Black widow spiders
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Black widow spiders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

Default Black widow spiders

So our A/C is out and I was gonna sleep on the couch tonight where the window unit is,and as I'm pluging up my phone I notice a pretty large spider behind the table beside the couch. I'm a pretty big guy,and not easily scared of small insects or snakes and such but I can see that this spider has large fangs and looks like it would hurt if It bit me so instead of poking at it like I would have in my childhood I scooped it up in a small Tupperware container planing to show everyone just because of the sheer size of it considering I found it inside the house. Anyways I show it to my not so baby sister anymore and her friend and she says it's good that it's not a brown recluse or anything,about that time her friend chimes in and says "yea but it's a black widow,y'all dont see that hourglass on the bottom of it". I then turn it over to see the plain as day red hourglass on the spider I had just been so excited to capture and show off. But anyways here's a picture.

image-1133935751.jpg

That was after my sister banged the Tupperware up against the wall trying to kill it,but the dang spider was easily the size of a nickel with its legs spread out.

So my question is do I need to freak out? It doesn't really bother me,my seem to recall that black widows don't group like brown recuses do... And that there's probably no need to worry since I got this one. Should I spray or anything? And does anyone have any information on these spiders? I know there are a few members who are knowledgable on the subject.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 95 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Very Cool...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrodectus

Old 06-19-2012, 02:12 AM   #3

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I think I read here somewhere that Shihan is the resident entomologist, maybe shoot him a PM...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 06-19-2012, 02:23 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Beware, where there is one, there can be more. I have found as many as 3-4 within a single square foot before. I REALLY hate black widows.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 06-19-2012 at 02:26 AM.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:24 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Black Widow spiders will really mess up your day if one bites you.Like the Brown Recluse,they are very poisonous spiders.And they(Black Widow's) do live very close together,I kill dozens of them everyday around the gas/oil wells that we service.I have killed over 30 of them at just one location in 1 day,and most were within 2-4ft from each other.I've killed many that were the size of a quarter,they can get quite big.

I would definitely spray your house,it's cheaper than the pain and doctor bills from getting bit by one.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:35 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Black Widow spiders will really mess up your day if one bites you.Like the Brown Recluse,they are very poisonous spiders.And they(Black Widow's) do live very close together,I kill dozens of them everyday around the gas/oil wells that we service.I have killed over 30 of them at just one location in 1 day,and most were within 2-4ft from each other.I've killed many that were the size of a quarter,they can get quite big.

I would definitely spray your house,it's cheaper than the pain and doctor bills from getting bit by one.
Damn, that's a lot of spiders.

I looked into it a bit, and even know black widows can be found together, they do not live in a group. If there is an environment that they like, a lot will go to that environment. Spraying round areas that are similar to the place you found that one is a good idea.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:38 AM   #7

Thanks for the replys, I think I dragged it in the house bringing some old sheets in from the storage room outsude earlier to put on the fold out couch. I didn't see a web where I found it and he looked like he was shook up,so I'm willing to bet thats what happened.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:52 AM   #8

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I have been told that Black Widows can jump up to 6' in distance I once entered into a spec house to do a walk through before a closing .... I came across thousands+ of them just in the garage of the house. The ceiling and parts of a wall were a gestating mass of them

get your place sprayed

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 06-19-2012, 03:04 AM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

They can grow to a foot in diameter and like to crawl in bed and spoon. They are known to kill a man just for snoring, so be sure to sleep with a breathe right strip on.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan
They can grow to a foot in diameter and like to crawl in bed and spoon. They are known to kill a man just for snoring, so be sure to sleep with a breathe right strip on.
Thanks! I'll be sure to take extra precautions,looks like the mossbergs sleeping on the couch with me. Good thing I had my tonsils taken out the year before last,i used to snore like a fright train... It's a wonder one of those dinner plate ones didn't get me.

Seriously though,if I rolled over and saw a spider a foot in diameter I wouldn't be able to say the last time I wet the bed I was 7,if I didn't have a heart attack first.