Best Military News I've Heard Lately - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Best Military News I've Heard Lately

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This is something to celebrate. There was a news report on FOX the other day, about this bill. It profiled a female Marine that had been injured, and was discharged stateside after medical release for ongoing rehab. Her dog was still within it's expected service life, so it stayed in theater. (The dogs are birthed in a military facility and are expected to serve 4 to 8 years). The cool part was that under this bill, she was able to adopt her dog upon discharge. It was a hell of a reunion! There was a time when 90% of the dogs were destroyed after completeing their service. Now, 90% are adopted, usually by their handlers. There are casualties, and there are those that are "damaged" in the course of their service, deemed unfit for rehoming. All are now handled, in death, as US personnel.

Once in a while, Congress gets something right. Too bad it always takes them so long.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #22

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

When or if anyone knows/finds out, where, and the process to do so...

I'm a vet, and I would love to adopt another vet of the K9 variety. Nothing like sharing your war stories and beer with another vet.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #23

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
When or if anyone knows/finds out, where, and the process to do so...

I'm a vet, and I would love to adopt another vet of the K9 variety. Nothing like sharing your war stories and beer with another vet.
Exactly. Ill adopt a brother in.....paws myself. We had a dog in my platoon in iraq. He was an awesome dog. Only time in my life iv ever seen a belgian travern(sp?) In person. My bio teacher in HS bred em and said they are great dogs

Old 01-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #24

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybaccus View Post
This is something to celebrate. There was a news report on FOX the other day, about this bill. It profiled a female Marine that had been injured, and was discharged stateside after medical release for ongoing rehab. Her dog was still within it's expected service life, so it stayed in theater. (The dogs are birthed in a military facility and are expected to serve 4 to 8 years).
Quote:
The cool part was that under this bill, she was able to adopt her dog upon discharge.
It was a hell of a reunion! There was a time when 90% of the dogs were destroyed after completeing their service. Now, 90% are adopted, usually by their handlers. There are casualties, and there are those that are "damaged" in the course of their service, deemed unfit for rehoming. All are now handled, in death, as US personnel.

Once in a while, Congress gets something right. Too bad it always takes them so long.
Love hearin that

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET