Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Boot recommendation (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/boot-recommendation-36115/)

Jpyle 12-28-2010 04:59 AM

Boot recommendation

This is a bit off-topic but I would appreciate any and all recommendations.

Having spent the better part of today cleaning up from the blizzard that hit NJ I have come to realize that the hiking boots that I have been wearing are no longer up to the job. After a few hours in the snow my feet were frozen, wet, all shrively and very uncomfortable....:(

So I am looking for a new pair of boots that are suitable for wearing in the cold and snow but are not made solely for hunting or "off road" use...In effect I am looking for SUV type boots; rugged, waterproof and insulated but light and comfortable enough for all day wear.

Price range is up to $100...

Thanks

cpttango30 12-28-2010 05:15 AM

Look at Irish Setters by Red Wing. Irish Setter | Hunting Boots

Also don't forget to look on Promotive as well....

CA357 12-28-2010 05:18 AM

When I lived in Lake Tahoe where long snowy winters are the norm, I wore Sorel's daily. However, they are dedicated snow boots. I don't know what flatlanders wear. ;)

Shihan 12-28-2010 05:49 AM

Check out some of the Dealers in Promotive.

lonyaeger 12-28-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 410497)
Look at Irish Setters by Red Wing. Irish Setter | Hunting Boots

Also don't forget to look on Promotive as well....

Right on, I have a pair of these that I'm very happy with.

BIGBEN 12-30-2010 09:31 PM

I have a pair of Herman Survivors.Their called Hollow Point,and their at Walmart.Way better than Brahma boots.They are waterproof and insulated,look awesome (realtree),and are light.

NitroxAZ 12-30-2010 10:06 PM

I have been wanting to try some of the Guide Gear boots from Sportsmans Guide. They are reasonably priced and have a lot of different styles, insulation ratings, etc.

billdeserthills 12-30-2010 10:49 PM

I have several pairs of Red Wings boots & shoes. I will only buy American Made Red Wing shoes, if you feel the same way then don't bother looking. Good American Made start at $165 and up, without a steel toe... You may be suprised how well & long they last.

Bigdog57 12-31-2010 12:26 AM

I wear Georgia Boots. Right at about $100 a pair. I got tired of buying a pair of Great Walmart of China boots every year. The GB's are four years old and still going strong! Solid leather, no nylon. I wear a 14wide, so I got 15 and wear thicker wool boot socks with them. The brown color is good for the woods, deer hunting and such, but also 'neutral' enough to wear to the office.

Jpyle 12-31-2010 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billdeserthills (Post 411781)
I have several pairs of Red Wings boots & shoes. I will only buy American Made Red Wing shoes, if you feel the same way then don't bother looking. Good American Made start at $165 and up, without a steel toe... You may be suprised how well & long they last.

Does that include the Irish Setter line mentioned above? Have seen some listed below $165...