff.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The pocket knife of cowboys and grandfathers.

A Treebrand Barlow.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Timeless, simple, classy, legal everywhere except the U.K.
In the UK you have to spread your butter with a fork or a spoon, anything else is against the law - the ultimate "nanny state" - that's why I left!

I second the Opinel, a classic.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #16

Liked 272 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 30

The Victorinox Swiss Army model " Explorer " was my constant companion for over 30 years. I used it as a pry bar, scraper, paper weight, door stop, jumper wire, hammer, puller-you name it. I even used it for its intended purposes too. Without a Swiss knife, I lose all my magical powers and revert to a mere mortal. Insist on Victorinox.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #17

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
The Victorinox Swiss Army model " Explorer " was my constant companion for over 30 years. I used it as a pry bar, scraper, paper weight, door stop, jumper wire, hammer, puller-you name it. I even used it for its intended purposes too. Without a Swiss knife, I lose all my magical powers and revert to a mere mortal. Insist on Victorinox.
+1000.... I have a Victorinox Workchamp (full-size locking blade) since always... I feel that I'm naked without it.
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 12-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #18

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts

Victorinox super tinker FTFW.

Nothing can beat them even them over marketed AP tools that when you go go use them the pliers break in half and you get told to go pound sand when you try to get the company to replace them.

Victorinox Swiss Army - MultiTools - Super Tinker

Old 12-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #19

Liked 297 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 135

I don't know about best or not, but I carry a Kershaw Leek (assisted opening plain edge) all the time as a pocket knife.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #20

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I don't know about best or not, but I carry a Kershaw Leek (assisted opening plain edge) all the time as a pocket knife.
I ahve been lusting for that knife for a while. I like the stright edge.

I think though I am going to pick me up and edge pro sharpener here soon. I dunno between my ADD and everything that strikes my fancy, college, kids, bills I never know what I am in the mood for.