Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   BOTB: The Pocketknife (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/botb-pocketknife-15371/)

Benning Boy 07-03-2009 04:51 AM

BOTB: The Pocketknife

Second in the Best of the Best series, what is the ultimate pocketknife?

I think form should meld with function in this case.

Bear in mind, we can no longer operate solely on name recognition in this category, since many classic brands are now outsourced to China for manufacture, and the quality isn't necessarily what it was for Grandpa.

We're not talking about tacticals here, but the knife that opens a letter, peels an orange, strips a wire, sharpens a stick to roast a marshmallow.

What say you, my friends?

Gojubrian 07-03-2009 07:11 AM

It has to be an all-in-one quality tool like the gerber or leatherman series with all the trimmings. Not just a knife.

For straight pocketknives, I prefer crkt. They are affordable and quality.

kodiak1973 07-03-2009 12:12 PM

+1 for the Gerber! I've got one that was gift from my dad that's over 15 years old and still going strong!

dnthmn2004 07-03-2009 02:11 PM

I'm going with a Kershaw Blur Tanto. Comfortable, grippy (even when wet), durable, damn sharp out of the box, assisted opening, 440A Tungsten DLC coated stainless steel, great for every day carry, and best of all - made in the USA.

jng2985 07-03-2009 03:04 PM

I carry a spyderco delica all over the place, I use it so much for random things I feel naked without it..

bkt 07-03-2009 05:16 PM

A knife isn't a tool; it is a class of tools, much like "gun" or "firearm" is a class of tools. Which is the best firearm? Well, it depends on your application. As such, there is no perfect pocket knife. There are some very good ones, and some really awful ones out there. But which one is right for you depends on what you're doing.

For all-around generic use in many situations, a multitool wins hands down. SOG, Gerber or even Leatherman (*spit*) work fine. Pliers, screwdrivers, bottle openers, saw, file, blade, etc. It isn't sexy, but it is functional.

My EDC at the moment is a CRKT My Tighe. All of my EDCs are single-blade knives that can be opened very easily, very quickly, with one hand. Generally, I shy away from serrations because they're a pain to sharpen. I never use a bead-blasted blade because that just impedes cutting. A drop point and a recurve blade gets you a little more cutting surface area. That's what I like. YMMV.

hunter Joe 07-03-2009 05:25 PM

A real sharp one with a good blade.

skullcrusher 07-03-2009 05:56 PM

I find myself using my small Swiss for lots of things around the house. There are cheap versions, but the ones still made by Victorinox are great little pocket knives. Don't forget about the toothpick and tweezers. :)

dnthmn2004 07-03-2009 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 124658)
I find myself using my small Swiss for lots of things around the house. There are cheap versions, but the ones still made by Victorinox are great little pocket knives. Don't forget about the toothpick and tweezers. :)

Amen.

I keep buying bottles of wine, but forget to get a wine bottle opener. Good thing I have a SAK.:cool:

WDB 07-03-2009 11:57 PM

Hen & Rooster three blade pocket knife. A blade for most needs, quality built and they hold an edge.