Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > biggest ******* you've met at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 05:26 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would have to say it was....ME!! After 4 years of small arms practice from the fantail (metal deck and overhead), 30 years of maintaining Huge commercial diesel engines and working around jet aircraft, my hearing isn't quite up to par.

At the range (self policed) the only other shooter and myself were throwing lead down range. He had a .308 M14, me my Mini-14. He finnished his clip at about the same time I did and shouted across about ten feet "Down Range!" I heard something else, waved and threw another clip into the rifle and began blasting at my target. He was POed and thumped me on the shoulder to get my attention. We discussed the issue after calming down and he went off muttering something about "Deaf assed old fart" and we continued to shoot. This time I made eye contact after finishing every clip.

Never happened again.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:59 AM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7611 Times on 3315 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

Well, 2 outdoor ranges- One is a members only that I belong to, and one is a public Game and Fisheries (unattended) range- which is MUCH closer to the house. Range is RIFLE ONLY (posted in real big letters)

Had been working on some .308 handloads for a Winchester 100, wanted to try a couple of 5 shot strings to see how they were holding up- went to the public range due to time constraints.

On arrival, found shooter at point one was firing a 9mm auto, using the "Gangsta" grip- and hitting the roof overhang. 2 shooters at point 8 were using a 22 rifle to shoot at a cardboard box- placed at 90 degrees to the firing line. Over that way about 200 meters is the shotgun range.

Walked back to the truck, put rifle and range box in truck, picked up cell phone, called the Game Warden (their range) explained what was going on. Waited. Game warden rolled up in about 10 minutes- and in about 3 minutes sorted out the shooters in a very forthright manner (think possible he was former Marine DI)

Idiots are causing places to shoot to evaporate every day.

The "Members and Guests" range? Polite, well mannered shooters- young, old, long hair, short hair (or like me- no hair)

Old 03-11-2009, 03:11 AM   #23

Liked 10 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, 2 outdoor ranges- One is a members only that I belong to, and one is a public Game and Fisheries (unattended) range- which is MUCH closer to the house. Range is RIFLE ONLY (posted in real big letters)

Had been working on some .308 handloads for a Winchester 100, wanted to try a couple of 5 shot strings to see how they were holding up- went to the public range due to time constraints.

On arrival, found shooter at point one was firing a 9mm auto, using the "Gangsta" grip- and hitting the roof overhang. 2 shooters at point 8 were using a 22 rifle to shoot at a cardboard box- placed at 90 degrees to the firing line. Over that way about 200 meters is the shotgun range.

Walked back to the truck, put rifle and range box in truck, picked up cell phone, called the Game Warden (their range) explained what was going on. Waited. Game warden rolled up in about 10 minutes- and in about 3 minutes sorted out the shooters in a very forthright manner (think possible he was former Marine DI)

Idiots are causing places to shoot to evaporate every day.

The "Members and Guests" range? Polite, well mannered shooters- young, old, long hair, short hair (or like me- no hair)
lol the gangster grip thing
i ran into a guy i work with at the range (didn't even know he had a gun)
he had a s&w sigma and his thumbs were overlapped behind the slide. i still dont know how he avoided tearing his thumb to pieces before someone was nice enough to show him the proper way to shoot.

a split second of man made perfection dialogue, speed, and direction.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:12 AM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7611 Times on 3315 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

OUCH ! Saw a guy do that once with a Browning Hi-Power. Left twin grooves in his thumb!

Old 03-12-2009, 03:04 AM   #25

Default biggest cry baby at the shooting range

Last year at the shooting range, my dad was shooting his AK-47 pistol and there were a couple of guys next to us complaining that there AR scopes were messed up and a piece of AK brass flew over and barely hit one of them across the cheek and he looked like he was about to cry. after that they left.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:05 AM   #26

Default Brass air fittingshttp://www.liangdianup.com/index.htm

Now that is a lot of brass air fittings there is just about every type
of air fitting that you could want. Wholesale prices too. I guess these could be used as small water pipe fitting also. I
used some of the parts to make my babington wvo buraue

Old 03-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I do most of my shooting at a private indoor range, it's never crowded and there are a couple of instructors close by who keep things working smoothly.

So far all the people I've met there were quite nice. We just try to apply a bit of common sense, for example I try not to do my rapid fire practice with a .357 next to a guy who's training for a long range rimfire tournament. There are two separate, isolated, handgun ranges so there's enough space.

Something that's worked wonders on range etiquette at my club is getting the members involved in lots of short informal tournaments, the rules are less rigid than proper competitions but they are a great way to make sure everybody understands basic safety rules. Plus the members get to know one another better.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:26 AM   #28

i quit going to ranges about 3 years ago. to many city slickers to deal with. I have 4 acres and its deep. so now im in the process of building a back stop and im going to bring in 16yrds of sand in and do all my shooting at home.......... The only guys i realy dislikes are the ones that say "my guns better than yours" then i ask "can u shoot it"

Old 03-13-2009, 01:53 AM   #29
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp1987 View Post
lol
I wish your son and i could go shooting together.
Your welcome anytime, my son is doing a TOD and will be back in Augaust.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:43 AM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I wish I could remember?

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

As Far as Bad experinces at a Public range, I wish I could remember who and where I saw a Great post was? It was someone who described the Typical Folks he always had his Bad Experiences with?

1. The Guy with the AK, SKS, AR or other Militry style weapon that had to dump 4 Million rounds inthe first 4 seconds of range ready?

2. Skanky Girl friend, who is always dressed inapropratly for the weater, i.E. Too many, or too few Clothes? Never Brings any water or a chair, and starts to complain after 2 munutes of being there?

3. Old Guy with the Black Powder Rifle Unknown Caliber or type but always wants to shoot at the pistol Targets and can't understand why others are upset?

4. Pack of fools with what ever assorted K-Mart Bolt action weapon and a cheap 22 scope on it? Can't get it to "site in", then ya notice the Duct tape Holding the mounts on?

5. Gunshop Commando, never shoots a lot, but always in BDU's and wears a Low slung Pistol of some sort, always know it all, but never shoots enough to call his bluff? He's always there before you?

6. The One that takes the cake, a Guy shows up with a 50 caliber Hawkins, and sets up 1 lane over, has no possibles bag (No Big Deal, no need at a range). He proceeds to pull a 1 pound can of red Dupot black powder, 4FG, No Measure, no capper, and a Crown Royal Bag? He dumps it out, you discover in Horror, he has a handfull of FMJ 45ACP Bullets that have been shot, a plile of used 45 cleaning patches? He seats a cap on the nipple and places the Hawken at 1/2 cock? The Pours like 1/2 the Dupont 4FG Gun Powder into the hawken, and Proceeds to Wrap a few fired 45 patches around a 45 slug and ram it into the bore? The range master is called, he walks over bans the man from the range he storms off, (failing to uload the weapon and with the hammer still at 1/2 cock, tosses the rifle into the back bed of his pick up truck, burns off slingging gravel all over your car? You know the type? Sure thier is more?

RON

Last edited by RONSERESURPLUS; 10-25-2010 at 03:50 AM.