Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   body armor (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/body-armor-94393/)

molonlabexx 07-25-2013 03:22 AM

Hey folks. I bought a plate carrier and two level 3 10"X12" plates off eBay for around $250. The steel is ar500. It is custom made but checked out the seller who has well over 1,000 A+ ratings. I have always wanted body armor but how do you guys think of this? Is it practical? What would YOU use it for? Obviously I am not going to go walking around the grocery store with it but what situations would it be good for? Tornadoes? Thanks and as always , I am trying to learn more of what others use similar gear for to apply to my own systems.

The plate carrier is off brand and some stitching seems like it will fail but 90%, including the drag handle, seems good. The armor is not from ar500armor.com who seems like the best company to get ar 500 from which was originally what I thought I was getting from the eBay seller. But the armor is NIJ certified, hopefully they are not making that up but like I said, the reviews are great.

MisterMcCool 07-25-2013 04:19 AM

Armor is necessary protection in certain situations. I would avoid those situations.

gunnut07 07-25-2013 12:05 PM

If I need body armor to be somewhere that is somewhere I don't need to be. Like Chicago.

JonM 07-25-2013 12:09 PM

I cant think of any normal usefor it other than taking a walking tour of washington dc new york city or chitcago.

The deal sounds sketchy to me

molonlabexx 07-25-2013 12:29 PM

Well this stuff can't be concealed (the plates "can" but not really designed and you would have to find a small vest. It is steel. And I don't go to liberal states :-) but if I ever did...

DFlynt 07-25-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molonlabexx (Post 1314545)
Hey folks. I bought a plate carrier and two level 3A 10"X12" plates off eBay for around $250. The steel is ar500. It is custom made but checked out the seller who has well over 1,000 A+ ratings. I have always wanted body armor but how do you guys think of this? Is it practical? What would YOU use it for? Obviously I am not going to go walking around the grocery store with it but what situations would it be good for? Tornadoes? Thanks and as always , I am trying to learn more of what others use similar gear for to apply to my own systems.

The plate carrier is off brand and some stitching seems like it will fail but 90%, including the drag handle, seems good. The armor is not from ar500armor.com who seems like the best company to get are 500 from which was originally what I thought I was getting from the eBay seller. But the armor is DOJ certified, hopefully they are not making that up but like I said, the reviews are great.

The real question here is are you willing to bet your life on body armor you bought from an unknown individual on Ebay?

kbd512 07-25-2013 04:50 PM

Let's presume for a second that there's nothing wrong with the steel and that the plates have been NIJ rated and tested.

I've never heard of NIJ IIIA plates. I'm not saying they don't exist, I've just never heard of that. I have heard of NIJ III plates (steel, titanium, ceramic, UHMWPE, and plates that are III rated with a soft armor backing).

So, these are my questions:

What were you attempting to stop with the plates? Handgun ammunition or rifle ammunition?

Are your plates NIJ rated? Did you ask to see any paperwork before your purchase?

Do you have a spall liner for your plates? Steel and to a lesser extent titanium both have a tendency for pieces of the plate to become secondary missiles when struck with a high velocity rifle round. So, do you have kevlar behind the plates if you intended to defeat rifle ammunition?

Why didn't you spend an extra $100 or so and get ceramic if you were trying to defeat rifle rounds? Steel is pretty heavy for its protective qualities and it's a really good idea to have a spall liner, which would add another $50-$100 or so depending on the make of the kevlar.

Can you return it and spend an extra $100 for ceramic standalone plates? Like most everything else in life, you get what you pay for. If that's all you can really afford, then steel is better than nothing, but if you have even a little more funds to allocate, ceramic or UHMWPE would be the way to go. UHMWPE (ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene; basically, really dense plastic) is quite a bit bulkier, but the lightest and most expensive of all available options.

All materials have drawbacks:

Steel and titanium - spalling can occur with high velocity hits
Ceramic - rough handling or drops can crack the plates
UHMWPE - can't be left in the trunk of a car or anywhere it might get baked or melted

I wear a woven twaron vest, as opposed to laminated (which have the same heat sensitivity problems as UHMWPE), which is just a thinner and lighter para-aramid fiber like kevlar. It's rated to III-A, which means it won't defeat any exotic high-velocity pistol ammunition or any rifle ammunition but it will stop common handgun ammunition.

Kdub 07-25-2013 05:16 PM

Why do you need/want armor?

Jstrong 07-25-2013 05:36 PM

I have a level IIIA Kevlar vest,only because I got it for a smoking deal though,couldn't pass it up.

purehavoc 07-25-2013 05:46 PM

Interesting , If you dont know what to use it for then you probably shouldnt have bought it . Tornados ? NO . I dont know if you have it yet or not but I will tell you loaded up with 6 full mags and 4 coated plates its not going to be light , Your not going to run around like a track star . At the bare minimum mine weighs in at 38# vest, plates and 6 full mags . I use the carrier when I go to classes with usually just 4 mags , no plates . Its hot and not the most comfortable piece of equipment I own . Will I ever need the plates ? Maybe, as a requirement for a class is possible . But just out as a civi in the public , I hope I never need them that way because if one ever does its not going to be a environment I would want to be in . EVER !!!!!