body armor - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > body armor

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buttholeville
Posts: 1,206
Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Default

In the guys defense I would like some plates to wear if I ever had to go to a public range...but i dont and can see no other reason to have them. TO THE NINJA CAVE

__________________
nchunt101 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,751
Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
In the guys defense I would like some plates to wear if I ever had to go to a public range...but i dont and can see no other reason to have them. TO THE NINJA CAVE
Just one more reason I dont do public ranges . Just to many uneducated gun owners out there and I dont wanna be that person to find out . We have a private range with steel plates out to 450 yards and when the crops are down 900 yards .
__________________
Criminals Prefer Unarmerd Victims....


And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buttholeville
Posts: 1,206
Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Just one more reason I dont do public ranges . Just to many uneducated gun owners out there and I dont wanna be that person to find out . We have a private range with steel plates out to 450 yards and when the crops are down 900 yards .
I agree. Other than a few times shooting clays and skeet I have only been to one public range. I have never been so scared in my life. I was visiting my grandfather in a suburban area outside of Chicago and although the people at the range were nice I will never go back there again.
__________________
nchunt101 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:12 AM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
molonlabexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 975
Liked 367 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default

Yeah sadly public ranges are the only thing I have to my access. I mean I *could* go to the country but such a long adventure to there. I have the armor and I am getting a condor MOPC to get rid of that POS plate carrier the armor came with. I got the paperwork from the army department that test bulk steel samples.

Now my objective is to figure out the spalling issue. Kevlar fabric wrapped around the plates?

__________________
NRA member. Gun owner. From my cold, dead hands...


Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!


I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...
molonlabexx is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hoovco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: All over the place
Posts: 665
Liked 258 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx
Yeah sadly public ranges are the only thing I have to my access. I mean I *could* go to the country but such a long adventure to there. I have the armor and I am getting a condor MOPC to get rid of that POS plate carrier the armor came with. I got the paperwork from the army department that test bulk steel samples.

Now my objective is to figure out the spalling issue. Kevlar fabric wrapped around the plates?
Line-x does an anti spalling coating.

This is the spalling coming from steel plates:

image-1403768666.jpg

Not something you want going into your face or groin area.
__________________
"Inspirational Quote" - Someone Inspirational
hoovco is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
molonlabexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 975
Liked 367 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovco View Post

Line-x does an anti spalling coating.

This is the spalling coming from steel plates:

Not something you want going into your face or groin area.
The line x coating is useless. I have seen test after test that defeats it. Sure it may stop a few pellets of shrapnel but at the end of the day, you're still getting some in your jaw. As I said I think Kevlar fabric wrapping would be the best thing.
__________________
NRA member. Gun owner. From my cold, dead hands...


Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!


I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...
molonlabexx is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:52 AM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hoovco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: All over the place
Posts: 665
Liked 258 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx

The line x coating is useless. I have seen test after test that defeats it. Sure it may stop a few pellets of shrapnel but at the end of the day, you're still getting some in your jaw. As I said I think Kevlar fabric wrapping would be the best thing.
Not buying cheap body armor would be the best thing.
__________________
"Inspirational Quote" - Someone Inspirational
hoovco is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:13 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,844
Liked 1233 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Just keep in mind( and in no way trying to be funny or rude OP) that almost ANY vest can be defeated. Sadly I'm living proof that the level II vest that dad gave me for deployment to Lebanon( and wore to URGENT FURY) was defeated by a 5.45x29 steel cored round from an AK-74 at a range of less then 50 Ft. It sits where it's been the last 29+ years. Under my left shoulder blade just off the left side of my upper spine. Good luck with your purchase.

I have seen ads for the kid pack pack ones, and the plates to make any bag a "Bullet proof"(sic) bag...
What made you think a vest that was only rated to stop low powered handgun ammunition would stop a high velocity steel core rifle bullet?
__________________
kbd512 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 10,280
Liked 6622 Times on 3690 Posts
Likes Given: 6293

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
NIJ III-A stops .44 Magnum SJHP or SWC.

