Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > BOB The Basics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Has anyone ever used one of those sillya$$ aluminum foil looking space blankets? I've got a couple, but have never had occaision to even open one up.
There are several different types, I used them a couple of times and they worked well (they were the sturdier ones, not the ultra-compact ones).

The first time I used it was in a canoe trip with my dad and my brother, a sudden storm caught us by surprise, temperature drop very quickly. It helped my brother recover his body temperature.

Second time was at mount Salkantay in the Peruvian Andes, after falling into a creek and getting completely soaked (not too enjoyable when you're 4000 meters high and it's cold). It helped, but getting into a nice (dry!) down sleeping bag is what really made the difference.

I used it to reflect heat from a fire when sleeping in a lean to type of shelter, and it was quite good for that.

It's also a decent signalling device.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-23-2011, 01:51 AM   #12

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Has anyone ever used one of those sillya$$ aluminum foil looking space blankets? I've got a couple, but have never had occaision to even open one up.
I don't even have a BOB, but I have looked into it quite a bit. I found you can get the reflective type bags instead of the blankets for only a few dollars more. They seemed like an intelligent choice.
Edit: http://www.rei.com/product/357005/space-emergency-bag

Also, as for fishing line and hooks, I have seen mechanisms that hook fish when triggered without you having to man the pole. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Edit: http://www.bestglide.com/Military_Speedhook_Info.html

Finally, I have just gotten into chia seeds. They keep for up to two years and are very good for you. Supposedly, the Aztecs could eat a tablespoon worth and it would sustain a person for 24 hours. After eating them myself, I understand why that story has currency.
Edit: These can be purchased at a health food store for half the price ($6.50 lb) of Whole Foods.

Maybe if I can get a job, I'll put a bag together.

Last edited by Tuco; 09-23-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Finally, I have just gotten into chia seeds. They keep for up to two years and are very good for you. Supposedly, the Aztecs could eat a tablespoon worth and it would sustain a person for 24 hours. After eating them myself, I understand why that story has currency.
I've never heard of this??? Have you tried 'em?? Do they work??

Sounds like a great weight loss strategy to me!

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 09-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #14

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I've never heard of this??? Have you tried 'em?? Do they work??

Sounds like a great weight loss strategy to me!
Hydrashok,

I eat three tablespoons per day. I'm not trying to lose weight, but they are really good for you, and yes, they are good for weight loss. You put them in water at 1 part seed to 9 parts water/any other liquid. After about 30 minutes, a gel starts to form around the seed. Stir in 1 table spoon of seed at that point with whatever you are drinking--the gel is no longer noticeable, and there is no taste, but the gel will displace volume in your stomach, hence they are good for weight-loss.

I want a years supply of food. I know this is kind of the opposite of a BOB, but I think it is a good idea to have. These seeds keep for 2 years due to there extreme antioxidant content. They don't take up much room. They take no real preparation.

They don't really require a liquid, but you will need some water anyway for a BOB. Since you put these in liquid, they won't make you thirsty. I know there are bars that claim not to induce thirst, and I think that's great. I'm just sayin'.

BTW, if you were to put these in a BOB, and you decide to drink them with water, the ratio should be 1 part seed to maybe 30 or more parts water.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #15

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Don't forget the multitool!