Best start for a gun noob - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Best start for a gun noob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 05:23 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 123 Times on 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog
+100 on starting with a .22lr. The ammo is dirt cheap and that should keep you shooting.

-> The more you shoot, the better you'll get and being a good shot means more than caliber size, always.

--> The more you shoot the more exposure you're likely to get. Rent guns at the range and find whats comfortable for you. Being comfortable with a firearm is by far the biggest factor that determines whether you will keep shooting it.

---> When you get it narrowed down, keep ammo prices in mind for the caliber you're considering because you'll want to keep shooting as much as possible. Size matters, experience matters more. Yes, ...just like that
Very true, exotic calibers means exotic prices. That's why I like my 9mm. my ar. and ak. All three are pretty much the cheapest centerfire rifle/handgun calibers to shoot. If you can't afford to shoot it, not so much fun.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:32 AM   #22

Also shotguns are a good start also. I coach kids trapshooting and busting clays at any age is a definite confidence booster. Out of all shooting sports I probably am the best at trap. Ben doing it since I was a young kid and dad taught me. I would say that was my introduction to firearms.. Dad bought me a Beretta 682 trap O/U in middle school. I didn't own my first 22lr. untill after I graduated high school. My son has both and probably enjoys the trap gun more than the rifle.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #23

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2041 Times on 1130 Posts
Likes Given: 6118

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerode View Post
Apart from just rushing out and buying a gun I want to actually learn about guns and from there make a wise decision as to the right gun.

I'm not a hunter so I'm thinking I'd like a handgun and eventually a ccw permit (to join the rest if my brothers).

Any thought on books, publications, blogs, websites, etc as to where I should start?

Thanks!
I had to re-read the OP after all of these replies.
I was beginning to think he asked "what should my first gun be"?

But no, he really was asking for sources of information to learn.

For 1911 type's, I like some of the info here.
http://www.m1911.org/m1911dt.htm

Old 10-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #24

Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Depends on how much cash your wanting to spend. You say your just wanting to target shoot and maybe conceal carry. That rules out rifles unless your wanting to buy more than one gun. For conceal carry the 22 is just not a the best choice. It usualy is the first caliber you start a little kid off with.I started my four year old off on a 10-22 rifle.
If your limited on cash i would suggest looking at charter arms revolvers in 38 special.They are good quality guns and wont break the bank. Shooting factory ammo they dont have a lot of recoil and are very easy for beginners to learn on. They come in nice small frame sizes for conceal carry and you can buy some hotter ammo later on for that purpose although a standard factory 158 grain 38 is pretty efficient on a human.
If you want to spend a little more you can with a smith and wesson and the choices are pretty large.I would go with a J frame with a hammer so you can learn to shoot single action first double action shooting take a little more practice to master.You can buy a j frame in 357 magnum like a model 60 and just fire 38 special in it and pack the 357 magnum for conceal carry after you practice a little with it.
The thing about guns is like said before itsa hard to find a multipurpose gun. For conceal carry you need a small light gun with a short barrel. For real target shooting a long barrel heavy gun works best. For hunting a larger caliber longer barrel.
From what I gather your asking about I think your mainly thinking about a gun for concealed protection but you can also go have some fun at the range with.There is a large selection of ammo out there for self defense. So i suggest getting basic cheap 38 special to learn on and start a thread in here asking the members about there choices and why. You will have a number of choices there and will come down to a personal choice in the long run.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenut58
Depends on how much cash your wanting to spend. You say your just wanting to target shoot and maybe conceal carry. That rules out rifles unless your wanting to buy more than one gun. For conceal carry the 22 is just not a the best choice. It usualy is the first caliber you start a little kid off with.I started my four year old off on a 10-22 rifle.
If your limited on cash i would suggest looking at charter arms revolvers in 38 special.They are good quality guns and wont break the bank. Shooting factory ammo they dont have a lot of recoil and are very easy for beginners to learn on. They come in nice small frame sizes for conceal carry and you can buy some hotter ammo later on for that purpose although a standard factory 158 grain 38 is pretty efficient on a human.
If you want to spend a little more you can with a smith and wesson and the choices are pretty large.I would go with a J frame with a hammer so you can learn to shoot single action first double action shooting take a little more practice to master.You can buy a j frame in 357 magnum like a model 60 and just fire 38 special in it and pack the 357 magnum for conceal carry after you practice a little with it.
The thing about guns is like said before itsa hard to find a multipurpose gun. For conceal carry you need a small light gun with a short barrel. For real target shooting a long barrel heavy gun works best. For hunting a larger caliber longer barrel.
From what I gather your asking about I think your mainly thinking about a gun for concealed protection but you can also go have some fun at the range with.There is a large selection of ammo out there for self defense. So i suggest getting basic cheap 38 special to learn on and start a thread in here asking the members about there choices and why. You will have a number of choices there and will come down to a personal choice in the long run.
.22s have killed more people than any other caliber. Plus if you but the upgraded 22 ammo. Like cci stingers, quick shock, velocitor, mini mag. I wouldn't want to be in the business end of that. That 38 special is gonna get boring real quick. Unless you need a defense gun daily, it's more a tool than a toy. A tool you pray you never need. In that respect a tool that isn't that enjoyable. I have shot plenty of revolvers and they are ok for fun. But shooting high volumes of rimfire ammo that is more accurate and cheaper. I'd go for fun before self defense. You can still use a high capacity mag that's more accurate than a five shot snubbie and feel confidence that you're safe. Unless you are planning ccw go for the 22. The absolute multi purpose, kill, feed your family, have fun without breaking the bank, no regrets, glad you bought it, shoot more than the rest or you money back. Period.....

Old 11-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 770 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 2909

Years ago I bought every gun magazine to hit the stands.
Finally realized,
Most writers never tested a gun they didn't like,
as mentioned earlier.
I always enjoy the writings of the late,
Col. Jeff Cooper.
Must read for gun owners, and all Americans.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #27

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadecorp
Col. Jeff Cooper.
I concur.
Excellent starting source for anyone new to guns.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #28

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadecorp View Post
Years ago I bought every gun magazine to hit the stands.
Finally realized,
Most writers never tested a gun they didn't like,
as mentioned earlier.
Col. Jeff Cooper.
I have to agree. Why bother testing the gun if you hate it by just reading the specifications and looking at a photo?

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/