Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Black Bears moving into piedmont NC! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/black-bears-moving-into-piedmont-nc-92678/)

amandaloveszoe 06-22-2013 03:05 PM

Black Bears moving into piedmont NC!
 
So we have been having several sighting all around us lately and i have a question for ya. I walk my dog every day in pretty dense woods, ya have any tips if i was to run up on one? My dog is pretty aggressive and would def try to get to it i am afraid, but i dont wanna stop my walking?

mtnbadger 06-22-2013 03:14 PM

All the bears I've seen in western nc just run away whenever you get close. I was squirrel hunting one time with my dad and his cousin and we stumbled upon 3 black bear cubs under a fallen tree, luckily momma must not have been nearby. I've also had a bear jump out of a tree and run away when I was about to shoot a squirrel. Sadly you can only carry a 22 pistol here when it's not big game season so that's kind of out of the question if you're in a national forest.

MisterMcCool 06-22-2013 03:35 PM

Orangello is running them out of Mississippi.

amandaloveszoe 06-22-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnbadger
All the bears I've seen in western nc just run away whenever you get close. I was squirrel hunting one time with my dad and his cousin and we stumbled upon 3 black bear cubs under a fallen tree, luckily momma must not have been nearby. I've also had a bear jump out of a tree and run away when I was about to shoot a squirrel. Sadly you can only carry a 22 pistol here when it's not big game season so that's kind of out of the question if you're in a national forest.

I will be in our woods in the country. I carry my 380 with me but that would just piss em off , I can carry our 1911 if i have to. Thinking about getting some bear spray i have read good things about it. I am sure you are right and they will just run away. Hardest thing will be trying to keep my pitt from going nuts!

johnr1943 06-22-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amandaloveszoe (Post 1283373)
So we have been having several sighting all around us lately and i have a question for ya. I walk my dog every day in pretty dense woods, ya have any tips if i was to run up on one? My dog is pretty aggressive and would def try to get to it i am afraid, but i dont wanna stop my walking?

Black bears are generally non-aggressive by nature (unless you get between a mom and cub) and turn tail and run. I think you (IMO) are becoming overly concerned for naught. And by the way, I've been shooting over 55 years and STILL review the law and situations concerning CCW. I still don't "know it all" and I'm sure you would not say you do either. Review anyway.

amandaloveszoe 06-23-2013 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnr1943

Black bears are generally non-aggressive by nature (unless you get between a mom and cub) and turn tail and run. I think you (IMO) are becoming overly concerned for naught. And by the way, I've been shooting over 55 years and STILL review the law and situations concerning CCW. I still don't "know it all" and I'm sure you would not say you do either. Review anyway.

U gonna tell me that in every thread i write?? If i say ok thanks will that do it?

MattShlock 06-23-2013 01:48 AM

Black Bear are actually more oddly, indiscriminantly, aggressive than Brown.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:10 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.