Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Best start for a gun noob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Best start for a gun noob

Everyone in my family has a gun except for me. They all know all about guns and I want to join the rest of the family.

Apart from just rushing out and buying a gun I want to actually learn about guns and from there make a wise decision as to the right gun.

I'm not a hunter so I'm thinking I'd like a handgun and eventually a ccw permit (to join the rest if my brothers).

Any thought on books, publications, blogs, websites, etc as to where I should start?

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Well, you are here already, so look around for threads of gun pictures to see what has eye appeal and then do some reading.

The trick is that not all firearms are intended for all firearm jobs/functions; you don't buy a semi-auto AK-clone for concealed carry, etc. The most concealable handguns won't often be as much fun at the range as larger handguns with longer barrels.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 10-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Your in the perfect place to get started. This forum is full of great, very knowedgable people that wouldn't hesitate to help you.

We usually recommend a .22 as a first gun. They're cheap, and easy to shoot. The choice of wether you want a rifle, or a hand gun is up to you. Just make sure to follow all the safety rules of firearms (don't point it at anything you don't intend to shoot, it is ALWAYS loaded no matter what, ect). When it comes to choosing a gun, you need to get one that feels good to shoot.
Go to a gun shop and hold different guns, Find one you like. If you want to know anything about that gun, you can always ask us here.
You should also get your family involved in helping you. Go to the range with them, try their guns, learn from them, ect.
I hope that answers your question.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #4

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Welcome...start right here! Ask any questions you like. I'll offer this;

A revolver is the best place to start for Hunting. But don't expect a single firearm to do it all. A typical Hunting gun will be too large for CCW. And a CCW handgun will have a short barrel, not real good for longer distance shooting for hunting.

There are two types of Revolvers. A SA or Single-Action Revolver and a DA or Double Action Revolver...learn the differences. I highlite the differences with Revolvers below

If you are thinking about a semi-auto you need to understand the differences and how they operate ...start with learning these terms;

Types of Actions:

Single Action-trigger performs the single action of releasing the hammer or striker to discharge the firearm each time the trigger is pulled. example:Colt 1911 and Clones, Browning Hi-Power
DA/SA(Double Action/Single Action)- This mechanism will cock and release the hammer when the hammer is in the down position, but, on each subsequent shot, the trigger will function as a single action. examples; Beretta 92, SIG P229, CZ 75
DAO( Double Action Only)-The trigger both cocks and releases the hammer or striker. However there is no single action function example:Sig Sauer DAK, Ruger P-series (some)
Striker Fired-works without a standard hammer or firing pin. Instead, the firing pin, or “striker”, sits captive under some spring tension inside the slide while the gun is not being put through the firing process. example; Glock, Smith and Wesson M&P

The best way to understand what Single Action and Double action is to think of a Double Action Revolver. There are two ways to fire a DA Revolver. 1)Double Action- simply pull the trigger and the hammer retracts back and then releases and fires, it's a long pull of the trigger that performs this operation. 2) the other;Single Action- pull the hammer back with your thumb, the hammer is now cocked, when you pull the trigger with the hammer in this position it will fire(release) with a short crisp pull of the trigger.

...a Single Action Semi-Auto is no different. except you don't have to pull the hammer back with your thumb, it is done by racking the slide. Subsequent rounds will rack the slide for you(by recoil) when fired, ready for the next shot. Watch this, towards the end you can see what happens when firing;

...hope this helps. If you learn these differences, you will know more than many gun owners out there. We have many knowledgeable members here that are willing to help

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Last edited by Sonic82; 10-26-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Dillinger Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #5

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 11-19-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #6

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Agreed, as others have said...a .22 is where most of us got started .And, a .22 will always be the most cherished firearm you will ever own.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.
shadecorp Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #7

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 11-19-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #8

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

If your getting a rifle to cant go wrong with a basic 10/22

Old 10-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #9

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Your not from the bird watching forum are you?

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 10-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70
Your not from the bird watching forum are you?
Haha... no certainly not.

I'm not that into hunting, neither is my family. We just REALLY believe in the 2nd amendment. My younger bro has a federal permit to sell guns but he's currently serving in Afghanistan.

I can see though that I certainly came to the right place to start learning about gun and gun ownership!

Anyone ekse have tips?

Thanks y'all!