NIJ III stops 7.62x51MM NATO FMJ (M80, no steel core), 5.56x45MM NATO FMJ (M193, no steel core)

NIJ IV stops .30-06 APM2 (armor piercing)

Basically, any steel core or "penetrator" rifle bullet from 5.56MM NATO to 7.62MM NATO was not designed to be stopped by NIJ III. This also means that steel core Russian 5.45x39MM and 7.62x39MM ammunition was not designed to be stopped by a NIJ III plate at the test distance.

If you're really worried about stopping rifle rounds, NIJ IV plates are better than NIJ III plates. I can't recall, but I believe ESAPI plates are NIJ III or a little better but require a soft armor backing for that rating.

Standalone ceramic plates rated to NIJ IV will weigh between 5.5 and 8.5 pounds per plate, or 11 to 17 pounds for front and back protection. A lightweight plate carrier (like a Blue Force Gear LMAC) will weigh another pound or so. Side plates will add between 2 and 6 pounds per plate, so another 4 to 12 pounds. If you have all 4 plates in a carrier, a medium is going to be about 20 pounds. If you have a III-A vest underneath your plates, add another 10 pounds. 30 pounds of armor will be very heavy and very hot. Probably better hit the gym as often as possible.

You can't "stay out of areas where you might get shot". You can get shot anywhere and at any time. You can accept that simple fact or choose to ignore it, but the risk is the same irrespective of whether or not you planned ahead or not. If you don't think you'll need it, you're faster than a speeding bullet (the police can debate whether or not the bullets are "speeding", but they seem pretty speedy to me), or think your handgun will protect you from incoming bullets, good luck and I hope that works out for you. The likelihood of a threat is not in any way related to the destructive potential of the threat.

If wearing body armor was as simple and easy as wearing a T-shirt, there wouldn't be a lot of arguments against it. Body armor is toasty in the summer and most people don't like it for that reason. In years past, it was considerably heavier than the latest technology available today. Of course, the latest and greatest is also considerably more expensive.
When I retired, NIJ level lll was kevlar and not rated for rifle rounds, without steel or ceramic plates in the pockets.

I wore body armor for a number of years. I no longer go out looking for trouble as part of the job, so I don't wear it anymore.

My reference to staying out of high crime areas is valid. Sure, you can get shot in church. But are ya gonna wear armor to church???

What I meant was, taking a shortcut through "the hood" to save 1/2 gallon of gas, going looking for drugs and/or hookers, etc.

If I ever had to go to the ghettos of a major city again, I'll dig out my old lllA and wear it. But I'm going to do everything I can to avoid the necessity of going to those places.
__________________

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,844
Liked 1233 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
When I retired, NIJ level lll was kevlar and not rated for rifle rounds, without steel or ceramic plates in the pockets.

I wore body armor for a number of years. I no longer go out looking for trouble as part of the job, so I don't wear it anymore.

My reference to staying out of high crime areas is valid. Sure, you can get shot in church. But are ya gonna wear armor to church???

What I meant was, taking a shortcut through "the hood" to save 1/2 gallon of gas, going looking for drugs and/or hookers, etc.

If I ever had to go to the ghettos of a major city again, I'll dig out my old lllA and wear it. But I'm going to do everything I can to avoid the necessity of going to those places.
Agreed, going out and looking for trouble or going to neighborhoods that you know are questionable at best when you don't have to is not very prudent travel planning.

I try to avoid churches, but sometimes the situation calls for a little organized religion, like Christmas with your relatives.

That said, unlike being more holy, being more holey is generally bad and a good vest can help you avoid the expense and trouble of being any more holey than you have to be.
__________________
kbd512 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Body armor at the range KJG67 Training & Safety 92 09-18-2013 12:58 AM
body armor laws? cakesterkiller Firearm Accessories & Gear 21 08-08-2013 08:26 PM
Body Armor Suggestion... Tackleberry1 Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 15 02-10-2013 04:21 PM