Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Blazing Saddles!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 01:31 AM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 756 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
My hearing sucks so the only audio improvement that I would care about is if you can turn up the dialogue while turning down the freaking background noise! It annoys me to no end that I can't hear the lines because of all the audio clutter.
do you have a surround sound system?

Old 09-09-2013, 02:27 AM   #62
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7727 Times on 4460 Posts
Likes Given: 9960

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
do you have a surround sound system?
Nope. I am stone deaf in one ear so I cannot hear in stereo. No directional sense of hearing to speak of. That, combined with severe tinnitus and a marginal loss in my good ear makes such an investment pointless.

A few weeks ago I bought a cheap pair of earbuds. I am using them right now, but every time I go to listen to something I have to figure out which bud is playing and then use that one (they don't both play at the same time). Once I figure it out I will cut the other one free and splice that wiring into one mono earbud. Then I have a spare if the one burns out!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:03 AM   #63
Mommy, who lights the sun?

Liked 1671 Times on 1018 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

Quote:
Nope. I am stone deaf in one ear so I cannot hear in stereo. No directional sense of hearing to speak of. That, combined with severe tinnitus and a marginal loss in my good ear makes such an investment pointless.

A few weeks ago I bought a cheap pair of earbuds. I am using them right now, but every time I go to listen to something I have to figure out which bud is playing and then use that one (they don't both play at the same time). Once I figure it out I will cut the other one free and splice that wiring into one mono earbud. Then I have a spare if the one burns out!
Many moons ago, (when the earth was cooling and the Beatles were just a British bar band), stereo reproduction of audio was a new concept. Phono plugs such as those used on ear buds (but usually bigger in size) provided only one (monoaural) channel. You may be able to find an adapter (at Radio Shack, for example) that will convert stereo to mono output. This would combine both sides of the stereo into a single channel shared by both earbuds.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 09-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Many moons ago, (when the earth was cooling and the Beatles were just a British bar band), stereo reproduction of audio was a new concept. Phono plugs such as those used on ear buds (but usually bigger in size) provided only one (monoaural) channel. You may be able to find an adapter (at Radio Shack, for example) that will convert stereo to mono output. This would combine both sides of the stereo into a single channel shared by both earbuds.
I have done that, but I replaced the plug on the end with a mono plug. What I want to do is to only have one earbud and not have the other swinging around.

The thing is that with stereo headphones you get different sounds in each channel (ear). So if I am only listening to one channel I don't get the whole aural experience.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 09-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #65
Mommy, who lights the sun?

Liked 1671 Times on 1018 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

Quote:
I have done that, but I replaced the plug on the end with a mono plug. What I want to do is to only have one earbud and not have the other swinging around.

The thing is that with stereo headphones you get different sounds in each channel (ear). So if I am only listening to one channel I don't get the whole aural experience.
If you replaced the plug with a mono plug, then one of two things should be happening. Either you get the combined sound out of only one bud (unlikely) or you get the same combined sound out of both. At the risk of sounding like a smarta$$, just cut one of them off. The two sides are parallel, not series. It's not like Christmas lights where one goes out and the whole string is off.

If the ones you're trying to fix are real nice ones, buy a cheap set and try it on them. The wiring pattern is the same, just the end connections and the ear buds are better quality in the nicer pair.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 09-10-2013, 02:05 AM   #66
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Or you could just buy this.

http://www.amazon.com/Single-Ear-Stereo-Earphone-rubber-eartips/dp/B006TFBQUI

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 09-10-2013, 02:16 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
If you replaced the plug with a mono plug, then one of two things should be happening. Either you get the combined sound out of only one bud (unlikely) or you get the same combined sound out of both. At the risk of sounding like a smarta$$, just cut one of them off. The two sides are parallel, not series. It's not like Christmas lights where one goes out and the whole string is off.

If the ones you're trying to fix are real nice ones, buy a cheap set and try it on them. The wiring pattern is the same, just the end connections and the ear buds are better quality in the nicer pair.
I did cut one off (Not gonna do the full Van Gogh though) but haven't done anything more. Probably going to just leave it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
I got the ones I cut up from the swap meet for a couple of bucks. Not gonna order them. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote: