Best start for a gun noob - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Best start for a gun noob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 01:05 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 11-19-2012 at 02:04 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-26-2012, 01:31 AM   #12

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I'd probably recommend a Savage mark II. It's a good bolt gun and runs only at $160. If you want a semi I'd say the Ruger 10/22.

For a 22 handgun, I'd say a Ruger Single Six. Your probably going to want to start with a .22.

-Matt

Last edited by Blueguns; 10-26-2012 at 03:33 AM.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #13

Liked 123 Times on 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSeenOnTV
Ya, don't believe everything you read in gun magazines. The writers get to do reviews on guns and if they keep putting down the gun companies that send them 'free' guns, soon they wont get many packages on their doorstep. So they mostly always have to have a positive opinion on the review. Ask the guys here on the forums who own the guns and then get many opinions on each. Eventually you will sort out the rubbish.
I agree. I never but a gun without googling reviews on it first. Even if someone on this forum can't help make an educated first hand response. Google will put you on hundreds of forums for said firearm. And yes a 10/22 ruger is fun. Mine is reliable and dead on accurate. I did all the modifications and out of every gun I own, this is the most fulfilling. Hunting, plinking, low cost all day enjoyment with friends, cool factor.... Etc.

forumrunner_20121030_170017.jpg
Old 10-30-2012, 11:38 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Nice Ruger!

? I didn't think it was ATF-friendly to use a vertical grip on a "pistol"? How did you get around that, or am i confused?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #15
At least my puppy loves me.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1889 Times on 1047 Posts
Likes Given: 5679

Fun stuff http://homestudy.ihea.com/contents.htm
Lever Action, Bolt Action, Pump/Slide Action, Cylinder, Single,Break .....

Since your primary request was for information that you could digest, learn and use for a decision, read some posts then go do some research on the web.

This Forum had a fairly good search function.

Wikipedia is pretty good also.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_action

Last edited by KG7IL; 10-30-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: add link

Old 10-31-2012, 05:09 AM   #16

Liked 123 Times on 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Nice Ruger!

? I didn't think it was ATF-friendly to use a vertical grip on a "pistol"? How did you get around that, or am i confused?
Your right. I found that out later. Older pic. grip removed

Old 10-31-2012, 05:49 AM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Welcome to the forum! First off, thank your brother (and anyone else in the family) for his service!

Not to beat a dead horse here but defiantly go with a .22LR to start. Ruger 10/22 is great for a rifle and there have been a TON of .22 clones of full size handguns coming on the market lately. You can get anything from a revolver to a 1911 to an AR-15. Ammo is cheap, and you don't have to deal with recoil which can mess up a new shooter's form real quick.

Just like Sonic said, most of us started with a 22 and progressed from there. Hell, my brothers-in-law and I have just about any caliber and make you could think of in full power firearms but still have some of the most fun with the different variations of 22LR we collectively own!

Old 10-31-2012, 06:02 AM   #18

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

It would seem with a gun owning family you would have many teachers and guns?

Old 10-31-2012, 06:13 AM   #19

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

While it's not a good carry weapon unless you are a big guy a 357 with a 6.5" barrel is the most versatile gun on the planet. It's handy on the range. It's a great nightstand gun. It's a great truck/car gun. It has enough power to kill the engine on a car when your psycho girlfriend tries to tear your house down (really happened to me). It's a one shot stop weapon. I can go on but this article says it better.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/most_versatile_handgun.htm

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-31-2012, 06:14 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

+100 on starting with a .22lr. The ammo is dirt cheap and that should keep you shooting.

-> The more you shoot, the better you'll get and being a good shot means more than caliber size, always.

--> The more you shoot the more exposure you're likely to get. Rent guns at the range and find whats comfortable for you. Being comfortable with a firearm is by far the biggest factor that determines whether you will keep shooting it.

---> When you get it narrowed down, keep ammo prices in mind for the caliber you're considering because you'll want to keep shooting as much as possible. Size matters, experience matters more. Yes, ...just like that

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson