Boot question - squared-toe particularly - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Boot question - squared-toe particularly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8446 Times on 5048 Posts
Likes Given: 11003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Real hippies dont wear shoes!!!
Good to know. But in the snow I'm betting they wear Birkenstocks.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 02-03-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6577 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Orangello, the best thing you could do is go to a western store and try on different types of boots. Try them on, and walk around the store with them for a bit.
I wear square toe boots, and they are super comfortable for me. I did have to go up a size so they were long enough for my feet though. I wear a size 13 for round toe boots, and a size 14 for square toe.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #13
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8446 Times on 5048 Posts
Likes Given: 11003

I believe he's looking for work/hiking sort of boots. Not cowboy boots.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #14

Liked 6577 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I believe he's looking for work/hiking sort of boots. Not cowboy boots.
lol, they usually have those too. Some cowboy boots would work great as a work/hiking boot. They come in different styles with different types of soles.

It really depends on what he wants to do with them though. If he does want to use them for hiking, then he needs a sole that can give him good traction. If he is working in an area where heavy objects could be dropped on his feet, then he could get steel toe boots. If he is just working in an office or just needs everyday boots, smooth sole boots (my personal preference) would work fine, or if he wants traction, he could get some with rubber soles.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 02-03-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #15

Liked 649 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

The two most comfortable boots for me are the Belleville 790 series boot a military lightweight,tough,gortex,with vibram soles,throw in a pair of Dr. Scholls and your good to go!

My other boot I prefer is Cruiserworks classic boot which is waterproof.This brand's geared towards the motorcycle riding crowd,but they sure are a good all around boot for comfort and wear.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 9080 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I have a friend who wears size 7FFFF shoes. He has to have his boots custom made. I think he pays $300 a pair for White. normally he wears flip-flops because he can't afford to wear out his work boots. His feet look like hands with the fingers cut off at the first knuckle. Kind of freaky.

I wear a wide round toe Justin western work boot in size 12DD. My dad wore size 13EEE, but nobody makes boots that size, so he had a hard time finding shoes. The wide toe is comfortable and doesn't crowd my toes. here's a pic (I kept my sock on so as to not freak you wussies out).
dscn0581.jpg  

Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #17

Liked 2414 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I'm currently wearing a pair of square toe Justin boots size 13D. Not for work, those are steel toe redwing boots in 14. They don't last long either.

I don't recommend Justin boots anymore, maybe an Ariat boot. I've have decent luck with them.

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltax View Post
I am one of the Sales Reps for Tony Lama Boots. Here is some infor that hopefully will help the OP. SQ toe boots are big in the retail market. Too answer the OP's questions....SQ toe boots and rd toe boots are made with strengthing features in the toe box area. What we use is extra leather and a stiffener to keep the shape of the toe box. You can also use a Steel toe insert for safety toes. What has become really popular is the compsite safety toes. They have all the safety aspects of steel toe but are lighter and do not transmitt the cold to your feet.

To be fitted properly you should have about a thumb width from the end of your toe to the end of the toe box on the boot. Regardless of the too style. Just keep in mind that each manufacture uses their own last to make up their boots. This is why you may wear a 9 in one brand and 9.5 in another. The biggest challenge is to make sure that the arch of your foot mates up with the arch of the boot. If your arch is too far forward or behind the arch of the boot, then you will not be comfortable. If when you try on a pair of boots in the store and you walk around, you can look at the arch area of the boot by the sole. If the leather starts to crease then your not fitted up properly. The arch area or instep should feel snug accross the top of your foot. By snug this means firm. Most people size their boots to wide and short. You should actually be longer and narrow. If your toes are at the end of the toe box you will be uncomfortable in a short period of time. Hence the thumb width as I mentioned before. The boot leather will stretch width wise to some extent, but will not stretch length wise.

In pull on boots, your foot is held in place by the arch or instep area of the boot. You will have heel slipage of about 1/4" to 1/2" until the sole of the boot is broken in. Even after that you will still have heel slipage. This is normal for pull ones. If you going with lace ups then your foot is held in place by the laces. This way your heel is held back to the heel counter and does not move.

Hope that helps the OP
I've been thinking bout trying a pair of tony lama I bought a pair of ariats last year and after a year the sole is falling off and well the whole dang boot is comin apart can u recommend a good pair of every day tony lama that will hold up to everyday walkin on concrete and through the woods

Old 02-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I wouldn't go with a heel any higher than three inches. They're hard to walk in.

I am picky about comfortable shoes, too. Truly, Birkenstocks are the best for me. No, I'm not a hippie.
LOL!

Real hippies ash their pipes in their Birks.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Thanks gang! I am look primarily for a pull on workish cowboy boot. The ones from my childhood were bikerish "harness boots"; i just don't think those would look great at work.

Great info on the toe reinforcement area!

Looking back, i wish i had broken & taped up the other pinkie toe to make it match.