Boresight 'fail'
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Boresight 'fail'

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 02:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zhuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Aust
Posts: 2,031
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Boresight 'fail'

Got this in an email, would more accurately be described as "brain fail' though...


Sighting-in your expensive new deer rifle:


1. Shiny new, high-powered deer rifle .......... $1,200.00

2. Quality, high-powered scope ...................... $ 550.00

3. Bore sighting device ..................................... $ 140.00

4. Forgetting to remove the bore sighting device prior to actually shooting the darn thing?... Priceless!








__________________

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D
zhuk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 10-22-2010, 02:46 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zhuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Aust
Posts: 2,031
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default




5. Hospital Visit ........................................... $14,893.00


ouch!
__________________

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D
zhuk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:57 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 865
Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

I use the in chamber type laser bore sighter, so it would be hard to fire it with the bore sighter in the chamber.
My first gun I used a laser pointer & masking tape to hold it in the chamber.
It worked, when I got to the range I was on the paper at 100yds, just needed a little adj. to make it dead on.

__________________
7.62 Man is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:01 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mrm14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 2,389
Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default

I have the same bore sighter except with the longer tang that goes into the barrel to accomodate flash hiders of some older rifles I have. I dont use it much anymore, except to shine the laser dot around on the floor for the cat to chase, and it always has stayed on the work bench when not in use.

__________________
mrm14 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:31 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
M14sRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,539
Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

When I bother to use the boresighter, I do it at home.

Usually, I just start at 50 yards and get on paper. Easy to adjust from there in about 5 shots.

__________________
NRA-Life
CRPA-Life

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI


"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."
M14sRock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:36 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skullcrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio,Ohio
Posts: 10,949
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
When I bother to use the boresighter, I do it at home.

Usually, I just start at 50 yards and get on paper. Easy to adjust from there in about 5 shots.
I do the same, but I am lucky enough to have room indoors to laser bore sight at around 50 yards. Easy adjust for elevaton prior to first shot at about 100 yds. Plus, on a bright day, that dot is hard to see even with a good scope.

Good reminder, though to check your bore before putting one in the chamber.
__________________

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!


Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!
skullcrusher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:48 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
M14sRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,539
Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
I do the same, but I am lucky enough to have room indoors to laser bore sight at around 50 yards. Easy adjust for elevaton prior to first shot at about 100 yds. Plus, on a bright day, that dot is hard to see even with a good scope.

Good reminder, though to check your bore before putting one in the chamber.
My boresighter is the old school style with the gizmo you look through that has the grid. Outers, maybe?
__________________
NRA-Life
CRPA-Life

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI


"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."
M14sRock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skullcrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio,Ohio
Posts: 10,949
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
My boresighter is the old school style with the gizmo you look through that has the grid. Outers, maybe?
Ahh, mine is one I got on sale at Cabela's. One with the attachments for from .17 to .50 and a tapered slide. In the muzzle. I used it last for a friend's .300 Win Mag. Roughly sighted indoors at about 50 yards and then took it to my home range. Easy adjustments to about 100 yards to where my target was. Two people, two shots each grouped amazingly close considering one lefty shooter and one righty. Then it started to rain. Then we made adjustments for 200 yards. He took it to a range near him, and he said it was dead on at 200. I told him to make the adjustments for 400 yards and try again. No word on that one yet.
__________________

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!


Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!
skullcrusher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:11 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
M14sRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,539
Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Ahh, mine is one I got on sale at Cabela's. One with the attachments for from .17 to .50 and a tapered slide. In the muzzle. I used it last for a friend's .300 Win Mag. Roughly sighted indoors at about 50 yards and then took it to my home range. Easy adjustments to about 100 yards to where my target was. Two people, two shots each grouped amazingly close considering one lefty shooter and one righty. Then it started to rain. Then we made adjustments for 200 yards. He took it to a range near him, and he said it was dead on at 200. I told him to make the adjustments for 400 yards and try again. No word on that one yet.
Mine has all the arbors from .17 to .50, too. I've had it for at least 20 years.
__________________
NRA-Life
CRPA-Life

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI


"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."
M14sRock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Highpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upper Mississippi Valley
Posts: 1,547
Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
My collimator is the old school style with the gizmo you look through that has the grid. Outers, maybe?
Fixed it for you.

Mines a Redfield.
__________________
Highpower is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Fail Zero BCG (Bolt Carrier Group) thoughts and comments? jake AR-15 Discussion 8 12-05-2010 10:03 PM
Review of work done on an XD9 by Boresight Solutions, LLC SecPro XD Forum 10 10-13-2010 12:50 PM
Fail of the Day CA357 The Club House 5 08-10-2010 07:08 AM
Fail to eject in .303 and also AR-15 rangeshooter General Rifle Discussion 8 05-22-2010 11:50 AM
Boresight a Ruger 10-22 gunnysgt68 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 18 04-07-2010 02:40 AM