Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Best things I have found for general defense (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/best-things-i-have-found-general-defense-10215/)

bobbyb13 01-22-2009 10:42 PM

Best things I have found for general defense

Now, I'm 60 years young, and gave Uncle Sam his due 68 to 72. The best things I have found for keeping my homstead, and belongs where thay belong are 2 of the hatefulest pound found hounds I have ever seen. They mind well, stay in the truck, ignore 99% of people. You come on the porch, or touch the truck you are in for it. I know about liability for them but, I would not swap em for a new truck. Everyone in my small community knows them, everyone else steers clear. Funny part they are scared sh&&less of my wife.

CA357 01-23-2009 12:07 AM

They sound like smart dogs. ;)

gorknoids 01-23-2009 01:06 AM

My wife brought home a Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix that screws inanimate objects like he's intending to get paid for it.

hillbilly68 01-23-2009 01:17 AM

Im with ya, doggies are the best deterrent. Especially when they aren't away at work with you or are somehow awakened by anything outta the ordinary.

live2offroad 01-23-2009 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorknoids (Post 64711)
My wife brought home a Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix that screws inanimate objects like he's intending to get paid for it.

Dude, I just laughed beer onto my keyboard.. Too funny..

Musket 01-23-2009 11:38 PM

I suppose my Avatar is self explanatory:

"Smithers...loose the hounds" :D

bobbyb13 01-24-2009 04:12 PM

Oh Lord help me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorknoids (Post 64711)

Thank you for this statement, so much. I near had a stroke laughing. I owe ye.

bobbyb13 01-24-2009 04:13 PM

Outstanding

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musket (Post 64999)
I suppose my Avatar is self explanatory:

"Smithers...loose the hounds" :D

Outstanding looking beasts they are.

Musket 01-25-2009 01:02 PM

Thanks sir :D

Rhodesian Ridgebacks AKA South African Lion Hounds. Used in Rhodesia to guard the home front and then hunt lions with the master.

These two weigh in at about 100lbs a piece. (typical RRs run about 80lbs)

The interesting thing is that ridgies by nature do not bark much, so when they do you KNOW something is up. You might get into my house, but you are NOT getting back out. :)

Although, I did discover that the older dog knows how to bay. The creepy teenage neighbor kid walked close to the house one day--unknown to me. The puppies suddenly started lunging at the window, and big dog let out this combination ROAR--RAUUOWWWWWWWWWBAAAAAAUUUUUUUU. :eek:

I thought they had spotted the devil, and I think the kid probably wet himself. I looked out the window to see him going the speed of light--he heard them through the walls of the house. hahaha

It was the first time I had ever heard him bay, and he only does it rarely.--when he thinks something dreadful is going on.

The funny thing is that they are a couple of babies in real life. Although I expect that if you raised a hand to me--you would lose that hand pretty quick.

Do you have a pic to post of your truck dogs??

Musket 01-25-2009 01:03 PM

as a PS, even though they are both purebred, they are also "pound hounds".

I have rescued RRs for years and love the breed.