Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   biggest ******* you've met at the range (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/biggest-youve-met-range-11642/)

dcp1987 03-07-2009 11:26 PM

biggest ******* you've met at the range

tell your experience with *******s at gun ranges.

ok first off since im new heres some info on my appearance.
im 21 but could pass for 18
im about 5ft8in
i weigh about 147
i have a lip ring and few tattoos
and yes this is relevant
well here's the story
I was at the gun range shooting my 1911. one range over there was a older guy who was shooting a 22 by the look of his target he didn't seem to shoot much. Further down the range there was a guy with a big gun im not sure what it was but it was bigger than a 45. Well this gun range is a small indoor setup and the back stop needs to be cleaned out or replaced because occasionally larger rounds will cause lead to come back up range and this was occuring that day with the guy firing the big gun. Well the guy with the 22 was next to me and heard the big boom coming from the skinny 18 year old looking guy. He then walks up to my dad and basicly tells him that he shouldn't let me shoot that gun cause i can't handle it and im hitting the metal target holder and causing lead to come back up range. Now im not an amazing shooter but i have never hit the metal target holders and i have never had a problem with the recoil of guns (i think 44 mags are the funnest guns to shoot). soo my dad tell the guy to watch me shoot cause he really doesn't think that his son is missing his shots that bad so the guy watches and sees it isn't me then i turn around and walk off the firing line and he gets hit with a piece of lead.
anyway it just pissed me off that because of my appearance this guy assumed i was a horrible shooter.
soo whats your story?
and sorry for the wall of text

orangello 03-07-2009 11:29 PM

That is why i usually practice on private land, preferably in clay-lined oil well pits. I wear a lot of tie-dye.

skullcrusher 03-07-2009 11:49 PM

I used to have long hair and wear it in a ponytail sometimes. I used to wear tie-dyes and ripped up old jeans. I used to also wear dangly earring (1-left ear pierced only). Black leather jackets, too.

Still, 1st impressions are difficult to get past. That guy may have pissed you off, but safety is #1 when it comes to guns. Maybe next time, he will approach the situation differently. Don't take it personally, you have taught him a lesson. Good for you by not living up to your appearance and self expression.

Hell, the fact that your father will go out in public with you says a ton. :D

SGT-MILLER 03-08-2009 12:19 AM

The only jerks I run into at my range are the ones that have to bother my shooting to tell me that their gun is superior and I should get what they have.

They make me want to serve them a nice steaming cup of "shut the ^&*% up!!!!"

Shotgun Shooter 03-08-2009 12:28 AM

Whats a range? :)

I'll stick to shooting where its free in price and free of morons. I like to call it my backyard.

S.S.

skullcrusher 03-08-2009 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter (Post 79484)
Whats a range? :)

I'll stick to shooting where its free in price and free of morons. I like to call it my backyard.

S.S.

Amen to that, S.S.! :)

dcp1987 03-08-2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 79466)
I used to have long hair and wear it in a ponytail sometimes. I used to wear tie-dyes and ripped up old jeans. I used to also wear dangly earring (1-left ear pierced only). Black leather jackets, too.

Still, 1st impressions are difficult to get past. That guy may have pissed you off, but safety is #1 when it comes to guns. Maybe next time, he will approach the situation differently. Don't take it personally, you have taught him a lesson. Good for you by not living up to your appearance and self expression.

Hell, the fact that your father will go out in public with you says a ton. :D

lol
trust me my dad is in no way a fan of my piercing and tattoos.

dnthmn2004 03-08-2009 12:44 AM

I belong to a small range and have been fortunate enough to be the only person there when I go. Lucky me:cool:

cpttango30 03-08-2009 05:29 AM

The only Aholes I ever ran into were at a small indoor range in my area. There was 4 people 3 guys and one gal all in their mid to late 30's. They had rented a full auto Mp5 and were spraying and praying shooting the floor roof and everything in between.

I normally don't care what others are doing but when I am shooting at 25 yards and you are shooting full auto at 5 and not hitting your target and hitting mine it tends to piss me the hell off. After that I packed my stuff up and walked out. Told them on the way out what was going on and the guy behind the counter just shrugged and said oh well. OH EFFING well you douch bag the SOB's were shooting all over the place and are a danger to anyone within 2 miles of this place. After that I have never been back after that.

The place I shoot at now is starting to piss me off as well. We are rebuilding the rifle range and instead of listing to me the head of the rifle range they are going off and building some goofy azz shooting benches that you can't shoot off of. It is a 4x4" square with a semicircle cut out of it. Why can't people just listen to someone who has been using and building shooting benches for a long time.

I wish I had private land to shoot on but not everyone is so blessed. Back home I hd 12,000 acres to shoot and hunt that was all private.

WDB 03-08-2009 05:37 AM

Your post makes me smile. My son is 22 and a Marine. He has more tats than I want to know about and before doing his reup had lots of metal in his face as well. He is co owner of a local tat and pierce shop. While it's not something I'm into he makes a good living from the business and truly enjoys the work.

Anyhow before my son deployed for his 4th active TOD a person shooting next to him came over and tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I would trade places with my son. We stepped off the range so I could hear him (it is an indoor range so stepping off puts you into the lobby where you don't hear the the noise on the range). I asked him again what was his issue, he said he didn't feel comfrontable shooting next to my son as he puts a lot of rounds down range in a short time. I again asked him to explain the problem and he said "I don't want to be rude but look at him" (my son is 6'-5", in prime shape with a lot of ink). I explained that was rude and told him that my son is a US Marine, so look at him again his rounds are on target, he didn't tap me on the shoulder and point out your poor shooting skill. I went back on the line and pulled my son out and had him introduce himself to this person. After we got that straight I decided to make it right and got some fresh targets and asked this person to shoot next to my son on my coin. When it was done the difference was easy to see. I walked the person off the range and had his walk on fee be refunded. The person appoligized and I accepted. The range wouldn't let me pay for the the guy and my son only question was why I kept walking off the range. I told my son that lunch didn't set well so I had to go to the restroom. He knew it was more than that and asked if the guy shooting next to him had the same problem. I told him his problem was even worse but he worked it out. No more to be expressed between anyone involved.

By the way I shoot well and some times I do hit the metal target holder