Best firearms magazine?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Best firearms magazine?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

Default Best firearms magazine?

I subscribe to 5 firearms magazines ( Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times, Gun Tests, Gun World, and Gun Digest). So far my favorite is Guns and Ammo. Very concise and informative. Give me your opinions and insights.

Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #2

Liked 187 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Not really a gun magazine but does have gun articles in it most of the time along with a boat load of other good things that I read is "The Back Woodsman" most of things it covers when it comes to fire arms are more of the older black powder style but it also has things in there about survival and what not.

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 01-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #3

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

I'm leery of G&A nowadays...I'm a subscriber and do enjoy reading it, but I think a LOT of it is paid adverts for manufacturers, under the guise of journalism.

I bought a "Counter Sniper" rifle scope after they first featured it on the cover, and then a couple months later wrote up a positive review in a comparison article that included other TOP brands. Words like "big and tough", as well as statements as to how well it performed the box test. Were mentioned.

Weeks later, I saw the scope in sportsman's guide, with the obligatory "US Military issue" moniker. Long story short, like a dumb @$$ I yanked the Monarch 5-20 BDC and sold it to buy this "military" optic.

The scope is a TOTAL pos...

THANKS G&A!!!

Old 01-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7192 Times on 3828 Posts
Likes Given: 552

Im a fan of the backwoodsman too. The only magazine i sorta like is shotgun news. But thats more for the classifieds than anything.

Typical gun rags do more harm than good in my opinion. Most of the articles are anything but objective.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." ó L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #5

Liked 1130 Times on 726 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I'm leery of G&A nowadays...
Yeah me too.. I tried some data they published for the Type 99 Arisaka, and their "minimum" loads were a little too hot... Now my Arisaka is so copper fouled I dont know what to do... Ive scrubbed for days and used so many cleaners to and it hasnt even made a dent in it... and I have a small hairline crack near my bolt handle from trying to extract the stuck brass...

THANKS G&A!!

My favorite read? Right here on this forum!!

Old 01-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #6

Liked 987 Times on 635 Posts
Likes Given: 270

everybody here should be a NRA member. then you get one of their magazines

Old 01-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #7

Liked 1130 Times on 726 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
I am but they always send me the wrong magazine... Ive asked 5-6 times to send the rifleman mag.. but they just continue to send the hunting one I could care less about...

Old 01-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
Yeah...I get the American Rifleman...but again, the very same issue that they gave the Versa Max shot gun the "shotgun of the year" award, I'll be damned if I didn't roll on a few pages farther and see a huge ad RECALLING them. For some problem that they all apparently had.

I still enjoy the mag tho...just take it all w/a grain of salt.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #9

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have subscribed to all of them at one time or another, usually half a dozen at a time. Currently the only one I am subscribed to is Gun Tests, though I get the digital version of Guns, Guns & Ammo, and American Rifleman. This is a letter I sent to one of the gun magazines when I decided not to renew my subscription:

Honest Reviews?
Let me preface this by saying that I am a lifelong lover of guns and shooting. In my approximately 50 years of shooting I have used every type of firearm, from the smallest of vest pocket pistols thru crew served machine guns. As a result of this experience I am forced to conclude that your writers are the luckiest people in the world. They get to try both the latest and the greatest of firearms and get paid to do it. Also, they apparently have never found a firearm that they didnít like. If they did they havenít bothered to mention it to us. I have never seen a quote that is similar to the following: ďIf you have a choice between ABC MegaBlaster and a rock, choose the rock. Itís cheaper, more reliable, easier to throw, and you donít need a permit to carry it.Ē In fact I have never seen a substantially negative statement about any firearm ever reviewed. People rely on your reviews to make informed choices. If all of your reviews are sugar-coated to avoid offending current or potential advertisers you are failing in your duty to your readers. Iím sorry but not all firearms are created equal, some need to be flushed like the c*** they are.
Sincerely,

Old 01-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve666
I have subscribed to all of them at one time or another, usually half a dozen at a time. Currently the only one I am subscribed to is Gun Tests, though I get the digital version of Guns, Guns & Ammo, and American Rifleman. This is a letter I sent to one of the gun magazines when I decided not to renew my subscription:

Honest Reviews?
Let me preface this by saying that I am a lifelong lover of guns and shooting. In my approximately 50 years of shooting I have used every type of firearm, from the smallest of vest pocket pistols thru crew served machine guns. As a result of this experience I am forced to conclude that your writers are the luckiest people in the world. They get to try both the latest and the greatest of firearms and get paid to do it. Also, they apparently have never found a firearm that they didn’t like. If they did they haven’t bothered to mention it to us. I have never seen a quote that is similar to the following: “If you have a choice between ABC MegaBlaster and a rock, choose the rock. It’s cheaper, more reliable, easier to throw, and you don’t need a permit to carry it.” In fact I have never seen a substantially negative statement about any firearm ever reviewed. People rely on your reviews to make informed choices. If all of your reviews are sugar-coated to avoid offending current or potential advertisers you are failing in your duty to your readers. I’m sorry but not all firearms are created equal, some need to be flushed like the c*** they are.
Sincerely,
Agreed...and good point. Like I said, take 'em with a grain of salt, and you can't go wrong.

That's one interesting avatar there, btw...