Best method to bolt down a safe?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Best method to bolt down a safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default Best method to bolt down a safe?

Just picked up a new Field & Stream 260lb 10 gun dial safe a few days ago. Just got it unboxed and into position on the basement floor. Now, itsa time to secure it over the weekend.

Never done this before and looking for any good suggestions on how to go about this. I believe my safe has 2 pilot holes at the bottom but I would like to add 2 more for extra security.

Anyone have a decent, easy method for this process? I'm not sure what hardware, what kinda bit, etc. I'm fairly handy w/small jobs but never done this before...I wanna do it ONCE and be done with it! Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I assume you are talking about bolting it to a concret floor. If so just go to HomeDepot or Lowes and buy some Hilti (or equiv) concrete lags. You take a hammer drill and drill a hole in the floor, then you insert the lag and tighten it down. The base expands in the concrete. You then unscrew the bolt and place the safe over the holes and then insert the bolts and tighten them down.

Do you really need more than two? Do you really even need any -- 260 pounds plus the weight of stuff in it sounds fairly secure to start with. I know, just because one is paranoid does not mean that people aren't actually after them - but it sounds like over kill.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 324 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Buy a tube of Liquid Nails...if it's full of guns and ammo and has that between it and the concrete...its not going anywhere.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Last edited by KimberFan; 03-01-2013 at 02:06 PM.
StainlessSteel215 Likes This 
Old 03-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #4

Kirbi that was a very direct response and makes sense, thanks man and I think you are right....4 may be overkill. Its sitting on a small basement, down a narrow flight of steps, and carefully hidden behind storage bins (which I know are empty and takes me 5 seconds to remove to access safe

Mucho appreciated

Old 03-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberFan View Post
Buy a tube of Liquid Nails...if it's full of guns and ammo and has that between it and the concrete...its not going anywhere.
I would worry about a permanent bolt-down secured with liquid nails because we will probably only be in our house for another 5 years or so. I will have to move the safe at some point and simply going inside and loosening the bolts would be ideal. Im looking for a semi-permanent solution not a permanent one
Old 03-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 324 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
I would worry about a permanent bolt-down secured with liquid nails because we will probably only be in our house for another 5 years or so. I will have to move the safe at some point and simply going inside and loosening the bolts would be ideal. Im looking for a semi-permanent solution not a permanent one
Yeah, you darn sure won't get it up to move if you use this stuff. It will suck it down for good.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

dango Likes This 
Old 03-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1539

I'd say at least two bolts just to reduce the chance that someone might pull it over on themselves accidentally.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

dango Likes This 
Old 03-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #8

Well I'm happy to say that this safe now that its packed with guns & ammo just packed on at LEAST another 40-50lbs. Its gotta be well over 300lbs now. Im a big guy myself and tried to gently rock it to test....didnt BUDGE!

Next will be to find a clever way to illuminate the darn safe because its pitch black down there! Looking at some cool LED workaround videos on YouTube

Old 03-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 876 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
Well I'm happy to say that this safe now that its packed with guns & ammo just packed on at LEAST another 40-50lbs. Its gotta be well over 300lbs now. Im a big guy myself and tried to gently rock it to test....didnt BUDGE!

Next will be to find a clever way to illuminate the darn safe because its pitch black down there! Looking at some cool LED workaround videos on YouTube
you'd be surprised how enterprising young thieves can be. Bolting to cement floor is not that difficult. They make lights for the dial and inside.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8888 Times on 3848 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

If it is not too late, I would urge you NOT to set the safe directly on concrete, but to use some wood as a shim between safe and concrete. Does not need to be much- 3/8 plywood.

MOISTURE will wick thru concrete, and bottom of safe will rust. As far as securing, yes, lag shields, drill hole with the right sized masonry bit and a drill. Use a punch from inside safe to mark the floor (that way, holes in safe line up with lag shields) Use GOOD quality lag bolts- have had the cheap crap snap off when tightening.

BTW, one major reason for bolting down is to make it harder for a thief to tip it over- they can use prying tools much more effectively on a safe laid on its back.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.