Big Brother watching? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Big Brother watching?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

cnorman18,

Whats your take on traffic cameras at intersections and freeways to catch speeders, and or red light violaters? These are placed for the generation of revenue, and plenty of it. One stretch of freeway in Scottsdale, Arizona netted that city over $140,000.00 in a one month period. It's been reported that accidents have actually increased at some of the red light camera intersections because of drivers slamming on their brakes at the last second causing a large increase in rear end collisions. They talk "Safety", but the reality is it has become quite a cash cow for some of these municipalities. Especially when you factor in they are constructed and maintained by private companies who in turn take a cut of the "profits". Much like the same racket these "Driving schools" have become. You can now even take "Traffic School" on line. Where does this end? Cameras at every intersection? Paranoid drivers? Bill T.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:37 PM   #42

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default I think I'm entitled to an opinion on that...

Since I've been nailed by red-light cameras twice in the last couple of months, and am out $75 per (and $150 for the next one), I think I can speak to that.

It's a good thing. Here in Dallas, red-light runners had gotten so bad that the public was demanding that something be done. Crashes were frequent, and many were fatal. I've seen two crashes myself, and have narrowly avoided being hit any number of times. We were ALREADY paranoid--when the light turned green, nobody moved till we were sure some bozo wasn't about to come barreling through the intersection.

Since the camera came in, it's gotten better. Much better. Revenue, schmevenue--people were getting killed. Rear-end fender-benders? Maybe a few. So what? People will learn--are already learning--to be more careful about red lights, and in the meantime, fewer people are dying.

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 10-06-2007, 01:48 PM   #43

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Nail 'em!

It's a good thing. Here in Dallas, red-light runners had gotten so bad that the public was demanding that something be done. Crashes were frequent, and many were fatal. I've seen two crashes myself, and have narrowly avoided being hit any number of times. We were ALREADY paranoid; when the light turned green, nobody moved till we were sure some bozo wasn't about to come barreling through the intersection at high speed. I was seeing it literally every day in my neighborhood, around the Galleria.

Since the camera came in, it's gotten better. Much better. Revenue, schmevenue--people were getting killed. Rear-end fender-benders? Maybe a few. So what? People will learn--are already learning--to be more careful about red lights, and in the meantime, fewer people are dying.

Red-light cameras save lives, and that's no BS. I say bring 'em on, and if someone's making money, let 'em. They're earning it as far as I'm concerned.

For the record, I got nailed by a red-light camera myself last month. $75. If you'd have asked me before I got the letter, I'd have said I'd never done it; I probably thought I was getting the end of the yellow. Now I know better than to try for that. Never again.

So / was a bozo too. Now I'm not. A good thing.

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 10-06-2007, 10:15 PM   #44

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorman18 View Post
Since the camera came in, it's gotten better. Much better. Revenue, schmevenue--people were getting killed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/03/AR2005100301844.html

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1844.asp

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/04/430.asp

http://www.drivers.com/article/619/

http://www.explodingcigar.com/article1678.html

Last edited by billt; 10-06-2007 at 10:25 PM.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #45

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And what if you wanted to build a house and the government said that you have to put cameras in the house that are tied to the local police and monitored?
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/harford/bal-ha.camera07oct07,0,1394895.story

Synopsis- New law passed in US city that allows the police to require cameras, linked to their office, to be installed in new developements. The law does not sepcify whether the cameras are to indoor or outdoor or it will be decided what buildings get them.

Quote:
City passes camera law
Aberdeen agencies may now require surveillance devices in developments

By Madison Park | Sun Reporter
October 7, 2007

Hoping to deter crime by expanding the use of surveillance cameras, Aberdeen passed a measure that empowers the city government and police to require cameras in new developments.

The Police Department, the Department of Planning and Community Development, and the Department of Public Works will decide whether a new residential, commercial or industrial development must install cameras at "strategic locations" before a development permit is issued.

The City Council passed the measure, which becomes effective next week, by a 4-1 vote.

The ordinance
Aberdeen Ordinance No. 731-06: Surveillance Cameras:

Provisions for security cameras shall be installed at strategic locations in all commercial and industrial developments and in any residential developments deemed appropriate by the Aberdeen Police Department and Department of Planning and Community Development. Coordination between the Aberdeen Police Department, Department of Public Works and the property owner will be required prior to the approval of any development permits.

