Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > BOB The Basics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Default BOB The Basics

OK I am in need of building a Bug Out Bag (BOB) like many. I am unsure of the basics that need to go into one. So Dillinger, and other uber cool BOB gods List what is the basics that HAVE to be in every bag.

1. Bag
2. Knife
3. Meds/First Aid Kit.
4. Fire starting equipment
5. Go from there.......

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Man, we have a ton of BOB threads going all of a sudden.

I think everyone should have the basics, medically ( prescriptions, bandages, compresses, etc. ). That is number one in my book.

Number two is a way to get and purify water, because you will need it. Let's face it, there is a ton of water out there, but if you can't drink it, what good does it do you?

A compass, preferably with a straight edge and ruler and a signal mirror if you can afford it. At least a compass and know how to use it.

A way to start a fire. You don't NEED a $30 or $50 instant fire kit. Some good quality wood stick matches that are stored in a ziploc bag can work if you take your time and are careful.

Cotton balls covered in vaseline or other semi solid flammable solutions are cheap and easy to procure. With this method, make sure and plan on changing them out about once every 6 to 9 months because of the chemical breakdown that can occur, leaving you with a pile of jelly.

A good knife is a must. As are some dry socks/underwear ( because if your feet are wet & cold, you are just going to be that much more miserable ).

I think everyone needs a foldable poncho or small tarp, along with some paracord or mule tape. Something like that to build a bit of a lean to if the need arises.

A lot of stuff for BOB can be had cheap if you keep your eyes open. For instance, ketchup and mustard packets, salt & pepper packets. Seem like little things, and they are, but they can be REALLY nice to have when you are eating food you wouldn't rather.

15' or 20' of coiled fishing line and a couple of small hooks weigh close to nothing, but they can be VERY useful.

A good hat to keep the rain and sun off your neck.

Probably about a dozen more cheap things that will come to me while I am making dinner.

See yah for now Tango....

Old 01-20-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1303 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
OK I am in need of building a Bug Out Bag (BOB) like many.
Why? What do you want it to be able to do for you?

I'm not trying to be a jerk. But the idea of having everything you need in a backpack isn't realistic until you define what "everything you need" is.

Assuming you're looking for a pack that can help you if you're away from home and you want to get to a known place of safety, you will want some water or a means to purify water, a means to make fire, a shelter (like a tarp, some rope, a knife), maybe some spare clothes or clothes appropriate to the season, maps, a compass, some cash, and a couple granola bars or something else to eat.

This should go a long way to getting you to your desired destination.

But as you think about it, you wonder...what if it takes longer than a day? What if I need a medical kit or trauma kit? What if there are others with me? What if there are zombies all around and I have to be armed? In an instant, you can fill a duffel bag a couple times over.

Figure out what you think you want a BoB to do for you. Build your BoB based on that. Keep your BoB with you or it won't help you when you need it.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:43 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Basics Tango?

Fire Starter and dry kindling, Water purifier, Shelter (as per JD), Knife, Hand Ax (or really big knife), fishing line (hooks, weights, etc.), small caliber hand gun 9MM or .22LR and 100 rounds of ammo, Sleep Sack or emergency sleep bag, 1 wool blanket, 1 MRE, 1 can Corned beef, 1 can pork and beans, Salt, Sugar, Flour, 1 compact wood fired pack stove (plans here http://www.thru-hiker.com/projects/nimblewill_stove.php or an empty #10 can, a complete change of clothes in a water proof bag, a dry pair of shoes, two rolls of TP, 1 newspaper in a water proof bag, 1 mess kit, 1 set of camping silver ware (NO Plastic), Faraday Flashlight, Dynamo Radio, Compass, Map of the State I live in or am visiting, 1 Emergency Medical kit with sugrical kit.

More than I would have thought!! And I forgot the damned candles!!

Best youtube vid on making your own wood camp stove

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 01-21-2010 at 01:14 AM.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There are quite a few books written on the subject of survival, but few that deal with kits in detail. A while ago I picked up a copy of "Build the perfect survival kit" by John McCann and found it quite useful.

While I don't agree with some of the author's gear choices, he does provide a good framework to help organize kit-building a bit better. It has loads of good pictures and sensible advice. A very worthy investment of $10. Amazon.com: Build the Perfect Survival Kit (0046081009679): John D. McCann: Books

Each author has his own list of categories into which they group the different components of each survival kit (whether it's a tiny Altoids tin PSK or a full blown earthquake kit), read a few articles and choose whichever criteria you like best. They are all pretty similar. I like writing a "plan" for each of my kits, listing each component under the appropiate category, and playing around with them on paper before I set out to get it all together. It helps me see holes in my kit.

Here's a good example of a large earthquake/natural disaster kit my Doug Ritter:
EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm) - Earthquake & Disaster Preparedness Kits

Something that can't be stressed enough is training. Same as with a gun, the best gear won't be worth sh%t if you don't know what you're doing and good training will help you overcome tough situations without the ideal equipment. You can take first aid courses at a lot of places (from very basic ones to more advanced wilderness first responder courses), next time you go camping try using your firesteel or some other technique to light your fire (practicing with wet wood or in the rain is also good). Trying to keep fit is also an important survival tool (the best BOB in the Universe is worthless if you can't carry it!).

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 01-21-2010, 02:52 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

This is what's in my Truck Bag:

Spare socks & underwear
Sweater
Poncho
Hat
Trail bars
Small boxes of Raisins
two bottles of water
Canteen (empty)
Flashlight
Multitool
Knife
First Aid kit
Matches/firestarter
Compass
Paracord
Small Binoculars

And if I ever get out of California, a pistol, mags and ammunition.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-21-2010, 04:36 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Has anyone ever used one of those sillya$$ aluminum foil looking space blankets? I've got a couple, but have never had occaision to even open one up.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:09 AM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Makes a good signaling device! I read somewhere it will hide a thermal signature.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8312 Times on 3593 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Yes, the mylar blankets work. Not the ideal, but better than shivering- and they do a good job of stopping WIND. Everyone will have different contents, different needs, different climates. I look at food, water, shelter, fire, medical, defense, tools, navigation. Have had an AWCRAP kit that could slip in my pocket, and one that fitted in a Kelty Pack. One item to consider- weighs little, not much bulk- but if you ever REALLY need to get thru a locked gate, a couple of hacksaw blades could be worth their weight in uranium.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Hmm, hacksaw blades. Brilliant idea! Thanks for the tip.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams