Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > body armor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 03:22 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 325 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Hey folks. I bought a plate carrier and two level 3 10"X12" plates off eBay for around $250. The steel is ar500. It is custom made but checked out the seller who has well over 1,000 A+ ratings. I have always wanted body armor but how do you guys think of this? Is it practical? What would YOU use it for? Obviously I am not going to go walking around the grocery store with it but what situations would it be good for? Tornadoes? Thanks and as always , I am trying to learn more of what others use similar gear for to apply to my own systems.

The plate carrier is off brand and some stitching seems like it will fail but 90%, including the drag handle, seems good. The armor is not from ar500armor.com who seems like the best company to get ar 500 from which was originally what I thought I was getting from the eBay seller. But the armor is NIJ certified, hopefully they are not making that up but like I said, the reviews are great.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Last edited by molonlabexx; 07-26-2013 at 01:02 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5979 Times on 3273 Posts
Likes Given: 11434

Armor is necessary protection in certain situations. I would avoid those situations.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #3

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

If I need body armor to be somewhere that is somewhere I don't need to be. Like Chicago.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5242 Times on 2733 Posts
Likes Given: 329

I cant think of any normal usefor it other than taking a walking tour of washington dc new york city or chitcago.

The deal sounds sketchy to me

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 325 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Well this stuff can't be concealed (the plates "can" but not really designed and you would have to find a small vest. It is steel. And I don't go to liberal states :-) but if I ever did...

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 07-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
Hey folks. I bought a plate carrier and two level 3A 10"X12" plates off eBay for around $250. The steel is ar500. It is custom made but checked out the seller who has well over 1,000 A+ ratings. I have always wanted body armor but how do you guys think of this? Is it practical? What would YOU use it for? Obviously I am not going to go walking around the grocery store with it but what situations would it be good for? Tornadoes? Thanks and as always , I am trying to learn more of what others use similar gear for to apply to my own systems.

The plate carrier is off brand and some stitching seems like it will fail but 90%, including the drag handle, seems good. The armor is not from ar500armor.com who seems like the best company to get are 500 from which was originally what I thought I was getting from the eBay seller. But the armor is DOJ certified, hopefully they are not making that up but like I said, the reviews are great.
The real question here is are you willing to bet your life on body armor you bought from an unknown individual on Ebay?

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 07-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 898 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 363

Let's presume for a second that there's nothing wrong with the steel and that the plates have been NIJ rated and tested.

I've never heard of NIJ IIIA plates. I'm not saying they don't exist, I've just never heard of that. I have heard of NIJ III plates (steel, titanium, ceramic, UHMWPE, and plates that are III rated with a soft armor backing).

So, these are my questions:

What were you attempting to stop with the plates? Handgun ammunition or rifle ammunition?

Are your plates NIJ rated? Did you ask to see any paperwork before your purchase?

Do you have a spall liner for your plates? Steel and to a lesser extent titanium both have a tendency for pieces of the plate to become secondary missiles when struck with a high velocity rifle round. So, do you have kevlar behind the plates if you intended to defeat rifle ammunition?

Why didn't you spend an extra $100 or so and get ceramic if you were trying to defeat rifle rounds? Steel is pretty heavy for its protective qualities and it's a really good idea to have a spall liner, which would add another $50-$100 or so depending on the make of the kevlar.

Can you return it and spend an extra $100 for ceramic standalone plates? Like most everything else in life, you get what you pay for. If that's all you can really afford, then steel is better than nothing, but if you have even a little more funds to allocate, ceramic or UHMWPE would be the way to go. UHMWPE (ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene; basically, really dense plastic) is quite a bit bulkier, but the lightest and most expensive of all available options.

All materials have drawbacks:

Steel and titanium - spalling can occur with high velocity hits
Ceramic - rough handling or drops can crack the plates
UHMWPE - can't be left in the trunk of a car or anywhere it might get baked or melted

I wear a woven twaron vest, as opposed to laminated (which have the same heat sensitivity problems as UHMWPE), which is just a thinner and lighter para-aramid fiber like kevlar. It's rated to III-A, which means it won't defeat any exotic high-velocity pistol ammunition or any rifle ammunition but it will stop common handgun ammunition.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #8

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Why do you need/want armor?

Old 07-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #9

Liked 225 Times on 140 Posts

I have a level IIIA Kevlar vest,only because I got it for a smoking deal though,couldn't pass it up.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #10

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Interesting , If you dont know what to use it for then you probably shouldnt have bought it . Tornados ? NO . I dont know if you have it yet or not but I will tell you loaded up with 6 full mags and 4 coated plates its not going to be light , Your not going to run around like a track star . At the bare minimum mine weighs in at 38# vest, plates and 6 full mags . I use the carrier when I go to classes with usually just 4 mags , no plates . Its hot and not the most comfortable piece of equipment I own . Will I ever need the plates ? Maybe, as a requirement for a class is possible . But just out as a civi in the public , I hope I never need them that way because if one ever does its not going to be a environment I would want to be in . EVER !!!!!

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens