Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Boot question - squared-toe particularly (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/boot-question-squared-toe-particularly-83090/)

orangello 02-01-2013 09:42 PM

Boot question - squared-toe particularly

OK, I need some boots. I have usually just bought some workboots and lived with the fact that my weird toes just aren't going to be fully comfortable with that toe cup.

I came across some of my most comfortable childhood boots the other day at Mom's house. I had forgotten they were of the squared-toe almost bikerish variety. I am wondering if that is why they seemed sooooo comfortable. I also remember loving dexters due to their tendency to conform to the shape of my feet/toes.

Probably TMI-
My big toe and the two nearest it are a bit longer than the pinkie toe and its sidekick. The pinkie toe on one foot is twisted about 90 degrees on its axis and does tend to pull up a bit in that direction; i long ago broke the other pinkie toe to set it straight, all good there. NO, i was not the spawn of demons, nor do i think the funky toe alignment is a mark of extreme sexual prowess like a third nipple.

Any boot experts here? Anybody know if squared-toe boots usually come with a toe cup or plastic piece to maintain the toe shape? Any other recommendations for comfy boots for weird-shaped feet/toes? Any suggestions on brands or material (other than bear leather of course)?

Thanks!

Devin556 02-01-2013 11:07 PM

I personally like ariat boots. I work in a diesel shop on a concrete floor 10 hours a day 5 days a week and they are extremely comfortable. As far as the toe cup goes I'm sure they make many different style's. I have abnormally wide feet and they fit me perfect, and also hold up to the abuse I put them through better than others I've tried. The pair I had before ariat's was Justin's and they only lasted about 6 months.

Trez 02-01-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 1119506)
Any suggestions on brands or material (other than bear leather of course)?

Thanks!

You surprised me there 'Gello.. I woulda though boots made from a bear would be number 1 on your list and you would buy several pairs (Ya' know to make sure the demand stays up... ;) )

danf_fl 02-01-2013 11:35 PM

Note: You can only kill cucarachas in the corner with pointed toe cowboy boots. :)

mountainman13 02-02-2013 12:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Waterproof,sweat wicking,safety toe,oil shock and slip resistant....

orangello 02-03-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trez (Post 1119613)
You surprised me there 'Gello.. I woulda though boots made from a bear would be number 1 on your list and you would buy several pairs (Ya' know to make sure the demand stays up... ;) )

I can't find any; i did look. :(

I will check out the Ariat line, thanks.

I need at least a little bit of heel for my bad back.

boatme98 02-03-2013 04:43 PM

'Hello, you're right. That's way too much info about your piggies.
Oh, and if you're wearing g your cup on your foot, you need to go have a serious talk with your Jr. High gym teacher.

winds-of-change 02-03-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 1121830)
I need at least a little bit of heel for my bad back.

I wouldn't go with a heel any higher than three inches. They're hard to walk in.

I am picky about comfortable shoes, too. Truly, Birkenstocks are the best for me. No, I'm not a hippie.

Poltax 02-03-2013 05:56 PM

I am one of the Sales Reps for Tony Lama Boots. Here is some infor that hopefully will help the OP. SQ toe boots are big in the retail market. Too answer the OP's questions....SQ toe boots and rd toe boots are made with strengthing features in the toe box area. What we use is extra leather and a stiffener to keep the shape of the toe box. You can also use a Steel toe insert for safety toes. What has become really popular is the compsite safety toes. They have all the safety aspects of steel toe but are lighter and do not transmitt the cold to your feet.

To be fitted properly you should have about a thumb width from the end of your toe to the end of the toe box on the boot. Regardless of the too style. Just keep in mind that each manufacture uses their own last to make up their boots. This is why you may wear a 9 in one brand and 9.5 in another. The biggest challenge is to make sure that the arch of your foot mates up with the arch of the boot. If your arch is too far forward or behind the arch of the boot, then you will not be comfortable. If when you try on a pair of boots in the store and you walk around, you can look at the arch area of the boot by the sole. If the leather starts to crease then your not fitted up properly. The arch area or instep should feel snug accross the top of your foot. By snug this means firm. Most people size their boots to wide and short. You should actually be longer and narrow. If your toes are at the end of the toe box you will be uncomfortable in a short period of time. Hence the thumb width as I mentioned before. The boot leather will stretch width wise to some extent, but will not stretch length wise.

In pull on boots, your foot is held in place by the arch or instep area of the boot. You will have heel slipage of about 1/4" to 1/2" until the sole of the boot is broken in. Even after that you will still have heel slipage. This is normal for pull ones. If you going with lace ups then your foot is held in place by the laces. This way your heel is held back to the heel counter and does not move.

Hope that helps the OP

Trez 02-03-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 1122113)
I wouldn't go with a heel any higher than three inches. They're hard to walk in.

I am picky about comfortable shoes, too. Truly, Birkenstocks are the best for me. No, I'm not a hippie.

Real hippies dont wear shoes!!! :p