Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Black friday mayhem stories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 03:50 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 218 Times on 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

So if your 80-year-old father (or grandfather) gets punched in the face he should just man up and dish it out as good as he gets it?

Last time I checked there was no guarantee that your attacker is going to be equally matched to you, or vice verse. Douchebags usually attack people they think they can take down easily. That is how they roll.
That's up to the individual to decide,and I understand not everyone can defend theirself adequately when presented with a larger,stronger or more skilled opponent. The only thing I'm advocating is that if you are not absolutely in fear that someone is about to take your life or the life of a loved one then you have absolutely no right to take,or threaten to take,theirs. And if you do then you are wrong for it. If I thought someone was going to try and whoop my ass,they probably would never know I even had a gun throughout the whole ordeal,But if I feel they intend to kill me,they won't know I had a gun till they feel the heat off the muzzle blast.

There IS a difference. The defensive handgun is not a tool to teach punks a lesson,its a tool of last resort.

Last edited by Jstrong; 11-24-2012 at 03:56 AM.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:04 AM   #32

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong

That's up to the individual to decide,and I understand not everyone can defend theirself adequately when presented with a larger,stronger or more skilled opponent. The only thing I'm advocating is that if you are not absolutely in fear that someone is about to take your life or the life of a loved one then you have absolutely no right to take,or threaten to take,theirs. And if you do then you are wrong for it. If I thought someone was going to try and whoop my ass,they probably would never know I even had a gun throughout the whole ordeal,But if I feel they intend to kill me,they won't know I had a gun till they feel the heat off the muzzle blast.

There IS a difference. The defensive handgun is not a tool to teach punks a lesson,its a tool of last resort.
I would rather pull it and not use it to not get an @ss kicking than get an @ss kicking or worse (even though we all know if we pull the gun it magically fires and can't just scare off a punk who might be dishing it out to an eighty year old man or women who has a CC for this very reason)

Old 11-24-2012, 04:08 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentialPyro

I would rather pull it and not use it to not get an @ss kicking than get an @ss kicking or worse (even though we all know if we pull the gun it magically fires and can't just scare off a punk who might be dishing it out to an eighty year old man or women who has a CC for this very reason)
In my state that right there ^^^^ is called felony aggravated assault. And is why most instructors tell you not to pull your gun and point it at anybody your not going to shoot.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:13 AM   #34

My whole point is your firearm should not be your first,last,and only response to any dangerous situation when you have other,better options.

If that's your only option... Go ahead,pull it.

If that's your best option,by all means,show it to him.

If its neither,then maybe you shouldn't.

Last edited by Jstrong; 11-24-2012 at 04:16 AM.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:15 AM   #35
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7401 Times on 4276 Posts
Likes Given: 9513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post

Assault and battery never has a fixed outcome. There is no guarantee that you will just get or give a beating and that is all when its all said and done. Take a hit to the head and you may very well be changed for life from that blow even though there is no physical sign of injury. Take a fall and hit your head on the ground and you could be seriously injured from it.

Had that douche in the initial story been stupid enough to continue his assault then the guy who pulled his gun would have been justified in shooting him. How often have you read or heard about a situation where a person pulls a gun and no shots are fired? How often do police pull their guns and shoot someone who is coming at them with no weapon? How often are charges filed?

If you believe that the only defense you can use your CC for is one where the perp is equally armed I pray that you are never presented with a "lesser threat".

Old 11-24-2012, 04:21 AM   #36

Liked 748 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

I'm 55, I figure if someone picks a fight with me..it's not for the macho challange or competition anymore...there out to do damage. They'll get what I can offer if I feel threatened.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:31 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Assault and battery never has a fixed outcome. There is no guarantee that you will just get or give a beating and that is all when its all said and done. Take a hit to the head and you may very well be changed for life from that blow even though there is no physical sign of injury. Take a fall and hit your head on the ground and you could be seriously injured from it.

Had that douche in the initial story been stupid enough to continue his assault then the guy who pulled his gun would have been justified in shooting him. How often have you read or heard about a situation where a person pulls a gun and no shots are fired? How often do police pull their guns and shoot someone who is coming at them with no weapon? How often are charges filed?

If you believe that the only defense you can use your CC for is one where the perp is equally armed I pray that you are never presented with a "lesser threat".
I've been in a few psychical confrontations,and not once did I feel my life was threatened. Why should that change because I have a gun?

If you feel like your life is in danger,then you have every right to defend yourself. But if I don't feel like my life or long term health is in danger,I'm not going to shoot anybody,or even bring my gun into the equation. I'm not saying someone has to show me a gun before I show them mine. What I am saying is someone has to show INTENT TO KILL ME,before I try to do the same to them. Most states have laws like these that say not only does someone have to show Intent,but also Ability, and you MUST be in Jeopardy. Without these three things your defense of self- defense is not valid.

You must prove to a jury that Intent,Ability,and Jeopardy,were present in order to have a defense. If you think you can convince 12 people that Dave the douche Intended to kill you because he engaged you in a fistfight,and had the Ability to do so because some drunk three states over died from a hit to the head 9 years ago in a fight, and that you were honestly in fear for your life because some guy hit you outside a Macy's then go right ahead and pull your gun. Even if you don't shoot him you have to go through the same deal in most states to keep a felony assault charge off your record.

the handgun is not the solution to any and all domestic disputes.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:37 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82
I'm 55, I figure if someone picks a fight with me..it's not for the macho challange or competition anymore...there out to do damage. They'll get what I can offer if I feel threatened.
If you no longer can adequately defend yourself from an attacker who means to do you harm,serious or not. Then the handgun may be your best/only option,and I would agree with you employing it. I'm simply speaking for myself,and what I believe is the correct use of the defensive handgun,if I feel I have a better option to use for the situation I'm in,then I would use that instead. It's all subject to the individual.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #39

Liked 748 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
It's all subject to the individual.
...and circumstances.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #40

Liked 3678 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Dude! I'm seriously concerned! I hope Gecko45 got those plate carriers and plates!

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...