Boot question - squared-toe particularly - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Boot question - squared-toe particularly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1034 Times on 634 Posts
Likes Given: 449

I paid more than I wanted too for a pair of Twisted X steel toed ropers. Very happy.

Awesome fit and construction!

I can recommend highly.

Truggie

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 02-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #22

Liked 217 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 450

I currently have a pair of Carolina uninsulated goretex boots, they have held up very well, it is the first pair of work boots that have lasted the whole construction season and then some, I will wear them again next year until they wear out. Last year I had Danners and they didn't last the whole season I believe it was 4 and a half months and the soles split, they weren't the $300 American made Danners though, my shoe shop only carries the made in China variety. My work is hard on boots, we bury underground utilities so I am always in the sand/dirt/clay and water and gouging them on rocks.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #23
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7779 Times on 4670 Posts
Likes Given: 9755

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Looking back, i wish i had broken & taped up the other pinkie toe to make it match.
You make me cringe. I once broke my pinkie toe by accident. I had to wear slippers to work for weeks. Damn, that hurt.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8812 Times on 5096 Posts
Likes Given: 11483

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Looking back, i wish i had broken & taped up the other pinkie toe to make it match.
Ain't nothing stopping you from doing it now, not that I can see!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #25

Liked 2117 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

On a serious note, I've broken both of my big toes and have found most good steel toes have a very narrow CAP that puts pressure on the broken joints. I have to get either an extra wide, which is hard on heel slippage, or get el cheapo W.W. boots and shoes. Both are scrappy options.

I've also found that Red Wings (provided by the co.) are pretty cheaply made and only last about four months.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:14 AM   #26
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1099 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Red Wings seem to be hit or miss for me. I'll buy a pair and get 2 years out of them, so I buy another pair and get 6 months. I get mad and buy a cheap pair at Sears, they last 6 monthes and make my feet hurt. I buy another pair of Red Wings and they last 2 years, and the process repeats itself. I am just at the end of a pair of Red Wings that lasted 2 years, I am going to have to make a decision in the next month or 2 on what to buy next. Thinking I might try Carolinas or Wolverines next, preferably if I can find some that are USA made.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #27

Liked 217 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
Red Wings seem to be hit or miss for me. I'll buy a pair and get 2 years out of them, so I buy another pair and get 6 months. I get mad and buy a cheap pair at Sears, they last 6 monthes and make my feet hurt. I buy another pair of Red Wings and they last 2 years, and the process repeats itself. I am just at the end of a pair of Red Wings that lasted 2 years, I am going to have to make a decision in the next month or 2 on what to buy next. Thinking I might try Carolinas or Wolverines next, preferably if I can find some that are USA made.
That is the problem with work boots, they are 150 or 200 bucks for china boots that are junk but you can get some of the same brands in American made for 300 bucks which is WAY more than I want to pay for a damned pair of boots and they will last, I have a $140 pair of Carolinas currently which have held up surprisingly well and are the most comfortable pair of boots I've had.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 02-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #28
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8812 Times on 5096 Posts
Likes Given: 11483

I have a pair of Chippewa insulated logger boots that I have had for 20 years, but my feet have spread out so they no longer fit. I probably got a good 8 years out of them, but that was not wearing them ever day, more like 3 days a week?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #29

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Old 02-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #30

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

To help your boots last longer, do not wear them 2 days in a row. They really need to air out for at least 24 hrs. Especially if you sweat alot or they are wet. The reason for this is due to the moisture build up and all the salts and minerals that come from your sweat. If the boots are allowed to dry properly they will last a lot longer.

I know some of you are thinking this is just a sales gimmick to sell more boots. That is not correct. Taking care of your footwear properly will help them last longer and they will be more comfortable. Also do not forget to put some type of cream or moisturizer on the outside of your boots. This will help them from cracking and the leather will breath better. Unless of course you use your boots for concrete. Then nothing will help them last longer.

Live each day as though a fire is raging in your hair!