Bhp?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Bhp?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default Bhp?

I was watching Top Ten Infantry Fighting Vehicles on the Military Channel a couple weeks back and they were using a term that I've never heard of. Maybe some of you Jeep guys could answer it. When they got to the German half-track of WWII, they used the term "Brake" (or break) horsepower, BHP. They didn't use the term to describe the horsepower of all WWII vehicles and in fact didn't use it to describe more than two German WWII vehicles.

What does BHP mean?

I know this is a gun forum but IFVs have guns too.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

break horse power

Old 03-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #3

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Brake horsepower

Brake horsepower (abbreviated bhp) is the measure of an engine's horsepower without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, generator, differential, water pump, and other auxiliary components such as alternator, power steering pump, muffled exhaust system, etc. "Brake" refers to a device which was used to load an engine and hold it at a desired RPM. During testing, the output torque and rotational speed were measured to determine the "brake horsepower". Horsepower was originally measured and calculated by use of the indicator (a James Watt invention of the late 18th century), and later by means of a De Prony brake connected to the engine's output shaft. More recently, an engine dynamometer is used instead of a De Prony brake. The output delivered to the driving wheels is less than that obtainable at the engine's crankshaft

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 03-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9407 Times on 4054 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Agree- was probably Brake Horsepower. However, there WAS an infrequently used British Horsepower. You may also encounter SAE Horsepower, Boiler Horsepower (steam boiler) and Shaft Hosrepower (aircraft, ships). Horsepower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmelEduardo View Post
Brake horsepower (abbreviated bhp) is the measure of an engine's horsepower without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, generator, differential, water pump, and other auxiliary components such as alternator, power steering pump, muffled exhaust system, etc. "Brake" refers to a device which was used to load an engine and hold it at a desired RPM. During testing, the output torque and rotational speed were measured to determine the "brake horsepower". Horsepower was originally measured and calculated by use of the indicator (a James Watt invention of the late 18th century), and later by means of a De Prony brake connected to the engine's output shaft. More recently, an engine dynamometer is used instead of a De Prony brake. The output delivered to the driving wheels is less than that obtainable at the engine's crankshaft
Amsel, while I am impressed with your post, it seems as you have copied and then pasted. No problem with doing so, but you did not write that post. Your English is understandable, but you don't do as well as that.

I believe you are a valuable poster here, especially since you are deep-deep behind enemy lines. Maybe show a source of something so techinical, albeit understandably simple.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:33 PM   #6

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

it was cut and paste from a CD that I recived in a Caterpillar training ...Sorry for not put the source... the CD was a backup (copy) and only says TSRV003... is a course of diesel engines that I recived in the company that I used to work

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 03-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Cool. Great info.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-20-2009, 03:40 AM   #8

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Thanx for the info. I've heard on boiler horsepower and shaft horsepower but I've never heard of SAE hp either. Of course, I'm not a mechanic or anything.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380