You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Big Bang Theory

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2104 Times on 1021 Posts
Likes Given: 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
I've never seen that show , don't watch much TV but it sounds funny

It’s a good show, but you have to watch it long enough to learn the personalities of the characters to really get the best out of the show. It pokes fun at a whole spectrum of stuff. Research Grants for universities, the immaturity and pettiness of College administrators and professors, the difficulty “brilliant” people have in fitting in with “normal” people. Penny is the only “normal” one in the show. Sheldon is the most eccentric.

ellis

Old 05-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #42

Liked 593 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have always thought they should restest high school graduates at 36 years old. On the theory they had as much time to use what they learned as it took them to learn it, and the things they failed at would be the things they never needed, and forgot.

I actually used algebra in electronics tech school. by the time we reached the limits of my knowledge all of the students that would fail because they could not do the math were gone. After that, we never did math again. I concluded that the math was a filter to reduce the number of potential graduates.

I used trig when I was learning how to program computers and fly airplanes. I wrote a program to calculate a vector when dealing with crosswinds. never used trig again.

I have never seen a quadratic equation in the real world, never known anyone who ever worked one out of math class, and would not recognize one if I saw it running around. Still waiting for an explanation for why that was necessary.

Quote:
the difficulty “brilliant” people have in fitting in with “normal” people.
I worked at a NASA tracking station for 15 years. Imagine 32 brilliant but decidedly weird people in one building. Interesting people, interesting parking lot, bizarre fashion sense, incomprehensible senses of humor.

Last edited by microadventure; 05-27-2017 at 12:21 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 13539 Times on 6968 Posts
Likes Given: 13065

I used algebra and trig in accident investigation. Would have been damn handy to know more about physics as well.

Used both in avionics in the Air Force.

Mathematics is the language if science. If you don't "speak" math, you'll never understand science,

Now that I'm retired, I would love to be able to understand more about science, but I don;t "speak" enough of the language.

Try to understand quantum mechanics sometime, or even aerodymanics if you can't understand the math.

GOD BLESS PRESIDENT TRUMP

Old 05-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2104 Times on 1021 Posts
Likes Given: 1511

Quote:
I have never seen a quadratic equation in the real world, never known anyone who ever worked one out of math class, and would not recognize one if I saw it running around. Still waiting for an explanation for why that was necessary.
It’s early exercise and training for the mind. Helps with clarity of thinking and logical thought-processing throughout life.

ellis
locutus Likes This 
Old 05-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #45

Liked 593 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
It’s early exercise and training for the mind. Helps with clarity of thinking and logical thought-processing throughout life.
this statement was falsified by the recent election and subsequent behavior, or they stopped teaching it.
ellis36 Likes This 
Old 05-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 13539 Times on 6968 Posts
Likes Given: 13065

Quote:
Originally Posted by microadventure View Post
this statement was falsified by the recent election and subsequent behavior, or they stopped teaching it.
No, that was PROVEN when Hitler-ee lost!

GOD BLESS PRESIDENT TRUMP

Old Today, 03:32 AM   #47
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6872 Times on 3839 Posts
Likes Given: 5373

Quote:
Originally Posted by microadventure View Post
I used it to determine the relationship between total pressure and static pressure in a compressible flow pipeline...

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Generalizations are (almost) always bad.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/10th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-13-14-15-2017-a-123120/#post1850960