Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Best Value - Firearm Safe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Best Value - Firearm Safe

I am looking at upgrading my firearm safe - the one I got almost 15 years ago was a cheap one and is in NO WAY large enough now. Which is good and bad.

I love the Graffunder Gun Vaults - But who the hell can afford them?? Good Lawd those are expensive.

So, I am leaning towards Fort Knox - but I haven't made up my mind yet, so I would be interested in hearing what you guys keep your weapons in to protect them.

My 'smith has a giant Cannon that he swears by, but the Fort Knox rep really made a good sales pitch at the Shot Show, so I am wavering..

Many Thanks in advance -

D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2008, 01:46 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am a Locksmith/ Gun Dealer and I have 2 of the AMSEC BF Series safes. I( find they are really well made, they are built in the USA (in California) The door is 4 3/4" thick, the walls/ body is 2" thick. I have one model BF6030 (so named cause it measures 59 1/4"highx30"widex26"deep) and at my shop I have the BF7240 which I keep all my handguns in to sell. The biggest one BF7240 weights just over 1,305 lbs. This line of safes is called BF due to it's Burglary and Fire rating.
The first real safe I bought I still use which is a "C-Rated Safe" that means the door is 1" thick solid steel and the sides/body is 1/2 solid steel. It is plenty heavy duty, just isn't fireproof.
Don't be fooled when you look at a gun safe, the door thickness is most important in the front, before you get to the bolts, I would want a safe door to be at least a half inch thick solid steel, any thinner and it's just too easy to get into with a 12lb sledge hammer. The extra thickness of most safe doors is merely from the fireproofing material used and that won't keep the burglars out!

BTW The Amsec BF series are 90 min fire rated, they don't sell a guarantee, they sell the finest quality instead, I believe most every "real" gun safe manufacturer offers free replacement in the event of a fire, what they don't offer is replacement for your valuable belongings!

Last edited by billdeserthills; 04-05-2008 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Had to speak out against Cannon

Old 04-05-2008, 01:49 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Cannon, rated 1200 degrees for 30 min, lifetime warranty, if its ever in a fire or somebody even trys to break in it they will bring it back up to spec free of charge, anything ever happens to lock or anything they fix it free of charge, and will come to your house to do it.

Last edited by Righteous; 04-05-2008 at 01:52 AM.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:44 AM   #4

Great info on gun safel. I'm filxing to apply for a FFL. Thanks for the info.

Robert

Old 04-05-2008, 03:34 AM   #5

ok well i got 1 from here seems there offer is just as good or better
http://www.sportsmansteelsafes.com/
check them out

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Old 04-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

hinges on the outisde the door........ Baddddddddddddddddddddd
go with cannon lol

Old 04-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you wanna hate the Sportsmans safes, do it cause he won't advertise how thick the steel is in the door (or sides) the fact that a safe has hinges on the outside of the door has no bearing on getting it open. All safes in the last 100 years (or earlier) with hinges outside the door use a hinge pin system, which is built into the back of the door. If you open the door up all the way on most any safe, you will see that when closed, there is a piece of metal that will overlap the hinge side from the inside of the safe or even a row of bolts, many times a thief will try to open a safe by cutting off the hinges, with no result, except that the guy who is later paid to get the door open (by the owner of the safe) now has to watch that the door doesn't fall off when opened!

see a real safe at:
www.amsecusa.com

Old 04-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I dont hate them......I just sell cannon

Old 04-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
I dont hate them......I just sell cannon

Doesn't Cannon have a "top of the line" safe? Like with a thick door?

Old 04-08-2008, 01:56 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

all cannons are top of the line sir