Black powder pistol to CA

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Black powder pistol to CA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Black powder pistol to CA

My uncle wants to mail out my passed grandpa's black powder pistol for my dad as a momento from MICHIGAN to CALIFORNIA. I am heard that CA does not consider a BP gun to be a nonfirearm. And can be shipped directly to me by mail without FFL. can anybody knowledgable let me know straight to the point please!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #2

* heard CA does not consider BP gun to be a firearm.*

Old 11-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

You shouldn't have any problem doing it that way. Ca treats them like bb guns. I bought a black powder revolver here and they can hand them to you with no waiting period. :-)

Old 11-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #4

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyogre View Post
You shouldn't have any problem doing it that way. Ca treats them like bb guns. I bought a black powder revolver here and they can hand them to you with no waiting period. :-)
Wait, you can own a BB gun in Cali? Amazing

Old 11-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Yea but it can only have a ten round mag, otherwise you'd be able to take over an army of squirrels to do your bidding. :-)

Old 11-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8140 Times on 4699 Posts
Likes Given: 10510

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Several years ago I was getting a Roy Rogers edition lever BB gun for my son for Christmas from Sportsman's Guide and they wouldn't ship it to CA! I ended up having it shipped to my sister out of state and had my parents smuggle it into CA. Had to do the same thing a couple of years later for my younger son.

Last summer my wife had the boys at a Big 5 sporting goods store and the boys wanted to look at some rifle and the manager refused to hand the rifle to my wife so she could hand it to our son so he could look at it. He said it was prohibited by CA law! (it is not prohibited in any way). Prior to that incident I had the same guy refuse to "hear" my son tell him which .22 ammo he wanted, I had to repeat what my son said. He then handed the ammo to me, followed us to the register, removed the cashier that was there so that he handled the transaction and refused to accept payment from my son's hands. My son had to take the money out of his pocket, count it out, try to hand it to the manager and he refused to take it saying "I cannot accept payment from a minor." so my son handed the money to me and I handed it to the manager.

Needless to say after the incident with the rifle I called in to the company and complained. I never heard back as to what was done but we no longer shop at Big 5.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #7

Soooo............. It IS okay? Or........lol we kind of got off topic..

Old 11-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8140 Times on 4699 Posts
Likes Given: 10510

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTchad View Post
HA HA! Yes I did, didn't I?

Yes, it is legal to send it directly. Any black powder is not considered a firearm and you do not need to go through an FFL. If it were me I would transport it personally somehow though.

My above experiences were just meant to illustrate how differently the laws in CA are interpreted by different people (or companies).

Old 11-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #9

Hahah thanks vikingdad. I was joking too when I wrote it like that earlier lol! Just thoughtit would be funny hahahaha.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #10

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTchad
Sounds like it is. I think the fed law doesn't recognize BP as a modern fire arm. I'm still wondering if the ten round capacity on the VB gun was a joke out not though.

Here's one for you, in my state I have to have a CCW permit to carry openly. But with BP I don't, as it's not considered a weapon at all under state law (as I understand it) except in regards to hunting. How many were killed with BP during the revolution and civil wars? And as you can see, I'm only counting 2 wars, there were many more all around the world that I ignored in that one question.