Boot recommendation
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Boot recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 03:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Default Boot recommendation

This is a bit off-topic but I would appreciate any and all recommendations.

Having spent the better part of today cleaning up from the blizzard that hit NJ I have come to realize that the hiking boots that I have been wearing are no longer up to the job. After a few hours in the snow my feet were frozen, wet, all shrively and very uncomfortable....

So I am looking for a new pair of boots that are suitable for wearing in the cold and snow but are not made solely for hunting or "off road" use...In effect I am looking for SUV type boots; rugged, waterproof and insulated but light and comfortable enough for all day wear.

Price range is up to $100...

Thanks

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2010, 04:15 AM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Look at Irish Setters by Red Wing. Irish Setter | Hunting Boots

Also don't forget to look on Promotive as well....

Old 12-28-2010, 04:18 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

When I lived in Lake Tahoe where long snowy winters are the norm, I wore Sorel's daily. However, they are dedicated snow boots. I don't know what flatlanders wear.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-28-2010, 04:49 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 468 Times on 257 Posts

Check out some of the Dealers in Promotive.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #5

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Look at Irish Setters by Red Wing. Irish Setter | Hunting Boots

Also don't forget to look on Promotive as well....
Right on, I have a pair of these that I'm very happy with.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a pair of Herman Survivors.Their called Hollow Point,and their at Walmart.Way better than Brahma boots.They are waterproof and insulated,look awesome (realtree),and are light.

Springfield Armory 1911 TRP,two of them,in Simply Rugged holsters for the summer and Andrews double shoulder holster for winter.

Benelli MR1 AR-15 with Surefire light/laser.

Benelli M2 with Surefire light.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #7

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

I have been wanting to try some of the Guide Gear boots from Sportsmans Guide. They are reasonably priced and have a lot of different styles, insulation ratings, etc.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have several pairs of Red Wings boots & shoes. I will only buy American Made Red Wing shoes, if you feel the same way then don't bother looking. Good American Made start at $165 and up, without a steel toe... You may be suprised how well & long they last.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wear Georgia Boots. Right at about $100 a pair. I got tired of buying a pair of Great Walmart of China boots every year. The GB's are four years old and still going strong! Solid leather, no nylon. I wear a 14wide, so I got 15 and wear thicker wool boot socks with them. The brown color is good for the woods, deer hunting and such, but also 'neutral' enough to wear to the office.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:28 PM   #10

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
I have several pairs of Red Wings boots & shoes. I will only buy American Made Red Wing shoes, if you feel the same way then don't bother looking. Good American Made start at $165 and up, without a steel toe... You may be suprised how well & long they last.
Does that include the Irish Setter line mentioned above? Have seen some listed below $165...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington