body armor - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

body armor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 373 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 160

HERE is the eBay store where I got the armor from. You guys be the judge: http://stores.ebay.com/Tactical-Armor-Concepts

The plate carrier that I got is a cheap one so I am upgrading to a condor mopc.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 07-26-2013, 01:35 AM   #22

Liked 258 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx
HERE is the eBay store where I got the armor from. You guys be the judge: http://stores.ebay.com/Tactical-Armor-Concepts

The plate carrier that I got is a cheap one so I am upgrading to a condor mopc.
I never got why civilians thought it was cool to wear plate carriers and body armor.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:37 AM   #23

Condor MOPC ... Like, what the hell are you going to do with that?

Old 07-26-2013, 03:01 AM   #24

Liked 373 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovco View Post
Condor MOPC ... Like, what the hell are you going to do with that?
Overturning the rudeness, the MOPC is a plate carrier. And as others have said, body armor is a nice thing to have when SHTF. What good are all your guns if you get taken by surprise? Just keep some quick clot and bandages in the carrier and it should be fine.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 07-26-2013, 03:14 AM   #25
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1370 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
First off, in non-combat situations, armor has limited value unless it's concealed. (you just shoot for the head or abdomen.)

Plate carriers are good for military and SWAT team use only.

I've worn level 3 and 3A, without plates) for an entire watch, and it's miserable. Heavy, hard to conceal, and hotter than hell.

Level 3 will stop handgun bullets including .44 magnum. Level 2 will stop 95 percent of handgun rounds, and is the choice of many older, experienced officers. These are Kevlar.

Plate vests, that will defeat .223 and .308 are Kevlar with steel or ceramic plates, in pockets . They can weigh 25 lbs of more, and are impossible to conceal.

Good "tests" of body armor. if it costs less than about $750 (or more) new, pass on it. The good stuff isn't cheap. If you can't conceal it under a loose fitting shirt, pass on it.

If you're not military or LE, stay out of areas where you might need it.
NIJ III-A stops .44 Magnum SJHP or SWC.

NIJ III stops 7.62x51MM NATO FMJ (M80, no steel core), 5.56x45MM NATO FMJ (M193, no steel core)

NIJ IV stops .30-06 APM2 (armor piercing)

Basically, any steel core or "penetrator" rifle bullet from 5.56MM NATO to 7.62MM NATO was not designed to be stopped by NIJ III. This also means that steel core Russian 5.45x39MM and 7.62x39MM ammunition was not designed to be stopped by a NIJ III plate at the test distance.

If you're really worried about stopping rifle rounds, NIJ IV plates are better than NIJ III plates. I can't recall, but I believe ESAPI plates are NIJ III or a little better but require a soft armor backing for that rating.

Standalone ceramic plates rated to NIJ IV will weigh between 5.5 and 8.5 pounds per plate, or 11 to 17 pounds for front and back protection. A lightweight plate carrier (like a Blue Force Gear LMAC) will weigh another pound or so. Side plates will add between 2 and 6 pounds per plate, so another 4 to 12 pounds. If you have all 4 plates in a carrier, a medium is going to be about 20 pounds. If you have a III-A vest underneath your plates, add another 10 pounds. 30 pounds of armor will be very heavy and very hot. Probably better hit the gym as often as possible.

You can't "stay out of areas where you might get shot". You can get shot anywhere and at any time. You can accept that simple fact or choose to ignore it, but the risk is the same irrespective of whether or not you planned ahead or not. If you don't think you'll need it, you're faster than a speeding bullet (the police can debate whether or not the bullets are "speeding", but they seem pretty speedy to me), or think your handgun will protect you from incoming bullets, good luck and I hope that works out for you. The likelihood of a threat is not in any way related to the destructive potential of the threat.

If wearing body armor was as simple and easy as wearing a T-shirt, there wouldn't be a lot of arguments against it. Body armor is toasty in the summer and most people don't like it for that reason. In years past, it was considerably heavier than the latest technology available today. Of course, the latest and greatest is also considerably more expensive.

Last edited by kbd512; 07-26-2013 at 03:17 AM.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx

Overturning the rudeness, the MOPC is a plate carrier. And as others have said, body armor is a nice thing to have when SHTF. What good are all your guns if you get taken by surprise? Just keep some quick clot and bandages in the carrier and it should be fine.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Mmkay.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #27

Be sure to buy some infidel morale patches, Velcro hat, shemagh, and whatever else Blackhawk! sells for when SHTF.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #28
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Just keep in mind( and in no way trying to be funny or rude OP) that almost ANY vest can be defeated. Sadly I'm living proof that the level II vest that dad gave me for deployment to Lebanon( and wore to URGENT FURY) was defeated by a 5.45x29 steel cored round from an AK-74 at a range of less then 50 Ft. It sits where it's been the last 29+ years. Under my left shoulder blade just off the left side of my upper spine. Good luck with your purchase.

I have seen ads for the kid pack pack ones, and the plates to make any bag a "Bullet proof"(sic) bag...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #29
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovco
Be sure to buy some infidel morale patches, Velcro hat, shemagh, and whatever else Blackhawk! sells for when SHTF.
Actually Velcro make noise when it's unfastened. It can be annoying.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #30

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

Is this guy Gecko45 under a new name?????
People Like This