Cameras installed at new developments will be connected to a watch room at the police station, Mayor S. Fred Simmons said.

Simmons said the police chief will work with the other departments to study the feasibility of installation and check whether a camera is "wanted and necessary" at new developments.

But the ordinance does not spell out guidelines for determining whether a new development will be required to have cameras, which concerned the lone dissenter on the council vote, Ruth Elliott.

"We have no internal procedures or policies on this," Elliott said. "It is vague, and you can read in between the lines."

Though crime is decreasing in Aberdeen, the city is seeking to prevent crime by expanding the camera program, Simmons said. The city installed cameras this year at two troubled intersections: one on Edmund and Washington streets and the other on East Bel Air and Aberdeen avenues.

The cameras can zoom in, rotate 360 degrees, and are monitored from the city's police station. Footage from the cameras has been used to prosecute drug cases.

"The cameras are going to see what the police officers are going to see," Simmons said. "It's another set of eyes. That's all."

Surveillance cameras are a familiar sight in larger cities such as New York and Chicago. In Baltimore, a network of about 400 surveillance cameras is in use. And smaller Maryland towns, including Preston and Ridgely in Caroline County, use surveillance cameras. The Harford County Sheriff's Office has been looking into bringing cameras to Edgewood.

Law enforcement officials have credited the cameras with providing information about suspects such as descriptions and license plate numbers.

Simmons said he is interested in expanding the camera program in Aberdeen to monitor traffic on U.S. 40, using cameras that can read license plate numbers and run them through a computer database to check whether a car is stolen or the registration is expired.

"You can't go to a supermarket, the ATM, or a drugstore without being camera'ed," Simmons said. "They're all camera'ed. ... Look up and there's three or four white cameras capturing everything on the state highway. We live in that age."

Elliott voiced discomfort with that notion.

"I don't care to have cameras everywhere in the city," the councilwoman said. "I'm supportive of having cameras in areas where there are problems."

Elliott said the ordinance doesn't protect average residents.

"Whatever that's caught on camera, that may not be of a criminal aspect, just a personal thing could be used depending on who is looking at those tapes," she said. "That info could be released to the wrong people - that's why we need tighter procedures and policies."

Elliott expressed concern that the two-sentence ordinance gives broad authority to the city without laying out parameters about how the city will determine whether a development should have cameras.

But Simmons said, "The reason why it's left open is that the whole landscape changes all the time."

Melissa Ngo, senior counsel of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, also questioned an ordinance that lacked guidelines on determining where cameras would be required.

"How are they going to decide?" said Ngo, whose Washington-based organization studies civil liberty and privacy issues. "If this is going to be low-income development, are they going to watch over the poor people? If this is going to be fancy condos, are they going to decide that they don't need to look over those people?"

Old 10-10-2007, 12:53 AM   #46

I am truely not concerned if they are watching me. There
would have to be a sizable force to watch everyone. Who is
watching the watchers? Of late, lost people out west have been
found and saved via cell phone hits. If a camera catches me
doing wrong, I do not expect to be upset over the ticket. Some
of this stuff imparts awareness to do the right thing. Do I like
being told to wear a helmet riding my Harley or snapping on seat
belts? Hell no, but I would hate to pay the ticket or most likely
might not comply. Worry more about moral laws that leave our
boarders open, illegal persons, and foreign commerace trucks all
over our highways. Throw in some terrorists and I'm sure I wouldn't
be worth consideration for wrong doing if I'm not in some data bank.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #47

hi i always watch big brother and its a nice reality show..well im here right now in the philippines coz im studying here in a filmschool, hope that i could pass all my test here heheheh...and i love making indie films....well here in the philippines they also have a Pinoy Big Brother just like the one i saw there in US before...
here in International Academy Of Film and Television all the student here talk about that reality show some are good some are not but all in all we enjoy watching it..hehehehehe..

Old 04-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #48
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjutz28 View Post
hi i always watch big brother and its a nice reality show..well im here right now in the philippines coz im studying here in a filmschool, hope that i could pass all my test here heheheh...and i love making indie films....well here in the philippines they also have a Pinoy Big Brother just like the one i saw there in US before...
here in International Academy Of Film and Television all the student here talk about that reality show some are good some are not but all in all we enjoy watching it..hehehehehe..

1984. George Orwell. Read it. Then, maybe this thread will make more sense to you.