Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Big Bang Theory of Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Big Bang Theory of Gaming

I've done my fair share of random dabbling, and can't say I'm any kind of experienced gamer by any means...but I thought this article was pretty funny.

And kinda accurate if you've ever tried to initiate a non-gamer into the fold

Big bang theory: the problem with video games

CHARLIE BROOKER

December 28, 2009 - 10:11AM

Despite huge sales and rapid evolution, many non-players still struggle to grasp the point of video games.

Try as they might, video games still don't seem to really register in the mainstream "old media". Newspapers and television still largely report on the gaming world as though it is something mildly amusing that happens overseas. Statistics about how many billions the industry is worth or how many billion players there are worldwide tend to be recited with an air of amused disbelief. It's almost as if video games exist only in the imagination of a few friendless dreamers.

It's not just wilful ignorance on the part of rusty old media. It's hard to make games interesting in print or on TV, especially to non-players. Compared with other popular art forms, there aren't many "personalities" in games; no George Clooneys to interview or Britneys to pap. What's more, when addressing a casual audience, it's incredibly hard to describe what a game actually consists of. Most people don't speak the lingo. Everyone understands terms such as rom-com or thriller, but mention first-person shooters or MMORPGs and you might as well be speaking Gaelic. And when it comes to explaining even rudimentary game mechanics - well, that's like trying to recount an abstract dream you once experienced.

End result: for all the talk of just how many trillion units Modern Warfare 2 has shifted, games strike about half the population as utterly inaccessible. This is a peculiar situation for a mass-market industry.

It's partly an image thing. The lack of mainstream coverage means an exasperating number of non-gamers persist in the assumption that all video games consist of either laser beams and bleeping noises or unrelenting graphic violence. But it's also because, to the layman, many games are still off-puttingly complex. This can be frustrating for seasoned gamers, who just want to spread the love. Take Grand Theft Auto IV. It's amazing; one of the most impressive satirical works of the 21st century (I'm not exaggerating). If you're a gamer, you'll naturally want others to share the experience. So you try to introduce the game to your flatmate, your girlfriend, your boyfriend. But they're wary and intimidated. From their perspective, even the joypad is daunting. To you it's as warm and familiar as a third hand. To them it's the control panel for an alien helicopter.

But you persevere, press the pad into their unenthusiastic hands and offer to talk them through a few minutes of play. And almost immediately you have to bite your tongue to avoid screaming. They run into walls or hit pause by mistake. They swing the camera around until they can see nothing but their own feet, then forward-roll under a truck. They try to put the controller down, complaining that they're "no good at this". You force them to have another go but within minutes you're behaving like a bad backseat driver.

"You're in crouch mode," you sigh, as their character waddles comically up the street. "Take it out of crouch mode." Instead, they throw a grenade at their own feet, killing themselves and several bystanders. They moan that it's too hard. You force them to try again.

Their character respawns. They run against a nearby door and jab at the buttons. "You can't open that door," you offer helpfully. "Why not?" they ask. "I opened another one a minute ago." "That one's just scenery," you sigh. "How do you know?" they say, jabbing all the buttons again. "It just is. Stop it." "Maybe it'll open in a moment," they suggest, jabbing. "It won't."

But they stay there, running against the door. And then, apparently just to annoy you, they start spinning the camera round and round and in and out, going "wheeee!" as they do so. And then they blow themselves up with another grenade, say they can't see the appeal, drop the controller and leave you sitting there alone, impotent and furious.

Veteran players have years of experience. We're schooled in the way games work. It's as if we have learned a new man-made language, like Esperanto. And games are the equivalent of Esperanto-language movies - except they're better than movies. They're engrossing and exciting, playful and challenging, constantly evolving, constantly surprising. They're interactive and, thanks to the rise of modern multiplayer, infinitely more social than television. But because they're in Esperanto, it's hard for non-speakers to appreciate them.

If you don't play games, you're not just missing out, you're ignoring the most rapidly evolving creative medium in history.

Big bang theory: the problem with video games

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I am sorry, but I am one of those not-a-gamer people. I admit that I just do not get it.

If it is nice outside, I'd rather be out there doing something real. If it is cold, wet or just nasty outside then, I'd rather read a good book, or maybe interact with some real people.

I still don't get it, and probably never will.

TXnorton

Old 12-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

i like them i just suck at them

Old 12-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
I am sorry, but I am one of those not-a-gamer people. I admit that I just do not get it.

If it is nice outside, I'd rather be out there doing something real. If it is cold, wet or just nasty outside then, I'd rather read a good book, or maybe interact with some real people.

I still don't get it, and probably never will.
I'm with you. I"ve played a few for a few minutes and I was done. The only time I have ever had fun with video games is when there is a group of people playing something like guitar hero or something. It was the same as playing a board game or cards with friends for me.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I'm with you. I"ve played a few for a few minutes and I was done. The only time I have ever had fun with video games is when there is a group of people playing something like guitar hero or something. It was the same as playing a board game or cards with friends for me.
+1 Only time I play any games and actually enjoy it is on rainy days playing them with my kids. Too bad though they kick my tail every time.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

they are fun to play. just lets you escape reality for a while. I dont play for very long before either getting frustrated and or tired of sitting in front of the TV. an hour at most and im done.

I do not understand however, how people can sit in front of the TV all day long playing games.

There is a guy I work with who has played so many games that they have warped his mind. he called me friday morning to wish me merry christmas and tell me he got modern warfare 2 and when I got on later to play for a while. he was near the end of the game already.

THis has also interacted with his hunting habits, He bought a shotgun and have been looking for a rifle to hunt with, and most of the time when he talks about hunting, it always comes out something along the lines of "id buy that gun if I knew it would blow the deer away"

I used to think it was crazy that people could blame video games being the cause some guy goes and shoots up his school. but after working with this guy for 2 years. I believe fully now that video games if played enough can take over a persons mind and that can very well lead to negative things.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I last maybe 15 to 20 minutes then I start getting the shakes from not being on FTF. I then have to drop everything and run to the computer to get my fix.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

About the only video games I ever enjoyed were the role playing types that required some logic and creative thought to play. I was watching my son play Modern Warfare 2 over the holidays and while I was impressed with the graphics, I just got dizzy from the "tunnel vision" perspective...

Old 12-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

HAHA FTF addict.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #10

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I play a lot of call of duty modern warfare 2, but thats the only game. Also, I only play for about an hour at a time and never choose it over the chance to go play b ball or another fun sport, however, they are fun but it takes patience and a lot of practice to learn, kind opf like learning to properly handle a firearm. So we should all find a gamer and teach them o properly handle a firearm and let them teach us to play video games. Education for all

we're Americans and we pray for peace, and if we can't have peace we find and destroy the people who screwed up the damn peace. So we can have some peace. - Christopher Titus